Tokyo

Burt

I assume it's first world and I don't need vaccinations? Any foods to avoid?

Um....?

Japan is the world's 3rd largest economy, one the world's great powers, and the 10th highest country by HDI (quality of life) in the world, higher than almost any other country outside of the US and some Nordic countries and Switzerland. It is one of the richest countries in the world and Tokyo is more advanced than any other US city.

Are you seriously asking this? You're not going to freaking Bangladesh.

They totally have weird obsessions though in Japan.

some technology that will mess with your picture of the world is their toilets! And their transpotation system.

It factors into my purchasing my car, because a country that can make toilets as awesome as they do and trains that arrive on time can build reliable cars.

Oh also- what do you mean by "Times Square?"

Do you mean Shibuya crossing? Or the central crossing in Ginza?

Tokyo has probably around 5 or 6 major intersections that could classify as a Times Square. But either way- all are very easily accessible by public transport. One thing you'll find about Tokyo (if you get some time to explore) is that the subway goes everywhere and is very comprehensive- very different from a US city, except for NY.

I'm not asking these questions to be annoying. I've been to Tokyo so many times, I could be a personal tour guide. Ask what you want and I'd be happy to explain the best ways to get somewhere.

Where will you be? Shinjuku? Minato or Roppongi?

Shinjuku hopefully, because there's a huge train station there and you get pretty much anywhere in Tokyo within 20 min.

It's really one of the world's great cities. One of the few places I can keep going back to and it never gets old.

Where'd you stay pavonis? I assume Shinjuku?

Didn't stay in Shinjuku, just passed through regularly. It was a college trip with friends, so stayed with friends' parents. Memories are rather hazy on the exact location now. It's been 15 years and there's a general intoxication fog over the bulk of the trip. I've some friends there that I owe a visit, so should return again. Can call it a research/consulting trip, too, if I swing by their labs.

I was a miltary brat so I was in the tow of my parents. I haven't been yet on my own. I just remember the stupid things a kid remembers. I love how clean it is. In the summer it doesn't smell like urine!

Heh. Can't say the same about NYC, that's for sure.

You oughta go back some time. Great city.

It's really one of the world's great cities. One of the few places I can keep going back to and it never gets old.

Where'd you stay pavonis? I assume Shinjuku?

Didn't stay in Shinjuku, just passed through regularly. It was a college trip with friends, so stayed with friends' parents. Memories are rather hazy on the exact location now. It's been 15 years and there's a general intoxication fog over the bulk of the trip. I've some friends there that I owe a visit, so should return again. Can call it a research/consulting trip, too, if I swing by their labs.

Do it.

Also tell me when you do it, and we'll grab a drink. I haven't been back in over a year and I'm looking for an excuse.

Are you seriously asking this? You're not going to freaking Bangladesh.

I was saying that a little tongue in cheek. ;)

The "Times Square-y" part of Tokyo to me is what is shown in Lost in Translation. I really know next to nothing about Tokyo. I don't travel to see big cities typically, I'm more interested in the natural places in the area. I spent most of my trip in Las Vegas bird-watching and hiking in the surrounding desert and mountains.

At some point, I will go to Oko Nikko and Watarase-yusuichi. Both are Ramsar wetland sites, so we will poke around and see what we can see there. I think they're a little north of Tokyo.

they are very clean people so toilets are like throwns that can do so many things.

My Dad still tells people the story about how my brother and I kept messing with the toilets in the hotel we stayed in.

Public toilets are a little different than the ones in home. Public ones are actually better than the ones you use regularly back at home. They're squat types, which is actually good for pooping because it won't cause hernias. It's the reason people in third world countries don't have bowel colon issues. The in home one is a combination of bidet and toilet with very nice extras. Very efficient.

• 6 months later...

So, Tokyo. Wow. Really great place. I was impressed at how they always took that one extra step for so many things. Examples 1) Humidity settings on thermostat for better skin 2) Cubby under the table for purses, backpacks, etc. at restaraunt 3) Heated mirror in bathroom so it doesn't fog 4) Amazingly intricate and customizable shower settings 5) and so on...

However, HUGE bathtubs and TINY toilet seats. What gives? Why is this backwards in America?

Stayed in Ikebukuro. Visited Meiji Shrine, Oisi beach, Nikko, National Museum, and a few other stops. Met a lot of really great people, I wish I had taken the time to learn more Japanese prior to going there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.