16 members have voted

1. 1. Does alien life exist?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. If you said yes, do you think said aliens are secretly visiting Earth

• I said I didn't believe
    • yes
    • no
  3. 3. If yes again, do you think they are abducting humans and cows for experimentation?

• dude, there's no aliens
    • yes
    • no
  4. 4. Yes again, does the government know about it?

• WTF I SAID NO ALIENS
    • Yes, and they have no power
    • yes, and they are complicit with it
    • no
  5. 5. crazy lights in the sky

• seen them, with holding judgment on what it was
    • seen them, totally aliens
    • seen them, it's the government
    • never seen them
  6. 6. If aliens are real, what do you think the end game is?

• Eventually, it will be public knowledge, and they'll be friendly
    • Eventually, it will be public knowledge, and we're screwed
    • They just need help with our genes to rebuild their population
    • God = aliens, we're an ant farm
  7. 7. If aliens are not real, how do you explain lights in the sky?

• IT'S THE GOVERNMENT
    • natural phenomena that we simply don't understand yet
    • magical faeries, not aliens
  8. 8. If aliens are not real, how do you abductee evidence?

• sleep paralysis fueled by a cultural knowing of what an alien abduction entails
    • THE GOIVERNMENT
    • some sort of existential/transcendent experience that human science cannot yet define
  9. 9. Fire In The Sky

• scariest movie ever
    • I can't watch it it gives me nightmares
    • LALALLALALALLA THERE'S NO SUCH MOVIE

Where did I say rape jokes are funny?

I am sorry you feel that way, but I think you must have missed a lot of past threads if you think this is anything new or too out of the ordinary. Were you not here for half of REVROSWELL's posts and all of RavEMasteR's?

:confused:

So what if they're not new, or been common in the past? We should maintain low standards because they were low in the past? Let's raise the bar. I'm not easily offended, but I'm not going to keep quiet when I am. I never participated in Lando, and have no interest in doing so here if the Lyceum is the new Lando.

Rape is only funny when it's about aliens or Krawlie.

No, not even then.

NO. THIS IS A SERIOUS PLACE. FOR SERIOUS SUBJECT MATTER.

Cause serious subject matter can never be made light of.

Like all those threads on Race, Homophobia, Butter/Animal products, the Scientific Dark Age, Hero Cops and Hero Clerks and Hero Dads, and crazy Homeless Mountain Men fishing without licenses.

No one ever has put crass jokes in those threads, or made light of any of those serious conversations.

Pretty sure what was said doesn't classify as a joke about rape specifically. More about a joke to another nightly member who was not offended.

EDIT: OH I see where it started. Krawlie said he sleep rapes...

Yeah... I can see why you might not find that funny....but its Krawlie.... hes funny!! Half the time what he writes is all jest. Probably more..

I don't really agree with pavonis (I find rape jokes funny, I find jokes about violence super funny) but, yes, I am with pavonis (I BRAVELY STAND WITH HIM!) in wanting rape jokes to be unacceptable in this forum.

Does the Lyceum HAVE to be devoid of all humor?

The Lyceum is now, and has ever been, an immense source of humour.

Yes, I need the "rape joke" explained to me. It's not funny. Most of this place isn't funny, actually. I've been posting here for 14 years, and yet I feel like an outsider because I don't keep up with your little in-jokes and asides that you've built up around each other so thickly that no one else wants to post here. Yes, I'm just stupid that way.

I know there are some topics that people completely lose their shit over whenever they are broached unaccompanied by harsh rebuke for the villains (real or imagined) they summon within people's minds.

Some people can't help but bring up that Captain Kirk once punched a woman in the face; Devo was labeled a "fascist" band because they sang about totalitarianism in a detached and ironic manner, rather than wailing against it as they should; George Carlin is still judged harshly by some critics for the words he used when talking about things like racism. Some people, they just can't get over that kinda thing, and they let it define a person, even if it entirely misses the point.

Fine. I think it's dumb, but I get it. We all got our hot buttons. For what it's worth, I have a hard time not defining guys Morrissey, Moby, Thom Yorke, etc. more by their personal twatism than their music. I get it.

But I'm still just utterly flabbergasted that anybody would express shock and horror at anything coming out of Krawlie. Burritos, beer, AIDS, wrestling, sleep rape, and Khan. Just roll a d6 and see what you get! No surprises: he's been doing this for almost 15 years, hasn't he?

I suppose we could solve this by putting "Trigger Warning" above all of his posts, but to me that just feels so condescending and infantalizing.

:no:

Well I mean, everyone has shit that rubs them the wrong way. I don't get offended easily at all, but even I have things that make me uncomfortable. And for something like rape, I totally understand that most people can't find anything funny about it. I think anything can be made into a joke, as long as the joke is actually funny and you tell it to the right audience. But as much as I like offensive humor, I don't like to actually offend--so, pavonis, I'm sorry for offending you and causing this whole thing. I won't make jokes like that in the Lyceum anymore. It's not like I post in here very often anyway, and when I do it's usually jokes. So I'll just take those out.

I fully understand where Pavonis is coming from-- the problem isn't the incident, it's the collect consciousness. The idea that we tolerate any joke at all means we are perpetuating a mind-set that isn't taking rape seriously.

I find stand-up comedians who make rape jokes irresponsible. For me there is a line-- I wouldn't make a rape joke at the expense of any person who had been raped, I wouldn't ever make a joke that went for an easy life even if I knew it was wrong. In fact, I frequently make jokes with the punchline "shpuld've have _____ed like they wanted it" because that is the most horrific defense that has worked in a rapists defense, more than one occasion. My making that joke is pointing out the absurdity of it. I don't think of it as a rape joke as much as an anti-rae joke.

That said, this is all in the public circle. I'm sorry pavonis feels like an outside despite posting her for an eternity, but I take for grated nightly is public. At this point, it really is 15 people I've known for over a decade. In closed company like that, joking about alien anal probing or the fact that Krawlie bones his wife in his drunk sleep-- those seem like pretty safe topics amongst friends. No one here is passe about rape.

Except for maybe Ravemaster, but we got rid of him.

What Driver said. More or less.

I think we all know that rape is wrong. Or at least I sure f**ing well hope we do. Joking about it - well, even Mr. Anti P.C that I am, I'd suggest caution. I wouldn't do it myself. Make damn good and sure you know your audience, I guess. I don't think Krawlie did anything out of hand here - not like making light of anyone's real suffering. But his posts just might warrant "trigger warnings" though ...

<grin>

Whoa, Pong. Even Moby? I can understand Morrisey. Even I get tired of "Girlfriend in a Coma" but I like Moby for the most part. Thom Yorke maybe not so much.

Oh, the music is all fine. I'm talking about them as how they portray themselves as humans. I find Moby to be the most annoying, but also the most interesting of the three.

Personally, nothing is sacred to me. And my dark sense of humor often feels the best joke is one that people aren't sure if I'm being serious or funny. Maybe that makes me sort of sadistic. Oh well.

But yeah, rape is not cool. I don't condone it. Know a few people who have been raped. But that doesn't shy me away from cracking an offensive line or two about it...Especially among a close knit bunch such as this. Would I do it when delivering oratory at the VA's Saturday Brunch get together? No, probably not. But Nightly, yeah.

But I'm still just utterly flabbergasted that anybody would express shock and horror at anything coming out of Krawlie. Burritos, beer, AIDS, wrestling, sleep rape, and Khan. Just roll a d6 and see what you get! No surprises: he's been doing this for almost 15 years, hasn't he?

I suppose we could solve this by putting "Trigger Warning" above all of his posts, but to me that just feels so condescending and infantalizing.

:no:

I see. You're assuming I know "Krawlie" from Adam. I know ****-all about Krawlie and his/her/its posting style, and have no reason to be inured to it.

Well I mean, everyone has **** that rubs them the wrong way. I don't get offended easily at all, but even I have things that make me uncomfortable. And for something like rape, I totally understand that most people can't find anything funny about it. I think anything can be made into a joke, as long as the joke is actually funny and you tell it to the right audience. But as much as I like offensive humor, I don't like to actually offend--so, pavonis, I'm sorry for offending you and causing this whole thing. I won't make jokes like that in the Lyceum anymore. It's not like I post in here very often anyway, and when I do it's usually jokes. So I'll just take those out.

Do what you like. You want to be offensive, fine, just don't be surprised when people are offended.

I see. You're assuming I know "Krawlie" from Adam. I know ****-all about Krawlie and his/her/its posting style, and have no reason to be inured to it.

Yup. I only "know" a few people from this site, but I know pretty much everybody who posts here more than twice a week -- their posting idiosyncrasies, what is liable to piss them off, what is likely to draw them to a thread, etc...

I wrongly assumed you were similarly familiar with other members of this board.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.