True Detective

Odine

What Tank said. Highly recommended. I blew like 6 hours last weekend shamefully binge watching it, and it was completely worth it.

Also, I wouldn't judge Matthew McConaughey. He's had one of the more remarkable career reversals of anyone I can remember in Hollywood. I used to think like you did, but gone are the days where he just makes bad romantic comedies. He's had the opportunity to take more serious roles now, between Mud, True Detective, Dallas Buyers Club (where he won the best actor oscar, mind you), and his short but memorable role in Wolf of Wall Street. He's basically revealed himself to be a legit actor.

The stuff I hear about this show makes me think it is right in my wheelhouse (inspired by Thomas Ligotti!?!? references to pre-Lovecraftian horror mythos? a really pretty girl gets naked in the first one?!?) but between it, Bates Motel, and Hannibal I can't really decide what critically acclaimed serial killer show I'm going to end up watching. DECISIONS DECISIONS

Yeah, it's been pretty intense and layered. It's where you pay attention to even the most seemingly-superfluous scenes (compared to the main case), like Marty and Maggie's disintegrating relationship, because it only ends up revealing more about these characters.

I want to think I got it figured out who it is, but I can't put together the how and why. (Same problem I had with Usual Suspects.)

Just got watching the final. Intense is the word i'd use. Well written, directed and acted. Can't see how they'll repeat the success as this show demands a lot of it's single writer and single director, unlike the teams that are put together for other shows.

What a show! I'm only 3 eps in so no spoilers are appreciated but it's got me hooked!

From the title sequence of the first episode they got it right. Brilliant song, and lovely post work. Especially the shot with woody harrelson's face and the highway circular on/off ramps forming around is face like a skull. ****ing awesome. I wanna binge watch the rest of the season!!!

i'm going to try and start it tonight. hopefully i can get 2 episodes in before bed. except for his rom-com domination in the 2000's, i've always enjoyed Matthew, for some reason. a time to kill, reign of fire(i know, a lot of people cant stand this movie, but i'm gay for it for some reason), frailty, we are marshall and lincoln lawyer, which was hella fun. great thriller.

Just got watching the final. Intense is the word i'd use. Well written, directed and acted. Can't see how they'll repeat the success as this show demands a lot of it's single writer and single director, unlike the teams that are put together for other shows.

Hence there being only 8 episodes, written well in advance and shot at their own pace. Maybe there will be a writers room for season 2, or maybe not, cause this worked pretty well. Just finished it, I had a few issues... VERY few over all. I felt the eventual villain was a little easy given the build up, and I feel like the intensity peaked with the episode that had the raid on the drug house. I thought the finale shoulda tried to top that. Also, it was pretty clear the interview scenes with Rust were shot early on, not long after Dallas Buyers Club. Once the show moved into the present in the second half of the season Mathew Mc looked a lot healthier despite the character being pretty broken by then.

But these are nitpicks in an otherwise near-perfect show.

• 2 weeks later...

I just binged on this show yesterday watching all eight episodes. Incredible. I really wanted the Tuttle family to be a bit more involved. Maybe that is for the next season. I am a sucker for any movie/ TV show in which the setting becomes a prominent character in the movie. The bayous of rural Louisiana felt as essential to the show as any character.

I agree with most of the sentiments here on this format is the future of TV. I think of Battlestar Gallatica. I LOVED this series, but there was a lot of filler. I think the show could have gone down as one of the greatest of all time if it was four 10-12 episode seasons rather than four 20+ episode seasons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.