Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

Dammit! I finally got my last part in this morning to fix my shower, but I screwed up the one part I absolutely could not screw up. I had to carefully cut off the bonnet nut that holds the cartridge in place, but I accidentally cut through it too much and ended up going through the pipe the cartridge sits in. As a result, with the shower turned on, the water now sprays from this little cut I made. So now I need to end up getting a plumber to come in and fix this, which will probably be far more expensive than it would have been initially.

They're coming tomorrow, though, which is nice. Fortunately, though, if I have the water turned on to the house, it only leaks a little bit, so I can at least use some water still this evening and in the morning.

On the bright side, though, at least now I've got a drill, rotary tool, and some other devices and accessories if/when I need them.

There's a water cut off valve in your shower that will cut the water to the shower head only so you can keep your water in your house. At least there was for mine. If you can reach in through the hole see if you can find a twistable valve handle to flip. This will help you if you pay a water bill. It should be just below where the thing sticks out for the cartridge attachment.

From what I can tell, there isn't a shutoff like that in my house for either shower. If the plumber has to go through the drywall in the closet behind my shower, I'm going to see if he can put in an access panel with a cutoff like that in it, though. It has been incredibly annoying turning the water off to fix this because the only one my house has is outside with the meter. That is apparently the norm in my area.

Aw that sucks. I think when i got pissed and smacked the thing with a wrench it came out to 259 bucks to fix it but i had the shut off valve. I think i got lucky on that. I don't know what plumber rates are like where you live. They fixed my running toilet for free too while they were there.

Krawlie the vacectomy didn't take?

I'm not really sure what rates are like here either. I just went with a plumber I saw many good reviews for online. We'll see. At the moment, as long as this can get fixed properly for something remotely resembling a reasonable price, that's all I really care about.

Only 4 posts on this page so far and all of them are about plumbing!

Dammit! I finally got my last part in this morning to fix my shower, but I screwed up the one part I absolutely could not screw up. I had to carefully cut off the bonnet nut that holds the cartridge in place, but I accidentally cut through it too much and ended up going through the pipe the cartridge sits in. As a result, with the shower turned on, the water now sprays from this little cut I made. So now I need to end up getting a plumber to come in and fix this, which will probably be far more expensive than it would have been initially.

They're coming tomorrow, though, which is nice. Fortunately, though, if I have the water turned on to the house, it only leaks a little bit, so I can at least use some water still this evening and in the morning.

On the bright side, though, at least now I've got a drill, rotary tool, and some other devices and accessories if/when I need them.

My first ex-husband encouraged all homeowners to try their own repairs before calling in a professional because THIS.

My first ex-husband encouraged all homeowners to try their own repairs before calling in a professional because THIS.

Getting the tools or needing a more expensive repair? ;)

Oh gosh. I'm so sorry, too. Some of my close friends and family went through this within the past few years (not to mention my parents well before I was born) and I know it was really tough for them. I hope that you are able to get the support that you may need, whether it is in person or even just through knuckleheads like us online listening.

I am so sorry. A good friend of mine just had one at 20 weeks. It's been awful. She had to wait about a week before she could get in to the hospital to deliver, which in itself sounds horrific.

I was actually coming in here to bitch about how so done with being pregnant I am. Such a sharp reminder of how blessed I really should be feeling.

A miscarriage is worse than pregnancy, pregnancy is worse than having a newborn, having a newborn is a portion of life that you just try to survive, and is therefore not exactly great.

So... Yeah. Kids are horrible except they're also the best thing ever.

Something to look forward to:

We've always worked with Noah to help him identify and properly express his emotions. He's actually much better at it than most 7 year olds, but now we have to deal with statements like "Guys, sometimes you just make me feel like I'm not really free, ya know? I feel like I'm not allowed my own person." Which is somehow at least better than, "Dad, sometimes I hate you. But...but...*TEARS OMG THE TEARS* I still love you!!! And I know you hate me too, but I know you love me too. But I just hate you sometimes. *more and more and more tears*" (This was the day we learned to identify frustration and how to distinguish it from hatred.)

Kids are a blast.

I finally got the handle off, but now the damn bonnet nut is stuck, too. Stupid home repairs. :angry:

That's the nice thing about renting: I can just call my landlord when something goes wrong, and let him deal with it!

I miss that at times like this. Granted, I also hated calling maintenance. It wasn't because they were slow or did a bad job, though — far from it. They were always fantastic. I just always felt like I was being a nuisance even though I know that wasn't the case at all. It's just part of my personality :shrug:

I finally got the shower fixed this morning. Unfortunately, it just cost a not insignificant amount for the repairs at this point due to my screw-up since the faucet had to be replaced altogether.