Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

I love my kids but I need a break sometimes

Totally legit. And I hate the judgement you get (and women get it tenfold) when you say this. Everyone needs breaks.

I'm on a week on week off custody schedule that I enjoy very much.

This. I love my kids. They're crazy amazing people, and I'm with them by choice all day every day. But HOLY SHIT am I looking forward to them being gone all weekend in a few weeks!!! I think it's about 50/50 of me needing a break from them and me needing a break from constantly filling their needs. Actually, no. It's more like 30/70. I just need to not spend all day fixing snacks and meals, changing diapers, reading this ****ing Baby Einsteins "Babies" book for the 20th ****ing time, listening to a bunch of YouTube morons play Minecraft, or having to fake excitement when my son shows me the new house he built on Minecraft that I ****ing swear looks EXACTLY like the last 50 houses he built on Minecraft but OH NO this one has an extra window or the bed hides some secret tunnel or the ****ing TORCH IS ON THE OTHER WALL NOW (holy hell, child, did this really require all new construction?!?!?) I would like to eat something for lunch other than chicken nuggets or PB&Js! And I would like to spend at least one day walking around my house without stepping on a Cheerio or goldfish cracker or wooden block or my 16 month-old.

And the entire time they're gone I'm going to miss them like crazy and want them back home.

This. I love my kids. They're crazy amazing people, and I'm with them by choice all day every day. But HOLY **** am I looking forward to them being gone all weekend in a few weeks!!! I think it's about 50/50 of me needing a break from them and me needing a break from constantly filling their needs. Actually, no. It's more like 30/70. I just need to not spend all day fixing snacks and meals, changing diapers, reading this ****ing Baby Einsteins "Babies" book for the 20th ****ing time, listening to a bunch of YouTube morons play Minecraft, or having to fake excitement when my son shows me the new house he built on Minecraft that I ****ing swear looks EXACTLY like the last 50 houses he built on Minecraft but OH NO this one has an extra window or the bed hides some secret tunnel or the ****ing TORCH IS ON THE OTHER WALL NOW (holy hell, child, did this really require all new construction?!?!?)

You're a monster.

Totally legit. And I hate the judgement you get (and women get it tenfold) when you say this. Everyone needs breaks.

I'm on a week on week off custody schedule that I enjoy very much.

Wait...people judge others for saying this? There's nothing wrong with saying you need a break from your kids. These are probably the same people who blog all those ****ing Facebook stories about how awesome they are and they know everything. Tell 'em to fuck right off.

Oh gosh, I just had my graduate students and their families over for dinner. It was a great time, but it ended up being 18 people along with my dog and me. It was exhausting getting my house set up for it while also having to teach today. I hope to never do this on a work day again.

My parents have a tankless one and it is really nice, but I can't get one here because the water is very hard. Amazingly, the plumbing company was able to install a new one yesterday, the same day they initially came out. They also had to come back after hours, too, though because the initial soldering of the gate valve didn't take, causing water to leak as it went into the heater. It's all fixed now, though, fortunately.

Everyone I know who has a tankless hates it. I'd always wanted one.

I liked replacing the last one I did when I owned a house cause we had a trickle of hot water before. I took a 45 minute shower.

Speaking of houses, I looked up my first ex house on zillow. CRAP, the newest owners remodeled the shit out of it.

Pretty sure previous owners of our house would be shocked. We started with taking out a wall and turning out tiny kitchen and separate dining room into a larger kitchen, new siding, new roof, put a cedar fence up, took three (sick) trees down and finally got rid of our crappy shed. Next up is getting rid of the old people landscaping that takes up a quarter of our yard

Tankless heaters are great, if it fits your needs. Some places you might not be able to get a tankless that will tolerate the flow variance you need. Most houses you could find one though. The biggest disadvantage is definitely the vulnerability to hard water fowling. The hard water buildup that takes years to kill a 50 gallon water heater takes months to destroy a tankless. I wouldn't get one without a treatment system of some sort (but then, we have really​ hard water). You can get electric ones too, there are a ton of them on the ski hills around here to run snowmelt.

Currently I'm trying to teach my daughter how to read. It is a struggle and I get so frustrated. Finally, my husband said, you know, the reason she has such a hard time is because she wants you to stay in her room with her. I asked her if that was the truth and she said it was.

I am ****ing furious. Of all of the examples I have tried to be for her, I have NEVER endorsed not knowing something for attention. If you know me, this makes me livid. I know she is a smart kid, but she is in for a rough life if she keeps this up. I can't even right now.

She's always done this, even as a toddler. "What color is the flower?"

"I don't know."

"What letter is this?"

"I don't know."

I don't have this problem with my son. I'm convinced he's going to be a genius because he doesn't sandbag me! The most unfortunate part is that as a girl/woman, she can't do this or she will be written off.