Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

Surprise quitting is super fun. My last boss's mind was blown. He just nodded his head and looked vacant while I talked about how it was a good opportunity for me. I might not have enjoyed it so much if I hadn't asked him 5 different times to step into a different role and always gotten blown off because I was doing such a good job in a role that he thought made him look good (but leadership realized it was really all me and would make rude comments anytime he actually bothered to show up).

Is it just all the OT or do you have a jerk boss, too?

Way to go Fozzie!

I left a higher paying job in consulting to take a government job a while back. Seemed like a good idea at the time, as the fracking bubble has temporarily burst (as many foresaw). The only thing I didn't count on, due to lack of experience, were the personalities of the people at the new job. Imagine Denzel Washington in Training Day. I am hoping for a promotion in a few months, but tough to make it that long.

Congrats, Fozzie. That's a dream situation.

I'm starting school again today in the hopes of eventually getting a better job. My current one, I can tell they're trying to groom me into a mindless corporate future-middle manager/supervisor type position. While it's good I'm getting more responsibility and am impressing people, that is absolutely not the kind of position I want. Hopefully, once this year's done and I complete this program, I'll be able to find something better.

Good luck, Krawlie. And thanks.

Having kids and working is hard. It's like walking this damn tightrope all the time between paying for them and seeing them, and not hating life because work sucks so much.

I've had a few people ask me if I can help them get a job at my new company. Riding out the last 2 weeks doing nothing.

My current one, I can tell they're trying to groom me into a mindless corporate future-middle manager/supervisor type position. While it's good I'm getting more responsibility and am impressing people, that is absolutely not the kind of position I want.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm about to just give myself over to my fate, but trying to determine if I can use my "powers" for good instead of evil (or rather, just meh). Could I actually make things better for people because I do genuinely care about career development of others, and not just my own. But I soooo hear you.

Surprise quitting is super fun. My last boss's mind was blown. He just nodded his head and looked vacant while I talked about how it was a good opportunity for me. I might not have enjoyed it so much if I hadn't asked him 5 different times to step into a different role and always gotten blown off because I was doing such a good job in a role that he thought made him look good (but leadership realized it was really all me and would make rude comments anytime he actually bothered to show up).

Is it just all the OT or do you have a jerk boss, too?

My boss is great, but everyone above her is awful. I mean, it's such a bad environment that she was as excited as I am about leaving and I had managers stop by to ask me to email them if there are any openings. They seem to be actively trying to get people to leave at this point, even though that doesn't make much sense.

The final straw was when they announced that half of us were being put on a 10-6:30 shift and still being expected to work OT. That would literally set me up to never see my kids except when they're sleeping, so I started looking. And two days before it started, I got a new job. Now I'm taking PT and leaving early all but one day, but I don't plan on accomplishing much that day.

I keep trying to figure out how to start my own business. That is, what kind of business to start that will succeed. I keep coming back to ranching.

I have five B's on a shortlist: bees, butterflies, bats, birds, and breadfruit.

Also, perennial crops, like alfalfa for grazing and buckwheat for flour.

Dammit! I finally got my last part in this morning to fix my shower, but I screwed up the one part I absolutely could not screw up. I had to carefully cut off the bonnet nut that holds the cartridge in place, but I accidentally cut through it too much and ended up going through the pipe the cartridge sits in. As a result, with the shower turned on, the water now sprays from this little cut I made. So now I need to end up getting a plumber to come in and fix this, which will probably be far more expensive than it would have been initially.

They're coming tomorrow, though, which is nice. Fortunately, though, if I have the water turned on to the house, it only leaks a little bit, so I can at least use some water still this evening and in the morning.

On the bright side, though, at least now I've got a drill, rotary tool, and some other devices and accessories if/when I need them.

Dammit! I finally got my last part in this morning to fix my shower, but I screwed up the one part I absolutely could not screw up. I had to carefully cut off the bonnet nut that holds the cartridge in place, but I accidentally cut through it too much and ended up going through the pipe the cartridge sits in. As a result, with the shower turned on, the water now sprays from this little cut I made. So now I need to end up getting a plumber to come in and fix this, which will probably be far more expensive than it would have been initially.

They're coming tomorrow, though, which is nice. Fortunately, though, if I have the water turned on to the house, it only leaks a little bit, so I can at least use some water still this evening and in the morning.

On the bright side, though, at least now I've got a drill, rotary tool, and some other devices and accessories if/when I need them.

There's a water cut off valve in your shower that will cut the water to the shower head only so you can keep your water in your house. At least there was for mine. If you can reach in through the hole see if you can find a twistable valve handle to flip. This will help you if you pay a water bill. It should be just below where the thing sticks out for the cartridge attachment.