16 members have voted

1. 1. Does alien life exist?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. If you said yes, do you think said aliens are secretly visiting Earth

• I said I didn't believe
    • yes
    • no
  3. 3. If yes again, do you think they are abducting humans and cows for experimentation?

• dude, there's no aliens
    • yes
    • no
  4. 4. Yes again, does the government know about it?

• WTF I SAID NO ALIENS
    • Yes, and they have no power
    • yes, and they are complicit with it
    • no
  5. 5. crazy lights in the sky

• seen them, with holding judgment on what it was
    • seen them, totally aliens
    • seen them, it's the government
    • never seen them
  6. 6. If aliens are real, what do you think the end game is?

• Eventually, it will be public knowledge, and they'll be friendly
    • Eventually, it will be public knowledge, and we're screwed
    • They just need help with our genes to rebuild their population
    • God = aliens, we're an ant farm
  7. 7. If aliens are not real, how do you explain lights in the sky?

• IT'S THE GOVERNMENT
    • natural phenomena that we simply don't understand yet
    • magical faeries, not aliens
  8. 8. If aliens are not real, how do you abductee evidence?

• sleep paralysis fueled by a cultural knowing of what an alien abduction entails
    • THE GOIVERNMENT
    • some sort of existential/transcendent experience that human science cannot yet define
  9. 9. Fire In The Sky

• scariest movie ever
    • I can't watch it it gives me nightmares
    • LALALLALALALLA THERE'S NO SUCH MOVIE

Had a dream last night I saw fast lights in the sky, couldn't go back to sleep for an hour. I am a huge horror fan, but nothing really scares me with horror because I know it isn't real... except aliens.

I'm not convinced they are not real and I'm realizing weird alien stuff scares me. Well, during the day it doesn't, but when it's dark... oh man.

That said, I have issues with buying various aspects of alien phenomena. On the one hand, if you really grasp the size and scope of the known universe, to think we are the only planet with life on it is incredibly unlikely. At the same time, we are now a culture where everyone has a phone in their pocket and we are a mass media, conspiracy obsessed, government hating group of people so I find it hard to buy that no one is getting good pictures of aliens or spaceships, and that the government is capable of covering anything of that scale up.

I think alien life does exist, but I'm not likely to point at every light in the say or case of sleep paralysis and scream ALIENS DID IT?

What about you?

I'm of the mindset that yeah they probably do exist somewhere, given the scale of the universe. I don't think we've had any contact with them.

I voted that I hadn't seen lights in the sky, but also voted that they were THE GOVERNMENT. I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple. The most likely explanation for stuff like that is government testing, aircraft of some kind, or natural phenomenon. Even believing that there is probably ET life out there somewhere, those are all more likely answers.

What scares me more than alien stuff is the demonic possession stuff in media. I believe in that stuff. I don't believe in ghosts in the traditional sense, per se, but I absolutely believe in evil spirits.

Really? That to me is total bunk. That feels like mythology to me.

I think ghosts are actually one of the things I listed above for aliens-- I think they are something we just don't understand yet. I don't think there's free-thinking, conscious spirits out there, but I do think there can be "echos" for lack of a better terms of the essence of people or actions. Like a place where somebody was killed could have bad energy-- but I don't think there's a ghost of a literal person there trying to scare you.

For a long time I couldn't handle the thought of ghosts and aliens both existing because they are totally different mythologies. It took a lot of Final Fantasy as a kid to see scifi and supernatural could go together.

My answers:

Does alien life exist?

Chose no, since I don't think we have come into contact with it, but really, I would just choose "I don't know." This is like asking if God exists. There are equally plausible theories that life is exceedingly improbable (or advanced life, or advanced life that makes it to space travel without killing itself/home planet, or what have you), and that life is very probable. Unless someone discovers a way of mathematically determining the probability of life in any given solar system, this question is un-answerable.

If you said yes, do you think said aliens are secretly visiting Earth?

No. Let's say we assumed aliens exist somewhere and they have the technology to visit Earth. There's really no credible explanation for why such an advanced species would wish to secretly visit us.

If yes again, do you think they are abducting humans and cows for experimentation?

No

Yes again, does the government know about it?

No

crazy lights in the sky

never seen them

If aliens are real, what do you think the end game is?

Well there was no choice for "aliens aren't real." So I chose "Eventually, it will be public knowledge, and we're screwed," because logically if aliens did exist, given how species develop and evolve over time to compete with other species for genetic survival, there is no reason why you would think they'd be peaceful. More likely they would just take planetary resources and enslave us (that is, if any of our biological material is actually useful for them). Sorta like how we treat animals much lesser in intelligence to us, like cattle and chickens.

If aliens are not real, how do you explain lights in the sky?

"natural phenomena that we simply don't understand yet," but would also add man-made objects (satellites, military technology, aircraft, etc).

If aliens are not real, how do you abductee evidence?

Well, my ideal choice would be that people are just bullsh-tting, but since that wasn't there, I put "sleep paralysis fueled by a cultural knowing of what an alien abduction entails"

Fire In The Sky

?

I more or less agree with Carrie, although I put yes because I think it's likely that alien life exists somewhere. It may be incredibly basic, but the universe is really big.

And I really think that, when we discover life exists, it won't be either of the options. It'll be a big deal, but we'll discover it centuries before we have any actual contact with any kind of alien life, and we may never experience intelligent alien life.

I'm of the mindset that yeah they probably do exist somewhere, given the scale of the universe. I don't think we've had any contact with them.

Intelligent life or just life at all (i.e. microbes, etc.)?

If intelligent life, how do you know that? The universe is estimated to contain around 3×10^23 stars. What if the probability of advanced life emerging in any given star is less than 1 / 3x10^23?

Do you know what the probability is of life existing on any given star? Apparently you do, since in your words, aliens "probably" exist, which means you think the probability is greater than 50%. I'm curious how you established that- actually, why don't you just forward your study to SETI.. they're gonna be thrilled.

I more or less agree with Carrie, although I put yes because I think it's likely that alien life exists somewhere. It may be incredibly basic, but the universe is really big.

See above.

I wouldn't say it's likely or probable that intelligent life exists, but I think that it's likely that life exists; that somewhere in the universe there's a single cell organism. I don't have any science to back it up, and I honestly don't care. I don't care enough to read the science, or the conspiracy theories, or even listen to the ramblings of acquaintances.

OK sure, and Brando, let me be clear that I'm not putting you in the "crazy" boat.

But I still wanna know why you think life, even basic life, is "likely."

To my knowledge, no scientist has determined the probability of life existing on any given planet, even just microbes, which is not very surprising, given that we don't even fully understand how life appeared on this planet.

But apparently you've discovered the secret, because you think it's "likely."

nd I really think that, when we discover life exists, it won't be either of the options. It'll be a big deal, but we'll discover it centuries before we have any actual contact with any kind of alien life, and we may never experience intelligent alien life.

I think this is also the most likely case. It's far more likely we'll find radio transmissions of some sort from a world billions of years dead than actual intelligent life.

I think it's likely that aliens exist, but if they do they have no way of getting here so it's a moot point. Even if they could travel at light speed, which is impossible, it would still not be fast enough to get here.

There's science fiction and there's just science.

To be honest, it's because I care so little about the topic that I just made a decision that, "sure, it seems as likely as not." That way I don't have to waste brain power even considering arguments one way or the other and can focus on things that actually have any meaning.

I easily could have gone the other route, and decided absolutely not, or taken the middle route of not taking any position, but then you have to deal with psychos trying to convince you. So I take a more utilitarian approach: I'll believe it, but only to the extent that you understand that I'm really not going to waste any time or effort. Take it the same way an agnostic who is bordering on atheism might answer their Southern Baptist grandma.

I think that;

God and Science do not need to be mutually exclusive

any of the below does not invalidate the possibility of God

unidentified phenomena exists

some reported unidentified phenomena is a hoax

alien life can exist

intelligent alien life can exist

advanced, intelligent life can exist

secret societies can exist, whether or not alien /or mystical involvement is the basis

I am skeptical of anyone that says they have certainty in either direction, but not necessarily dismissive.

I have witnessed or experienced unidentified phenomena;

lights

sounds

shapes

odd behavior

unaccounted for loss of time/memory

Doesn't mean I believe ^those things must be aliens or something of a mystical nature.

Do I wonder about possibilities? Yes.

Am I smart enough to be tested for medical issues that could cause such things? Yes.

Do I have a condition? Other than an over active imagination, nothing diagnosed.

Essentially all that means: I don't know, but sure why not?

Supplemental:

Why could life exist elsewhere? Because it exists here.

Could alien life be visiting Earth /or have visited Earth in the past? We explore, why couldn't or wouldn't they?

Do I believe alien life is visiting or has visited Earth in the past? **** if I know, but the stories sure are entertaining.

Afterthought: Seriously you guys the stories that are out there from all different cultures around the Earth are fantastic entertainment. Just full of so much stuff. What that stuff could be who knows, but it is freaking cool to learn about. From religious texts depicting events (usually the case) or events that cultures swear are straight historical accounts (but when you get right into it those are also usually religious based) the stuff that is out there is fascinating. Even if you disregard the stories, the ruins we have discovered and continue to discover are breath taking in their complexity. Aliens, Humans, whatever. All I do know is that ****ing awesome **** has happened on this planet and we don't know barely any of it.

Unless someone discovers a way of mathematically determining the probability of life in any given solar system, this question is un-answerable.

Someone has. Its called The Drake Equation.

I mean, it's flawed but it's a start.

Um... you must not know much about the Drake Equation.

The existence of the Drake Equation does not answer the probability question because most of the variables in the Drake Equation are UNKNOWN. You know, like the variable that stands for the percentage of planets that develop intelligent life.

In fact, I think most, if not all the variables in the Drake Equation are unknown. The fact that you brought up the Drake Equation actually proves my point- that we have NO clue what the probability of intelligent life emerging is, absolutely none.

Unless someone discovers a way of mathematically determining the probability of life in any given solar system, this question is un-answerable.

The existence of the Drake Equation does not answer the probability question because most of the variables in the Drake Equation are UNKNOWN. You know, like the variable that stands for the percentage of planets that develop intelligent life.

In fact, I think most, if not all the variables in the Drake Equation are unknown. The fact that you brought up the Drake Equation actually proves my point- that we have NO clue what the probability of intelligent life emerging is, absolutely none.

Fair enough, I'm no scientist.

Supplemental:

That has got to be some of the worst logic I've ever heard.

So because something happens once, it has to happen twice?

How do you know that the probability of life emerging is not so infinitesimally small, so as to be almost 0, so it only happens once? How do you know?

Oh but wait, you have the answers- like some others who think life is "likely" in the universe, you have calculated the probability! Well, I'm glad we have a resident Einstein among us at Nightly. Please, do share how you calculated this. I would be fascinated to see your research.

Fair enough, I'm no scientist.

And neither am I.

Which is why I don't say life is "likely" in the universe, or "probable," or that "it happened once so it can happen twice," or that "single cell organisms have to be out there" or any other nonsense that is completely made up.

Who knows. It may be likely, it may be incredibly unlikely. Until scientific evidence is produced that can establish the probability of life emerging on any given planet, any claim that life is "likely" has about as much credibility as a faith-based argument that God exists.

Supplemental:

That has got to be some of the worst logic I've ever heard.

So because something happens once, it has to happen twice?

How do you know that the probability of life emerging is not so infinitesimally small, so as to be almost 0, so it only happens once? How do you know?

Oh but wait, you have the answers- like some others who think life is "likely" in the universe, you have calculated the probability! Well, I'm glad we have a resident Einstein among us at Nightly. Please, do share how you calculated this. I would be fascinated to see your research.

Your own agenda is shading the answers of, well, at least me.

I never once said alien life does exist. Never once said I know anything about alien life.

Quite expressively the opposite in fact.

I did readily say I agree with the possibility of it existing. And yes because something does exist here that does mean there is a possibility it exists elsewhere. There is no fault in that logic. If you feel so positive that there is a fault in that logic [then you should] hold up a mirror because you are the resident Einstein of Nightly that you so despise.

Intelligent life or just life at all (i.e. microbes, etc.)?

If intelligent life, how do you know that? The universe is estimated to contain around 3×10^23 stars. What if the probability of advanced life emerging in any given star is less than 1 / 3x10^23?

Do you know what the probability is of life existing on any given star? Apparently you do, since in your words, aliens "probably" exist, which means you think the probability is greater than 50%. I'm curious how you established that- actually, why don't you just forward your study to SETI.. they're gonna be thrilled.

Is it fun picking nits like that? Or is it just force of habit at this point?

I have seen ball lightening. And it was COOL.

I believe that there is alien life forms. Have they been to earth, well maybe but maybe no. Our solar system is remarkable but in the crux of it is it really fascinating enough for an alien to travel light years to view on a long "drive"? Maybe if they wanted the gases in our gas giants...

An another point would be would they collect specimens. Hell yes. We do, dead and alive and put them in zoos or labs or under slides or store them in universities. So I really reject the idea that the aliens would return us back after probing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.