Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

Why do you have to pay her phone bill?

Because she is broke as hell but doesn't qualify for government assistance because the way she and my dad worked out alimony was totally stupid and it's just screwing her. It's only $25ish a month to have her on my plan... at least it was until she got canceled for roaming too much so for the next few months I'm paying $50/month for her phone until we can switch carriers and all get on a family plan again. I'm the only member of my family who isn't a total jerk about money, so I pay it to make sure she has communication available.

I have heard horror stories about special needs trusts going horribly wrong if the right language isn't used. I never thought about alimony having similar problems. That really sucks. :(

As much as it sucks to have to babysit another adult, I think that $25-50 per month is reasonable to give you some peace of mind that she has access to basic communication.

Here's hoping that your stress level kicks down a few notches soon! Although a new baby has a good chance of causing at least some stress in the early months (or years, or decades) ;)

They still have roaming??

I NO RITE? She gets signal so WTF. Frigging Nebraska.

I have heard horror stories about special needs trusts going horribly wrong if the right language isn't used. I never thought about alimony having similar problems.

We have a very tiny special needs trust for her, too. I can never get a lawyer to give me a straight answer on how to manage it (what's allowed, what's not, how to get my jerk aunt removed since she basically psychologically abused my mother, etc). Mostly because I think they're trying to jack us for billable hours. Or they're just too small town to figure it out. Half of the reason she is broke is because she never sends me a receipt for anything to reimburse her, and because I don't entirely understand what I can reimburse her for. Some of it is obvious, others, like hospital bills not covered by insurance are less clear. But this is what I mean by being the adult. I can't knock on her door and say "give me the bill" because I live 1,500 miles away. I can nag her all day long, she won't do it. I have to get them on my annual visit to see her. I've bought her tools to make it easier for her to communicate with me or send documents to me, and they all never get out of the box, or if I do take them out of the box and set them up for her, she doesn't use them. But the alimony screws my mom because my parents didn't write it into the divorce agreement as being specifically to pay for her care (getting her in and out of bed, getting dressed, getting her some cereal and milk before they leave, etc), so it just looks like my mom gets money but every cent of it goes towards paying these people to provide my mother with basic needs.

And yes, it is totally worth the $25/month to not have to hear my family members complain about how my mom "owes them" and never pays them back.

I asked him again.

Me: Why don't you know what the sun's made of?

Noah: UUGGHHH! It's like a planet. But actually it's a star. A big star. Like a planet but with more light. And bigger.

Me: But what's it made out of?

Noah: I DON'T KNOW!

Me: Why not?

Noah: I'm just a kid! Not an astronaut.

I asked him again.

Me: Why don't you know what the sun's made of?

Noah: UUGGHHH! It's like a planet. But actually it's a star. A big star. Like a planet but with more light. And bigger.

Me: But what's it made out of?

Noah: I DON'T KNOW!

Me: Why not?

Noah: I'm just a kid! Not an astronaut.

I am starting to really love this kid. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All my co-workers are bitching about their terrible raises and performance evaluations this year. Meanwhile, I got my second year in a row of an awesome raise. Obviously, I am laying low and keeping my mouth shut. But then 2 of the guys who have been complaining the loudest have dumped work on me today, at 8.9 months pregnant (not even kidding, slightly less than 5 weeks to my due date, I am frigging huge). Do you know why you got such a bad review? Because your management realizes you suck, and that I actually do work around here.

One of the guys I just made the changes for, because it does reflect poorly on me if he puts out something crappy (and my manager has asked me to not let poor quality things like this through). The other one I threw it right back at him because he's my peer (another supervisor), and he knows it's not my job.

I can complain to our manager (although he's already aware of it), but I have no power to actually take any corrective action. Hence why I said I quit this stupid lead role when I have this kid. It was great timing for ripping off the band-aid. My manager still begged me not to quit today. I do good work for them and they know it. They also know that any one who replaces me is not going to do as good of a job.

I can do rewards, but they still require mgt approval. I have rewarded 2 of them for good behavior lately, but they both keep doing the same stupid crap over and over. One of them it's laziness, the other one is just horribly inefficient and stubborn.

Did I mention that my performance is pretty much solely judged on whether or not these manbabies complete their work on time? I can't wait to be a grunt again.

Have a weekly meeting an hour later than the latest report to work time. 2 out of 3 manbabies have not made it in yet. I'm telecommuting because I felt so awful yesterday that I was an emotional wreck and could hardly walk. I'm done helping them. I hope I have this kid soon so that they get stuck with the work I'm supposed to finish.