Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

I'm working a second job because my first job doesn't pay enough for finer things like vacations. If call center customer service does make you hate people you are broken. I mean seriously some of the stuff these people assume or are not able to read and comprehend doesn't make you want to smash something with a hammer... and I'm talking about my co-workers too. HAHAHAHA!

Yes, working in a call center will turn you into the love child of Smeagol and Palpatine.

In other work news, I applied for a promotion and... surprise, didn't get it. My boss (the ineffective twit I mentioned up-thread) told me with a straight face that I was turned down "because you are doing such an amazing job where you are now that we don't want to lose you." (New job would have been managing where I am right now.) I laughed and laughed, because I have been offered another position in a different department and I'm handing in my resignation to current boss on Friday.

I got passed over for a promotion due to my age. (They didn't phrase it that way, but that's what it boils down to.) Now I'm doing much of the work that my new boss should be doing, just without the title or pay. It sucks because I like the work, but I can't see myself growing at this organization. So, time to find something better!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Not sure if it is something I am just now noticing more, or it is an actual trend (I'm thinking since 2008 when the economy tanked and employers had to do more with less and stayed stuck in that mode), but it seems like more and more that in order to advance in your career, you have to continually switch employers. Counterintuitive because one would think you bust your ass, do a good job, and you (eventually) get promoted. That's the way it ought to work, but seems rare that happens anymore.

Is your pension based on district? We have it statewide. Teachers have their own retirement system, school employees who aren't teachers have one, and then pretty much all other public employees pay into Ohio Public Employees Retirement System. Working for the public library in high school and shortly after has certainly helped with that, giving me credit for three years towards my pension. I can retire at 64 with full benefits thanks to that happy accident.

My school district lets me chose my options. I love it. I can contribute to the state pension and/or I can have social security taken out. I went with social security. The Texas Teachers Pension actually invested 19 million of the teachers pension money in Bernie Madoff's scheme so my Mom was set back in her pension because of that loss when she retired. I sock away some money in a Roth IRA. I have some Pepsi stock too from when I managed Taco Bell as a general manager. At my second job I actually still get matching 401K deposits from that employer so I have some money socked away too from that because of the matching. The thing about that though is if you are a new teacher and leave to go to another district you may not have your Social Security quarters in to draw when you retire. You'd have to start over again in a new pension system which can suck. I think it's designed to make sure we keep teachers as my school district kinda sucks (we have some schools that are on academic probation but not mine as it is a charter school).

I thought your job was to be one of the rich liberal Hollywood elite.

Yeah. That's what I'm saying...

My job is a lot like that, only without the fame and fortune. But I write a lot and people get really mad if it isn't exactly what they wanted.