Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

HA! I too had weirdo mother problems for New Years Eve.

My sister has had kidney failure. She spent almost all of Thanksgiving in the hospital. The doctor has been telling my sister that the kidneys are failing and she's going to be on dialysis until she gets a transplant. Because she smokes she will probably be low on the list but I can't remember how it works. Back when she got the first kidney transplant I was younger and didn't pay much attention. My brother gave it to give my sister life and to avoid military service. 18 years is apparently a pretty respectable time for a kidney to go. They told my sister way way back in November - I was witness - that she is probably going to start dialysis in the new year. It sunk in to my Mom tonight. So she's raging at the world and pissed off and the blaming everyone for a KIDNEY. Tim asked me to call her so I decided to forgo my New Years Eve plan to visit downtown and see the lights and walk a bit to call her.

She is pissed that Tina has to do the dialysis that goes through her tummy through a tube. She blames Diane, my step mom, calling her a ****ing bitch and if Dad hadn't married her everything would still be good. So trying common sense I said "You know, Tina would still have kidney issues if you stayed with Dad." And the phone slams shut on the other end. Sigh.

The thing is Tina is scared of doing this alone. My Mom wants to be angry at everyone but doesn't want to go with her to sit while she goes through the process. I feel bad that I'm 898 miles away. Mom just wants to talk nonsense because really she's mad that her life turned out the way it did. And meanwhile the person who suffers is the person who needs my mom to be strong and unselfish.

She still rails on about Karl leaving her penniless. She's not penniless. She has a paid of house and money coming in from Social Security. WTF does a person who won't leave the house want?

I can't deal.

Ugh, I so hear you. A few days before Christmas, a dentist called and said that my mom was being evasive about giving consent and contacted me because I'm MPOA. I said she got confused sometimes (this isn't the first time I've had to do this). So when we talked on Christmas I asked what that was all about and she said, "Well, I can't give consent, I don't have rights any more." I sighed and told her that MPOA is for when she is incapacitated or unable to give consent, and that the POA she signed over to me is so that I can handle her financial affairs be a use she pretty much refuses to do it herself. I'm not even her guardian and she's not considered legally incompetent or anything. It's BS like this that I constantly have to deal with. Also right before Christmas, my jerk aunt in San Antonio hit my grandmother after taking her phone away from her and controlling access to her, and my uncle went and got my grandma and took her back to Denver. So now he's stuck with my grandma, who can't live independently, either. But my grandma wants my mom to move near her, so my uncle asked my mom if she would want to move to Denver instead of Seattle, so I told her to think about it and after thinking it over for a few days, she said we should look into it. Today she asked if I had talked to my uncle yet, because she hadn't (once again, I have to do everything for her). I told her I could call tomorrow, and she responded that she was "surprised" that I had acted so relieved that she wanted to move to Denver. I told her that she was projecting that and I just wanted her to be in a good environment. I guess the proper response when she suggested it was to break down sobbing and begging her to move to Seattle tomorrow. I already know she expects me to just show up and do everything to make a move happen, and drive her stupid van 2,000 miles out here as well.

You know what, it would be a relief, because if she's down the street from me, she's going to expect me to visit all the time and I can expect to deal with this crap constantly. Sounds awesome.

My son's favorite color is red. Always has been, even when he was a baby. Sometimes when he's choosing a color option for something and red isn't available he chooses pink because it's closest to red. Today we went to buy him an 8 drawer rolling cart for storage in his room and the only color options were white and pink. Naturally, he wanted pink, but I found myself wanting to talk him out of it just because I know someone is going to give him grief about it.

Parenting is hard.

Pong and I were stuck in the same horrible traffic jam between Olympia and Portland the other day. Had I known during the worst of it, I would've told him to pull over and find a bar.

When I had to go to Portland a couple weeks ago it took me 6 hours to get there. SIX. MOTHERFUACKING HOURS.

My son's favorite color is red. Always has been, even when he was a baby. Sometimes when he's choosing a color option for something and red isn't available he chooses pink because it's closest to red. Today we went to buy him an 8 drawer rolling cart for storage in his room and the only color options were white and pink. Naturally, he wanted pink, but I found myself wanting to talk him out of it just because I know someone is going to give him grief about it.

Parenting is hard.

Buy pink stuff for him, anyway. If he sees you defending his personal choices, he'll learn to defend other people when they need it. I hate it that toys are divided by color because of some dumb societal expectation that makes no sense, and that parents and kids both get judged for picking the "wrong" color or toy or whatever. I can see how parenting must be a challenge when you have to fight these battles over the most mundane things, like what color your child prefers.

We bought the pink. So far, nobody has mentioned it. But he's using it to hold all his arts and crafts supplies. So I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

We already defend his adoration of Disney "princess" movies and love for all Bath & Body Works products and scents. Seriously. Parenting is hard. So glad I'm not having a girl.

I already told my mom that when I have a kid, I'm not putting up with any comments from anyone about what my child does or does not like. Oh no, your son likes princesses and Bath and Body Works? That means he'll learn to appreciate and respect women and smell nice. HOW HORRIBLE.

Seriously, gender roles and expectations are the worst. You're a good parent for letting Noah do what he wants.

OMG! I was like "I can YouTube this!" when I had to change my shower cartridge. I was able to get the handle off. The attempt to get the stupid cartridge out was my undoing. I got so pissed because it wouldn't come out no matter what I tried I bashed it with a wrench and ended up having to call a plumbing company. SIGH.

I have decided just to get a drill (which I know I should have anyway) and drill the damn thing out and replace the handle with a "better" one. I really hope that I can get the cartridge out easily enough, but I'm now doubting that due to how hard our water is here.

If I remember rightly it controls water flow and temperature to your shower head. Mine looked like a white African fertility doll and it turned out the replacement I bought at Home Depot would not fit so the plumber was actually my savior because they had to special order the replacement.

What's a shower cartridge?

I believe that Spam had it right. It is what stops water or lets it go up to the shower head. It sits right behind the shower handle and/or knobs. Eventually, those washers at the bottom of the picture Spam posted can weaken, which keeps a seal from forming with the water pipes. This allows water to travel up to the shower head to drip out, even when the handle and/or knobs are turned completely off.

Until I get these last pieces of equipment, I at least have attached some string up on the shower head that passes over the hole the water is dripping from so that the water will travel down that and I don't have to hear the ungodly annoying dripping noises any more.

My big stressor is gone. I had applied for a job that I completely forgot about. They called me this week, I did a phone interview and got to meet with the hiring managers today. After the interview, they asked me to stick around while they talked. The came back offering me a better job than the one I had applied for, and $15,000 a year more than I make now, along with working 8-4:15 Monday-Friday. And my commute is going from 45 minutes down to 15 minutes. So I could work an hour over each day and still get home 2 hours earlier than my current job.

I accepted it on the spot.