Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

That sucks. At least they gave you the best stuff.

I would have to do them with a toddler on top of me.

Ive seen tons of Waldorf videos of how to teach calisthenics to kids Lukes age. Do it together. And you can count it as a PE credit.

I really want that one Waldorf balance board with the labyrinth on it that you have to move the ball through, btw. I may treat myself once Im employed again.

Testing is the most boring thing in the whole school year. Today a kid went through and just picked all the A's and I was like, NOPE. But he said, I'm done! Can I go out and play? I made him start over again. No playing outside even though you're finished, dude. Playgrounds closed. I can only imagine what my principal would say if half my class did this and was out on the playground shooting hoops. So now he's pouting in the corner of his carousel reading his questions.

How dare you post something beautiful and life giving? This is the internet!

(But really thanks, that is great work and it did offer a pick me up)

Remember how I said that Luke was so uncooperative at his speech evals that he's probably going to test crazy low?

Got the scores today. Communication skills - 1st percentile. Cognitive abilities - .1 percentile (yes...that's a decimal. one-tenth percentile).

Apparently my toddler is a vegetable.

Dylan did not score well initially either. I feel for you. It was super frustrating because I knew Dylan understood so much and I even understood a bunch (and at the time he was even worse than Popeye), but the eval staff were all so... and I had to get like Momma Gump... well except without the bedroom stuff. Dylan is blossoming now though (still Popeyeish in speech, but getting better).

I actually feel somewhat vindicated today.

Noah actually had to meet with the school's diagnostician today to finish his dyslexia testing, so he came to the IEP meeting with us. And so did Luke since there wasn't anyone at home to watch him.

Luke was his normal self. He played with the toys in the office with Noah almost the entire time. So when the Assistant Principal, general ed. teacher, and preschool for special needs teacher all came into the office for the whole IEP committee meeting, the diagnostician and speech pathologist had to go over their results and observations with the group. But everything they were saying about Luke was the exact opposite of the way he was behaving today. We all had a pretty good laugh. The speech pathologist was even like "I promise everyone, he really did do the things we wrote in here! He wasn't like this AT ALL!!" And I was just "yup, that's exactly how I felt every time he was in here melting down!!"

I am struggling with the school psychologist who keeps mistaking neurodevelopmental clinic for autism clinic. I told her I'm refusing to sign consent forms that she forgot about until after the fact until she fixes it. I'm annoyed because I'm trying to use their evaluation for the referral to the neurodevelopment clinic. Use the right name, lady!

Our son’s principal keeps bringing up autism, which is annoying because she’s the only person who does. No trained professionals suspect it at all, the teachers don’t, but the principal brings it up every meeting.

I really think because to some people, it's an easy answer, and because there is so much "awareness" that we're hypersensitive to anything that might possibly be associated with it.

Honestly, right now I'm actually worried it's a brain tumor or childhood disintegrative disorder. Something isn't right, and I'm super frustrated that it's so hard to get anyone to do anything about it. I about had a nervous breakdown this afternoon and called the pediatrician to ask for a neurology referral. Of course, it's a holiday weekend, but I seriously need someone to look at him in the next few weeks, not months.

I am not a doctor but as a teacher I completely understand your frustration. I feel terrible for students that struggle and not to be able to help as much as I can. School systems are not perfect. And the worst part is that actually diagnosing something can be even worse trying to get for small children. It's one of the things I hate about school. All the paperwork and BS. We are trained by the way schools are to pigeonhole something because it makes it easier for the system to function. You see now why some people chose homeschooling over public schools.

I really think because to some people, it's an easy answer, and because there is so much "awareness" that we're hypersensitive to anything that might possibly be associated with it.

Honestly, right now I'm actually worried it's a brain tumor or childhood disintegrative disorder. Something isn't right, and I'm super frustrated that it's so hard to get anyone to do anything about it. I about had a nervous breakdown this afternoon and called the pediatrician to ask for a neurology referral. Of course, it's a holiday weekend, but I seriously need someone to look at him in the next few weeks, not months.

It took us about a month to get into the neurologist, but we weren't the ones with any concerns, so I didn't push.

The entire idea of Twitter is "what if we took the comments section from other sites and made an entire website that's nothing else."

I deleted the app. Didn't mess around with deleting my account or making and type of "I'm leaving" post or profile update, but man, it's not good for you.

Remember how I said that Luke was so uncooperative at his speech evals that he's probably going to test crazy low?

Got the scores today. Communication skills - 1st percentile. Cognitive abilities - .1 percentile (yes...that's a decimal. one-tenth percentile).

Apparently my toddler is a vegetable.

Correction. Cognitive abilities was .01 percentile. You would think he should still be hospitalized and drooling on himself from a coma.

We pretty much went from George Washington was the first president to covering the Holocaust and then stayed there for 6 years.

We did Helen Keller in middle school - which lead to many Helen Keller jokes on the bus ride home. She was in there along with Laura Ingles and Lewis and Clark.

So I have given up having nice things. Someone rear ended me today on the way to school. It's a tiny little dent and some scuff marks but I hate Ranch Handler bumpers with a ****ing passion now.

That's just kind of straight up silly. They should be able to differentiate between uncooperative and unable. Or have a serious discussion with you regarding his abilities. Was this through school district?

Yes. They did actually mention that his scores wouldn't be accurate. But they have really nothing but my word that he's capable of more. So he's going to go to PPCD (preschool program for children with disabilities) in the fall. He'll be there 3 hours a day, and they'll work with him on speech and all of his "other" delays (of which they're not really sure there are any). So after being in there for a few weeks, we're all pretty sure they'll have a better idea of his abilities and capabilities.

Was this in the same school district that voted to strike Helen Keller from the history books?

Same state, yup. Not sure the district makes these decisions. But in the Hollen Homeschool, Noah had to read a Helen Keller biography last year.

Just found out today that my son qualified for a similar program, but for Kindergarten. I'm honestly relieved. There was no way he was going to be successful in a traditional Kindergarten class. I did meet the sweetest gen ed Kindergarten teacher as part of our evaluation results meeting, though. She gave me a lot of hope and reassurance that this is the right move. I wish my daughter had her back in Kindergarten, maybe we would have stayed in public school!

In the meantime, wish us luck getting into neurology and neurodevelopmental at the local children's hospital. Paperwork is a nightmare.