Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

Guest El Chalupacabra

Good news for a change, actually. My dad is home now, and doing OK. He is able to walk short distances, and we have in home RN care AND care givers to help him out with stuff my brother and I can't do during the week (due to our jobs). Much better outcome than I imagined even 2 weeks ago. I just hope he keeps getting better, and we aren't fooling ourselves, but it feels like a weight lifted off me (and my dad and brother for that matter).

Yay. That is good news. I will send you good juju. Some things I have learned is check often to see if he's eating. Sometimes they forget. Also if they get tired they may not get stuff to eat because they don't have the energy. Time changes and seems to pass differently from the rest of the world.

My Grandmother in AZ is not doing so well. I'll be heading out Easter Week to visit with her possibly for the last time. She's refusing to eat and scared the hell out of me last weekend when I called because all she could say was "Help me" and "Cold"and she was alone in the house. She wants to pass away in her home and not in a hospital but the way my Aunt and Mom are behaving it's being left kind of up to the neighbors And there's already arguments over inheritance.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I am sorry to hear about your grandma, Spam. I guess I am lucky in that I don't have a large family, and that the family I do have, we get along for the most part. But it is sad to see families quibble over inheritance.

Thanks. I'm stressing like you were for your Dad. My Grandma wasn't perfect but she did things for all of her grandchildren and her children to help them and to see her treated this way as she's starting to let go of things is really making me mad. It will be hard for me to not say something.

Glad to hear things with your dad are going well. Sorry to hear about your grandma, Spam. So far I can only imagine the stress. Although after my dad died, my mom lived with us and I actually thought we were going to have to get her in a place that could care for her. I had to basically trick her into getting nutrition. I would make her smoothies and hide Ensure and vegetables in it.

I haven't pooped in two weeks. Ended up in the hospital. Turns out I'm just full of crap.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I am not sure if this is the case with you Fozzie, but with the many trips over the years to the hospital with both my parents, one thing I have seen is that when someone gets really ill, like pneumonia, sometimes the rest of the body systems tend to shut down. I hope that isn't the case for you, but I do hope for you a speedy recovery.

Im pretty concerned, to be honest. In addition to everything, I also have developed at least seven moles in the past month and theyre doing an MRI to check for a lot of stuff, including tumors.

Waiting for a doctors appointment, a woman leaving now (1:50 EST) had an appointment at 10:50. We may have to leave Im seen. Today is my wifes birthday and I have to pick up a cake. Ive already been waiting an hour.

The substitute doctor was able to diagnose me without reviewing any information in my chart, listening to me, or doing any type of exam. And it was something that was already ruled out. I am thinking of leaving the practice over it. She also ignored me talking about the moles. One is fairly large and raised, which I hear isnt great. Im going to try to schedule with a dermatologist.

Hey you British people, a friend of mine was wondering on Facebook yesterday what, if anything, is taught about the American Revolution in English and British schools. What sort of perspective do you guys get from there?

I don't think it was a big part of any syllabus when I was at school, but bear in mind that I'm trying to remember back 15, 20 odd years here. I do remember learning about the Blitz, the Russian Revolution and the Indian Independence (specifically remember my GCSE exam being on the Amritsar massacre...), but if we did learn about it, it was mostly about why it came about rather than what actually occurred, so the whole taxation without representation thing. Me being me, I read a lot of stuff about history, plus I've played Assassin's Creed 3 (which would have led me to read up on other stuff to do with the events to see how closely they match the real history), so any knowledge I have is mostly self-taught stuff. As for what perspective is taught, I feel like whatever we did learn was fairly sympathetic without being overly pro-American or pro-British. My secondary school was a CoE public school, by the way, so we would be going off the national syllabus.

Actually, remembering back, my A-level history class was taught by a really cool guy from Chicago, so maybe there's where I got the sympathetic bias from.

What do you do when one kid is behaving perfectly and the other awful? Katie was going to take them to the Wild Animal Park today... so does she reward the ****ty kid, or screw over the good one? I'm at work so I can't exactly help right now

In my opinion, everything I do for my kids is an act of love, and I try not to have that expression of love be dependent upon anything, including their behavior. But I apparently have pretty radical ideas about kid behavior and rewards/punishments.

This is why I stopped after one. He was well behaved and good looking, no WAY I'd be lucky twice in a row.

At least both of mine came out good-looking and smart even if only one is well-behaved by nature. We're definitely not testing our luck on this again though.