16 members have voted

1. 1. Does alien life exist?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. If you said yes, do you think said aliens are secretly visiting Earth

• I said I didn't believe
    • yes
    • no
  3. 3. If yes again, do you think they are abducting humans and cows for experimentation?

• dude, there's no aliens
    • yes
    • no
  4. 4. Yes again, does the government know about it?

• WTF I SAID NO ALIENS
    • Yes, and they have no power
    • yes, and they are complicit with it
    • no
  5. 5. crazy lights in the sky

• seen them, with holding judgment on what it was
    • seen them, totally aliens
    • seen them, it's the government
    • never seen them
  6. 6. If aliens are real, what do you think the end game is?

• Eventually, it will be public knowledge, and they'll be friendly
    • Eventually, it will be public knowledge, and we're screwed
    • They just need help with our genes to rebuild their population
    • God = aliens, we're an ant farm
  7. 7. If aliens are not real, how do you explain lights in the sky?

• IT'S THE GOVERNMENT
    • natural phenomena that we simply don't understand yet
    • magical faeries, not aliens
  8. 8. If aliens are not real, how do you abductee evidence?

• sleep paralysis fueled by a cultural knowing of what an alien abduction entails
    • THE GOIVERNMENT
    • some sort of existential/transcendent experience that human science cannot yet define
  9. 9. Fire In The Sky

• scariest movie ever
    • I can't watch it it gives me nightmares
    • LALALLALALALLA THERE'S NO SUCH MOVIE

I didn't know that the grey archetype was appearing as early as the 19th century, Pong. Interesting. Or is it just that they've been visiting that long? There's definitely something creepy about the grey alien form. I wonder if anyone has done studies of primate reactions to a grey alien form.

It was H. G. Wells speculating on what men would be like in the year 1,000,000. Physically very similar to Greys, though they walked on hands and feet, since their stunted, machine-cared-for bodies could no longer handle the stress of walking erect. There are several earlier examples of gnomes and other goblins that to many seem more like Greys than your garden variety folklore, but that's pretty subjective, and often interpreted through the eyes of people who want to see it that way, so take it with a few grains of elerium.

iirc, there is a psychologist who thinks we have strong reactions to the Grey form because it reminds us of our earliest memories of our moms (i.e. approximately what mom looks like through a baby's senses), and it unlocks supa deep memories.

I've read a study about why they always seem to be the same form and color and it had to do with psyche imprinting from a young age for kids with brain waves that show patterns of remembering a certain way. Like they are wired to have this type of weird dream this is so visceral it is believable as an alien.

Since the definition of "alien" is that it is contrary to what we think is normal, if they exist they could be doing things very logically, we just don't get it. Or maybe they are like galactic Jehova Witnesses and crop circles are their version of the Watchtower.

Sure, they may be driven by religious fervor to place crop circles on Earth, but why not on Mars, too? No crops? Plenty of fine red dust, though.

I've heard an argument that religion could be a driving force for intelligent agents to move out into the galaxy. What if one of the Ten Commandments had been "Colonize the Universe"? Given the long-term stability of religious social structures versus the comparatively short lifespans of nation-states and political directives, if any intelligent agents ever did travel the cosmos, I'd bet on them being religious nuts.

I've read a study about why they always seem to be the same form and color and it had to do with psyche imprinting from a young age for kids with brain waves that show patterns of remembering a certain way. Like they are wired to have this type of weird dream this is so visceral it is believable as an alien.

Interesting. Accounts going all the way back to medieval times describe "fairy abductions" in much the same way. Something psychological is definitely going on here. I think UFO abduction theories are absurd - think of the logistics involved in the Great Kazoo boarding his saucer and schlepping all those light years across the cosmos, just to abduct some guy in his sleep and give him an anal probe. I sure hope he has to go back to Proxima Centari, or wherever he's from, and end up having to justify THAT to the taxpayers! I doubt all those greys back home work any less harder for their money, I can't help but think they deserve better!

Sleep paralysis isn't dreams about being paralyzed. Your brain produces a signal that basically locks down your body so when you run in your dream, you aren't running in real life. As your brain shifts from REM sleep, to light sleep to being awake, the signal is cut and your body responds. Sleep Paralysis occurs when your brain wakes up before the signal is cut, and you can't move.

Being awake but paralyzed is a major part of the abduction/shadow people phenomena.

I have never experienced sleep paralysis, to my knowledge. However at least a couple times a year I will sleep walk, talk and all that stuff. One time I guess I was super cuddly and my wife woke and she was like yes please and so we did but I was alseep. Seriously. She didn't realize until a bit into it and so she flicked my nose to wake me up. I responded with a terrified scream and a sitcom like fall off the bed. Another time I was fighting someone in my sleep, but comically so, like Bart and Lisa Simpson doing the "I'm not kicking you, but I'm just going to do this and walk forward" skit, I woke up to my wife giggling after I walked into the door frame.

Afterthought: I am thankful I live in the now, because I'd bet a kazillion dollars I'd be branded as possessed or something in the past.

Afterthought, part again: I am conscious in at least one dream cycle every night. I can recall everything vividly afterwards. Sometimes I am in control of the dream, other times I am aware I am dreaming but along for the ride. Sometimes I'm not even in the dream, just the "camera" if that makes sense... like a tv show or something. So if Sleep paralysis happens when the brain wakes up prior to releasing the shackles on the body then it would seem like I should be a good candidate for it to happen to. Maybe my tendency to sleep walk overrides the other thing.

I want to someday create the urban art version of crop circles.

Graffiti?

It would BE graffiti, but it would be limited to one image or a series of similar images, sort of like the "Kilroy Was Here" things of past. Just something to make people wonder who is doing it, why it's being done and what it means.

Really, Pong? You think rape jokes are funny? If the Lyceum is going to become Lando, fine, apparently there's a need for forum where vulgarity and offensive jokes are acceptable. I just don't want to be a part of it. I don't think jokes about violence are funny.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.