Guardians of the Galaxy

Exodus

Loved it. Amazingly, I think Batista had most of the best lines/delivery. Never would've guessed I'd feel empathy for a genetically engineered raccoon, nor feel close to tears during a comic book movie (opening scene).

Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are so fast, I would catch it!

I think years from now, we're going to look back on this as one of, if not the classic film from this whole run from Marvel. I keep thinking that the kind of fun and awesome vibe from this movie has to be the closest thing to what it must have felt like to see Star Wars in '77. It's that good.

Yeah I was going to say, since 1977 people have been trying to recapture Star Wars in a bottle and failed. Even the PT missed the mark. GOG is the first movie I've seen to get it.

This feels like a movie that is from the Star Wars/Amblin era. What Super 8 did for Speilberg GOG does for Lucas. I think that's why I was resistant when it got too cgi-y.

I think the problem is that all of those films trying to catch that lightning in a bottle didn't have the balls to take as many risks as Gunn and Marvel did.

Let's face it, we were all extremely confused and skeptical when this movie was announced. But the sheer absurdity of this movie of it is a huge factor in how great it is. They took a ridiculous concept, make it even more ridiculous, and made it work. DC and WB are in their own little emo corner trying to make their characters as grim and gritty as possible, and Marvel is making colorful and funny movies with talking trees and animals with an 80's pop soundtrack. They went big and it paid off.

Spot on, D-Ray.

I've read more than a few times lately from DC fans that DC comics and movies are for adults and Marvel's are for kids. What a load of crap. Marvel knows how to deal with serious stories and still make them fun, while DC thinks everything has to be at night and everyone has to be sad and brooding. I'll take fun in my superheroes any day of the week.

100%, Jacob.

It speaks to the confidence that people have in Marvel that a property like Guardians of the Galaxy, which a very small percentage of people were even aware of before it became a film can still be the 32nd best opening ever. Might not sound all that impressive but only 3 non sequel/remake/reboots rank above it (Hunger Games, Iron Man, Spider-Man) and only Harry Potter 1, and Passion of the Christ join it in the top 50.

I've read more than a few times lately from DC fans that DC comics and movies are for adults and Marvel's are for kids. What a load of crap. Marvel knows how to deal with serious stories and still make them fun, while DC thinks everything has to be at night and everyone has to be sad and brooding. I'll take fun in my superheroes any day of the week.

Especially in the comments section of comic-book news Facebook pages. Blergh.

I think the problem is that all of those films trying to catch that lightning in a bottle didn't have the balls to take as many risks as Gunn and Marvel did.

Let's face it, we were all extremely confused and skeptical when this movie was announced. But the sheer absurdity of this movie of it is a huge factor in how great it is. They took a ridiculous concept, make it even more ridiculous, and made it work. DC and WB are in their own little emo corner trying to make their characters as grim and gritty as possible, and Marvel is making colorful and funny movies with talking trees and animals with an 80's pop soundtrack. They went big and it paid off.

Well said. All thanks to Iron Man being made on their own terms and not bombing-- and then everything else doing well, so long as they keep getting hits, Disney will let them do whatever they want, and Kevin Fiege had the sense from the start to involve the comic creators for input and not try to fit a certain mold.

Spot on, D-Ray.

Well DC is thinking Batman worked so let's apply that formula to the rest of the movies. Regardless of whether it fits the character.

Yeah, it was the success of the Dark Knight and also the failure of Green Lantern that made them think they had to do it the way they are.

Taking a moment now, distanced from the release, GL wasn't crap. It wasn't awesome, but it was good enough. It had three giant faults, IMO; cgi bacon costume, cloud villain and Hal Jordan... not bagging on Ryan. Just the character. DC had the opportunity to do something special with a decades long built in cartoon generation adoring John Stewart.

Back to GotG!

Haven't seen it yet. Bigger kids are seeing it today with the grandparents. Very happy to read/hear all the fun isn't just in the trailers. I've been championing an approach like this my whole life, so yay! Also this should be an excellent blind purchase like LEGO Movie was, so double yay!

I've read more than a few times lately from DC fans that DC comics and movies are for adults and Marvel's are for kids. What a load of crap.

Marvel movies are for people who aren't currently angsty teenagers in the 90's. DC movies are for angsty 90's teens.

I don't know, I think Guardians is proof that they know exactly what the generation born in the 80's and 90's want. If Captain America is a throwback to the aw-shucks boy scout era of the 40's, Star Lord is a throwback to those of us who grew up on 80's Saturday morning cartoons. I don't know why many of us were so skeptical, that character is almost genetically engineered to appeal to Marvel's target demographic.

I enjoyed it a lot, but it had the opposite problem of most movies--not enough exposition for me! The main characters were mostly fine, but I found myself wanting to know more about everything and everyone, which I guess is a good thing. I really liked Gamora, but didn't think there was much motivation for her to "turn" on Ronan. I wanted some more references to Groot and Rocket's background together. Nebula and Ronan were just kind of there as villains. I thought there could've been more emotional depth to the confrontation between Gamora and Nebula.

But it was a lot of fun, and I laughed.

That's what I first put in my spoiler post. I wanted more Xandar and the Novas, I wanted more Ravagers, I wanted more conflict between Nebula and Gamora, I wanted a lot more Ronan.

But even if its tale was brief, we got freakin' Celestials in a movie!

Loved it. Lots of fun. It had a perfect balance of action, humor and heart. My only issues were that it took me about 20 or 30 minutes to really get sucked into the world. ANOTHER alien-invasion-of-a-major-city ending (ugh). And baby Groot was totally unnecessary, It took away from the emotional weight of the ending. Just show Rocket holding the potted plant and leave it at the that. And yeah, I agree with Mara that Gamora didn't seem fleshed out enough as a character. There was a lot telling but not much showing in regards to her. With the other characters that worked fine because you could get the gist of what they were about fairly quickly. Not so much for her.

I saw it twice this weekend.

I've thought about this a lot- and I can honestly say that this movie is the most FUN movie I've ever watched in the theater. It's probably not the most fun movie I've ever seen, but it is really damn close.

I knew nothing about GotG at all. I know a bit more than the average lay person about the Marvel universe in general, so I was able to pick it up really quickly and understand how it would all fit into the universe that Marvel is creating but I see no reason why someone who has only seen the Marvel films wouldn't be able to put the pieces together. So much excitement in general for all the future Marvel stuff. I keep waiting for them to seriously blunder- but disregarding the Hulk films (and really, now that what's his face is The Hulk a new Hulk film now would probably be awesome) they haven't really had a misstep.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.