Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Worst Superheroes?

42 replies to this topic

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts

I'm gonna go with Robin. Robin is so old that we've forgotten how bad he is. He's the original Wonder Twins, a lame proxy to damper the coolness of the main character in order to sell comic books.

Nonsense. Certainly, he might've been presented as such in the first couple of decades of his creation, but Robin would later become awesome in all of his incarnations.

The first Robin, Dick Grayson, is one of the greatest characters in the DC Universe and, certainly, in his later identity of Nightwing as leader of the Teen Titans. He's just as formidable as Bruce Wayne, even taking up the mantle of Batman a few times during Bruce's absense.

The second Robin, Jason Todd, later became the awesome antihero, Red Hood, who became every bit the badass Batman is. Even when he was Robin, he possessed a no-nonsense, take-no-bull attitude that separated him from his precursor.

The third Robin, Tim Drake, became one of the greatest minds of the DC Universe and would go on to lead his own group of Teen Titans. He's one of the few people to deduce Batman's identity.

And, lastly, Damian Wayne, the son of Batman and Talia al Ghul, had been trained by the League of Assassins since he could pick up a sword. At only 10 years old, he was one of the deadliest fighters of the DC Universe. For a good portion of his career as Robin, he served alongside Dick Grayson's Batman, while it was presumed that Bruce was dead. Their dynamic was interesting in that Damian was the more serious crimefighter, while Dick was more of the happy-go-lucky hero he always had been.

All great, great characters.

Edited by Mercury, 24 February 2014 - 03:17 AM.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts

Yikes.  All of those sound horrible to me.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Thinking that Robin is horrible is not understanding Batman.

Robin is rad. Without Dick your beloved solo Batman would just turn into a total psycho, you gotta have Dick. Robin is Batman, the mirror, the pain, it's all there. Batman saves Robin from being cursed to be Batman and in turn Robin saves Batman from himself... Gaining Dick Grayson as his son allows Bruce Wayne to live again.
  • Mercury, Joey Ramone and Phil_Muzza +1 this

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,793 posts

But.. but.. but.. Dark!  Tortured!  Dark!  Realistic!  Dark!

• The Human Torch and Pong Messiah +1 this

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Batman without Robin is: "SWEAR TO ME! GRWWL!" "WHERE IS IT?! GRWWL! WHERE IS IT?!"

World's Greatest Detective. Apparently more like World's Greatest Graffiti Artist, major props to that gasoline flaming Bat-Symbol, Bruce. But maybe instead of doing an art project you could have been looking for the bomb yourself? No? Oh my bad.

Of course on the flipside you get Mitchell Shoemaker and his Batnipples.

There is a happy medium, Hollywood!
  • NumberSix and Mercury +1 this

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,793 posts

Skateman!  His superpower is rollerskating!

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,389 posts
DAZZLER.

God, I hated her.

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Administrator
  • 22,107 posts

Batman is actually pretty horrible, if you think about it. His superpowers are money and sadness.

WHAT!?

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

wearing out welcome since 2009

• Supporters
  • 8,629 posts

http://marvel.com/universe/Leather_Boy

406px-Leather_Boy_2.jpg

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,793 posts

Batman is actually pretty horrible, if you think about it. His superpowers are money and sadness.

WHAT!?

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

It's true. His superpower is that he's a spoiled rich kid who needs therapy.

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Administrator
  • 22,107 posts
OMG SHUT UPPPPPPPPUH!

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,793 posts
It's true! And to top it off, he's really just made crime worse. Before Batman, there was some street crime and the mob. The last Batman comic arc I read was No Man's Land, which features everything being so bad that they cut Gotham off from the rest of the country. Bruce is basically Logan Echolls with a mask.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,383 posts
Yeah. He's really a crybaby. And the whole idea of him having new superpowers isn't even unique. There's way more interesting characters and MANY who have a worse origin.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,629 posts

OK I have a serious one: The Hulk.

Why is this guy even considered a super hero in the first place?

Before even becoming the Hulk, Bruce Banner worked for the military, creating nuclear bombs intended to kill millions.  Banner is basically just a dick with anger management issues.

As the Hulk, how many houses, towns, and villages has he single-handedly destroyed?  There's just no way no one has died by collateral damage, but even if no one did, what about the thousands of lives ruined after becoming homeless?  I'm sure at least someone who had their house and belongings destroyed, who was already on the brink, probably committed suicide because the hulk destroyed their life. 

Of all the conflicts with the military, US or otherwise, out of all the tanks, helicopters, and jets destroyed by they Hulk, not one person died?  BS. 

The Hulk may have been part of the Avengers, SHIELD, or some other team, but he ends up fighting every member of that team at some point: how many countless Hulk VS Thor or Hulk VS Iron Man or Hulk VS Thing panels are out there?  He fights super heroes as much as he fights villains.  Also, when he is part of said teams, he always goes on about how he doesn't care, or doesn't want to be involved, or just wants to be left alone.  Hulk even acknowledges he is no hero.

Then there is the World War Hulk thing, where it basically takes multiple teams of superheroes to stop the Hulk from destroying NYC, and arguably has come the closest to doing so than any Marvel super villain ever did. 

At best, the Hulk is a human-sized Godzilla.  At worst, and probably realistically, he is a super villain.   But he is no hero. 

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
The Hulk isn't actually considered a hero by the public in the Marvel U. He's a scorned figure for the reasons you say. Sometimes he's superheroic, often depending on how intelligent he is capable of being at the time, but usually he's as you say a bipedal wrecking ball... Ultimate Hulk would "destroy" Miley, btw. lol

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,629 posts

True, THT, but then again, same thing can almost be said about Spiderman, and any mutant team.  What I meant was that Marvel and the readers consider Hulk as a super hero. 

• The Human Torch +1 this

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Ah. Yeah. The vast majority do for sure.

I've always found him frightening, tbh. Ever since I was a little kid I've oft occurring nightmares about Hulk where he is hunting me, breaking thru whatever I happen to hide in for safety; featuring Ferrigno's Hulk.

I'm sure Freud would love this, btw.

Guest_zuko skywalker_*

Guest_zuko skywalker_*
  • Guests

Ah, but he has working contingency plans against every single one of his follow Justice Leaguers should they become out of control.

You wanna talk about horrible non-superpowered characters, you gotta go with Speedy. His specialty is archery and he can't aim for crap.

Reply to this topic