Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

Also, today has to be the day. HR isn't willing to even consider unpaid leave, they tell me that I have to do my job, my boss and I discussed the fact that I'm not doing my job acceptably, so there just can't be any other alternatives.

I find it confusing that they can terminate you despite a documented disability, but if they do, you'll definitely be eligible for unemployment.

Well, somehow it hasn't happened yet, but the writing is still on the wall.

And the reality is that anyone can do anything at any time, its just a matter of how much the potential consequences keep them from doing it. I'm making it more difficult, but I can't imagine that there isn't a tipping point.

My doctor just expressed concern when I told her I had an IPA or two one night, and she was like "you really shouldn't drink more than one alcoholic beverage a day" and I'm like... I drink one or two beers like ONCE A WEEK.

Sometimes I aspire to be the person my doctor thinks I am. She's having way more fun than I am.

And the reality is that anyone can do anything at any time, its just a matter of how much the potential consequences keep them from doing it. I'm making it more difficult, but I can't imagine that there isn't a tipping point.

Well, not fired but I am on leave for 90 days with only long-term disability benefits available.

Well, not fired but I am on leave for 90 days with only long-term disability benefits available.

Is 90 days considered long term? How limiting are those benefits? Are you getting paid?

Can you look for/take another job in this period? Want me to cut anybody yet?

I can and will be looking for a job. The good news is that this job paid enough over my last job that the worst case scenario is income equal to what I made in January. So, a cut, but not poverty.

I'm surprised that they're offering the long-term disability, but it works for me. Probably because I could make things even more difficult for them if I wanted to.

I went for a physical, told doctor I was having a lot of difficulty losing weight despite being very active (13k steps a day, on average). His response, don't eat so much. Cut your food intake by 1/3.

A THIRD? Buddy, how much do you think I'm eating? Kind of pissed me off because I was probably taking in 2,000 calories a day. I did start counting calories very carefully and I'm down 10 lbs in 2 months, but shit, dude. A nutritionist he is not.

Fozzie, good luck with the job search. I recommend LinkedIn if you're not on there already.

I changed doctors when my last doctor's parting shot was "you could try eating an apple once in awhile."

I mean, okay, first of all, RUDE, MUCH.

Second of all, at the time half of my food intake was green smoothies.

He was also convinced my entire problem was my weight. Um, nope, I definitely have a chronic illness. The weight is a symptom. But I would have never had a diagnosis or proper treatment had I not switched doctors.

I don't understand how some doctors can continue to practice.

Doctors love to blame people's health problems on their weight. Sorry, but I can hike ten miles through rough terrain on a 20 minute mile pace- being fat ain't slowing me down. My physicals are always great as far as cholesterol, heart health, and all the other stuff but the doc always writes "chronic obesity" in the notes lol.

Anyways I changed the title of the thread. This might be the first moderator thing I've done in years?

I don't have much of an issue with doctors counseling people on food choices because diabetes and obesity are a huge (no pun intended) issue in my family. But they need some updates on nutrition and they need to actually look at what their patient is eating instead of making assumptions. I've gotten better nutrition coaching from personal trainers than my primary care doctor. That's sad. Nutrition is very misunderstood and has way too much misinformation out there. And what Icy's doctor said was just plain rude and unprofessional. If he felt her diet needed to change then he needed to offer real suggestions instead of smartass quips.