Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

I interviewed for a promotion at work and didn't get it. They gave it to another internal candidate who is newer to the company but much older than me. She works in a different segment of our department and has no knowledge of our work. So I need to train my new boss from scratch. The director will not be capable of doing this, as she is also new and has shown no interest in learning my side of the department.

Still trying to figure out how helpful I should be. My nature is to always give 100% and be a team player, however, due to the promotion/raise policies of my company, I will never be able to advance or receive a raise until this person leaves or is fired.

Personally, I think that our department is set up to fail on a number of goals this year due to staff turnover and general incompetence of certain players, but my husband thinks that blame will get pushed off on me. I plan to start documenting all requests, missed meetings and changes in direction via email so that I have a paper trail, but I do worry that overall department failure will come back to bite me.

Just not sure what to do.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I've been there. I agree with Fozzie 100%.

If it is as you describe, I wouldn't wait around for them to pin their failures on you, either. I'd speak up and make sure to set the record straight, if that happens. If I were in that situation, I would do everything required to do my job, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make someone else look good or allow someone to take credit for work that you do.

"Wow. That guy is just letting it all out." I exclaimed as my wife drove us out of the Walmart parking lot.

"What?" Asked my wife.

I explained, between sipping my Cherry Pepsi and taking some Advil, "The truck that drove by, more Trump stickers than paint. He had a custom front plate of a female silhouette doggy style with a Condeferate F*g on her."

My wife bursts out laughing.

I shrug, "Freudian slip, I guess. Might make a neat satirical comic book though."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Holy sweet baby Jesus! Quentin Tarentino looks like ****.

It's the stress of knowing he could have done more, but didn't.

He knew what Weinstein was about years ago but stayed anyway because he wanted to make movies.

Then again you can say the same for most of the victims. I would love to hear Seth's take on the whole Weinstien mess.

It's gotta be a hard thing to finally make it and then realize that the only way to move forward is to work for an absolute scumbag.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Totally NOT defending Weinstein at all. This is like Bill Cosby, but far worse. Weinstein is getting the shaming he deserves, and he may even deserve prosecution. Especially if allegations of rape are true. But it's weird how people are acting like no one has ever heard of the "casting couch," before. Not saying one should exist. Just that it's not like this sort of thing hasn't been going on since the silent movies.

I think that the point is that so many women are coming forward for the first time. And it fits the narrative of both parties. White man exerting his privilege to assault women and powerful liberal uses power to assault women.

Re: casting couch, from the outside looking in

(voyeuristic implication unintended)

The situations appear to be like this;

You do this you get this, no thanks, spite from those in power.

You do this you get this, uhh okay, promise delivered or not.

You do this you get this, no, raped.

All scenarios are gross, all scenarios should be prosecuted. Unfortunately, disgustingly, there are distinctions in those scenarios that allow some people to grant acceptability over the other scenarios, which is a societal problem.

Part of the problem with society appears to be apathy (acceptance of the game). Another part appears to be victim shaming. That of course stems from the prideful hindsight asseration which is, I wouldnt let that happen to me so you must have wanted...

How we tackle that as a society, beyond laws, may take time because it appears to require re-education.

Perhaps Hollywood could initiate changes to procedure, if they havent already or at least with new universality and maybe enforcement via unions, whereby these processes are more open and less private... not necessarily public. Perhaps with HR and other representatives present to maintain accountability through the process, plus contact during the process only through official channels. Similar to how non-entertainment industries have attempted to minimize the occurances of such abuses.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How do you job search in another city, particularly one youve never even been to? Like I know to search job boards and sites for that area, but what do I do with my resume and how to I wordnitnon a cover letter? Weve got a handful of areas were interested in moving to and Im having a hard time figuring out how to start.

How do you job search in another city, particularly one youve never even been to? Like I know to search job boards and sites for that area, but what do I do with my resume and how to I wordnitnon a cover letter? Weve got a handful of areas were interested in moving to and Im having a hard time figuring out how to start.

I like areavibes, to research a place. Glassdoor for jobs, and a little bit of Flex Jobs and Remote.co.