Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

Fozzie, you should go to an ER with a temp and issues like that, if your PCP is saying 3-4 days.

Thanks, I was already at an ER when I posted that. They're taking it seriously. They found that I developed pneumonia over the past couple days, so they have me on IV antibiotics. They also were treating my fever very aggressively. I had a nurse and a head nurse in my room last night. My heart rate is crazy too, which scares them. My normal resting heart rate is 70, now it's at around 110. Trying to experiment with eating but that has mostly gone poorly.

Have they checked your appendix? Seriously that is scary.

Appendix and gallbladder are both gone. My body is really weird and I was in the hospital for four days on morphine. The tests all came back negative, but my PCP has a son who operates on the hospital I was in, and they based it on symptoms. Turned out my appendix was ready to burst but it didn't look like it because it was turned 90 degrees. So who really knows what is going on now.

Damn dude-- at least you're on the mend now?

Sorry, that was confusing on my part. Appendix was about 8 years ago. Pain is still the same for now, but my fever broke last night and my heart rate is closer to normal. It was over 110 every time they checked it.

But I’m being treated better now by people who aren’t just giving me antacids and sending me home.

Yeah, it stinks. It's amazing how different the treatment is here. All part of the same system but now that I'm here, I've been in observation for two days and they're talking about fully admitting me for another two days. Maybe not if they can get a GI doctor in here today and get scope scheduled.

The guy in the room with me can't answer questions like where are you, what year is it, and believes it's December. The scary thing is, I'm getting more attention than him.

And now there's something wrong with my eye. My vision in my right eye is now worse with my glasses on than it typically is with them off, and with them off it's I can't even read what's on my iPod inches from my face.

Hooray for me!

I fly out to NYC for a few days on Friday, to celebrate my aunt's 80th birthday. My whole family is going and she has no idea we're coming. Should be fun. I'm also going to San Diego for a few days too, to meet up with Ayani (if anyone remembers her?). Last time I was in the US, I was 11, it'll be interesting to see how it matches up to my memories.

When I went to the States when I was younger, we did a tour down the east coast, starting in Niagara Falls and ending up in Florida, so I've never actually been to California. I'm staying in a pretty nice hotel too, so I'm looking forward to it.

Antibiotics I was on for pneumonia fixed the eye, and I'm no longer in the hospital. It was scary, at one point my heart rate and fever were so high that they had multiple nurses and a doctor in my room. Doctor was a quick check because he was from a different floor. They were shocked because I should have been completely out of it but instead could easily converse with them. It also helped to convince them that when I said my pain was 8/10 it really was, despite the lack of screaming and crying.

My abdominal pain is still present and still very high. I spend most of my time in bed, because sitting up for extended periods hurts, but so does eating, laying flat on my back, and I drove to the pharmacy today and thought I was going to die. But at least I know I can't drive. I went to the ER a few days ago, they gave me a nice shot of fentanyl and then gave me Vicodin for home use. It's helped me avoid going back to the ER, by keeping the pain no higher than 9/10. If I'm not unaware of my surroundings due to pain, I'm not going back. Which is what happened last week when I got the meds.

Meeting with a surgeon tomorrow, because there's potential for gallstones to be somewhere else in my system causing the problem, even though I don't have a gallbladder. I'm hoping it is something that can be surgically corrected, because that's obviously going to clear it up the fastest. Also hope he's willing to give me more pain meds, because I've stretched the three day prescription as far as I can. Also kinda hoping for a stronger medicine of some sort so I can do stuff like sit with my family, or play board games with my kids. Or just get out of my bedroom.

I'm going to have an MRI done sometime soon. I met with a surgeon today who ordered one. We're looking for some kind of blockage, or (hopefully not) tumor(s) that didn't show up on the CT. He said that the stuff he's looking for don't typically show up on a CT, but it does rule out pancreatitis.

Liver enzymes have been steadily increasing, but I'm having them rechecked as well. If they are going down, that's good. If they are the same or higher, that's not so good.

We belong to a Christian group I'm addition to our church, and people from that group have been providing meals, coming over to do chores around the house, and doing everything possible to help. My wife even had to freeze stiff because there were so many great homemade dinners. There's a big group of guys coming over to do stuff tomorrow.

Between knowing that we have this community, and the life insurance I have to protect the family, I'm frustrated, in pain, but I'm not scared of the worst case scenario.