Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

I figured it was something like that. I was only in town for a little while, so I didn't even go into the main part of downtown, which I've heard is a mess, but I am so glad I had a GPS with me. Otherwise, getting around would have been absolutely terrible. The only city I've been to that struck me as worse was Boston and I didn't even drive there.

San Antonio is not well laid out.

Not in the least. They basically just paved over a bunch of old Native American and horse trails.

Houston's just overpasses built over swamp land. Plus pay attention to signs for exits and toll roads or you're screwed on their highways - I am looking at you exit to I-45 off I-10 downtown and the weirdo entrances to HOV lanes.

To be honest I hate gridded cities because gawd, traffic lights galore. I can't stand driving in Tucson.

It was inside the city that was annoying. The loops around the edges are something I am quite familiar with, so I am used to, as are the frontage roads alongside the highways going through town. There were just a number of intersections I came across that were horribly designed, such as ones sitting at the top of a hill with no left turning lane, prompting everyone behind me to start honking their horns.

The only problem I had with the loop system was due to a GPS error in telling me to get in the wrong lane.

Meanwhile, I love gridded cities, especially when they are well designed to not have tons of traffic lights on main roads and even more if they also have some convenient highways and/or loops to help out, too.

Meanwhile, I love gridded cities, especially when they are well designed to not have tons of traffic lights on main roads and even more if they also have some convenient highways and/or loops to help out, too.

Gridded cities without lots of traffic lights? Do those exist? Seattle has a really good grid system, but tons of lights. And the highways are a mess.

San Antonio is not well laid out.

Not in the least. They basically just paved over a bunch of old Native American and horse trails.

Houston's just overpasses built over swamp land. Plus pay attention to signs for exits and toll roads or you're screwed on their highways - I am looking at you exit to I-45 off I-10 downtown and the weirdo entrances to HOV lanes.

To be honest I hate gridded cities because gawd, traffic lights galore. I can't stand driving in Tucson.

Well yeah. When you have that many major highways converging in the middle of the city, it gets tricky. Reading usually helps though.

Houston's highways are laid out wonderfully. We have 4 loops around the city (or mostly around it) and highways that bisect in all cardinal directions (N/S, E/W, NW, SW, SW/NE) and the highways are colloquially named for their direction/destination (Northwest Freeway, Easttex Freeway, Gulf Freeway, Katy Freeway, North Freeway, etc.)!! Traffic's still a bitch though.