Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

My grandpa (mom's dad) passed away and my dad sent me a shitty email about it, trying to make me feel worse. I hope I'm just overreacting to it, but it really pissed me off. I'll find out when I call them later.

I have to be a pall bearer, which I don't really want to do, but it's not really something you can say no to, especially since they said they want all the grandsons to do it. We're all tall, but the shortest of us is at least 6 inches shorter than me so that's going to be an awkward carry, not to mention the fact that I'm almost certainly the weakest of us. I'm probably over thinking this, too.

I just realized this morning that with all the wildfires in San Diego County right now, it might be difficult to get up to LA tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Fortunately the email was a misunderstanding, and the pall bearing wasn't anything to worry about either. That was definitely one of the toughest emotional experiences I've ever gone through. I think Lyra was good for everyone, she was very well behaved and cheered everyone up every time she walked by someone.

I dread when my final grandfather passes. To be honest, I don't know if I will go to the funeral or not. The expectation is that I will be there. I've known for years that he wants me to read a letter that I wrote to him many years ago. It's just so expensive to travel for these societal rites of passage. And I don't know if I can be comfortable around my family. I already blew off a family wedding this past February (brother-in-law got married), so it sort of revealed to me that I can ultimately do what is best for ME. Damn anyone else's expectations. I honored my grandfather by being close to him and internalizing most of his values while he was alive. Me speaking over a dead corpse doesn't change that.

I didn't go to my grandfather's on my Mom's side 12 years ago. I kind of don't regret it because he really hated us - family. The only thing he loved was alcohol. He was cremated. So it was more of a little wake and then a relative took his ashes and flung them illegally into the Long Island Sound.

I recently realized that the guy who was the best man at my wedding is pretty much not a friend anymore, and the thing that disturbed me was the fact that it didn't bother me at all.

Like I said, the weirdest part is that I'm completely okay with it. I mean, the guy was my best friend for more than a decade, and I feel like I should care more.

We aren't super close to our groomsmen anymore, either. We're still friends, but having kids changed things. And 2 of them are now married/engaged to women who are kind of a pain in the ass.

Still fairly close to my bridesmaids, but the kid thing there, too. I just don't have time to chat on the phone as much and they all live out of state.

We aren't super close to our groomsmen anymore, either. We're still friends, but having kids changed things. And 2 of them are now married/engaged to women who are kind of a pain in the ass.

Still fairly close to my bridesmaids, but the kid thing there, too. I just don't have time to chat on the phone as much and they all live out of state.

I hardly chat on the phone at all now, I can't imagine what it'll be like after I have a kid. I just have no patience for it. I'll chat online all day, but on the phone? Nope.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a moment of empathy with Carrie Mathison the other day. I was shopping online for an Archer shirt for my husband for father's day (because I am the awesomest wife ever), and I was reading reviews for the shirt I wanted to get him. There were so many complaints about the fit, because apparently the size 2XL shirt was too small and fit more like a XL. My first thought was admittedly, well maybe you shouldn't be so fat.

I ordered my scrawny husband a medium, for the record.

You're shopping online for a shirt about a TV show. There's little that is more sedentary.

I used to have a few 2XL shirts from my days as a volunteer with a youth ministry program. For some reason the youth minister always thought we needed mainly M, XL and 2XL, so I would end up with a shirt that I was swimming in. Typically I wear a large.