Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

Amen sista!!

My uncle died 2 days before my last assignments and final were due. Thankfully they put the funeral off until tomorrow. Today. Wednesday.

I did manage to eek out 3 As though. So I shouldn't complain.

Ugh.

I had to quit. I did some digging and talked to a few other people in the class. Apparently the prof had never taught cal 2 before, let alone taught the online course. And it wasn't just me, he really did throw things into the test that weren't covered in the material. The best way I can describe it is it was like me telling Noah "oh so since I know you can multiply now, find the pressure with the given temperature and volume of this reaction." Just crazy out of nowhere stuff. I'm considering talking to the dean about it. So I got to the point where I just had to give up or sacrifice my other classes. I'm retaking it over the summer as a 6 week class since I couldn't drop it anymore.

Actually Trevor pretty much made me give up on it. I was in full on meltdown mode (tears, screaming, throwing pencils, yeah) and he just turned off the computer and told me to stop because it wasn't worth it.

Ouch, sorry, didn't realize. Sometimes there's a right time and a wrong time to take a class. And professors absolutely do matter. I had a professor kind of like that in grad school. She had a really hard time expressing what she wanted from you in homework ("Show how the stagnation point changes." That apparently meant make a ridiculous graph over some arbitrary parameters, not do a derivation.) I set the curve on the final exam but somehow "failed" the class (less than a B is failing in grad school).

Try again over the summer, but I would advise ONLY taking that one class. Calc 2 is the hardest one, and on a shorter time frame you have less time to struggle with a concept.

I'm taking it on campus. I want to turn in my work on paper to a human being.

By the end I was much more comfortable with the math. I felt back in the groove with trig and algebra. I would fly through the homework with nearly perfect scores, but then fail every single test. I've always been a great test-taker, no anxiety or anything. So this was surreal to me. Almost every other math class I've ever taken (including cal 2 the first time), I'd never do the homework, get a good score on the tests and quizzes and eek out a barely passing grade. I know it's been a little time, but I doubt I've changed that much.

To give you an example of the insanity of these tests, the last test before the final, which I didn't do, he wanted us to use a webcam to give a "presentation" of each problem on the test. There were 8 problems, and he wanted each uploaded individually to YouTube. AND he gave us less than a week to do it. AND it was due the same day as our final which had to be taken at a proctored testing center. I'm sorry, but filming and uploading 8 presentations during finals week all on infinite series? For a test that's not even the final?! AND THEN taking a 5+ hour final!?! There's just no way. Maybe if that was my only class and I didn't have a child and other responsibilities. Maybe.

I love Texas, but Cerina and I grew up in this state. I can't imagine Oklahoma. I lived there for two weeks for a state fair when I was little as I showed goats. I remember dust, brown land and being scared in the place where we had our goats penned during a bad storm.

I like the idea of moving to northern Minnesota, the UP, or in rural-ish new England. I can literally move anywhere other than Mississippi and already be in a better school system for my kids.

I do like Texas though. I spent a lot of time in lake Jackson, brazoria, etc. and its a cool area.

My wife is planning some type of "fun" reveal on Facebook. I'm all like "Can't Facebook figure it out when they're old enough to have an account?"