16 members have voted

1. 1. Does alien life exist?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. If you said yes, do you think said aliens are secretly visiting Earth

• I said I didn't believe
    • yes
    • no
  3. 3. If yes again, do you think they are abducting humans and cows for experimentation?

• dude, there's no aliens
    • yes
    • no
  4. 4. Yes again, does the government know about it?

• WTF I SAID NO ALIENS
    • Yes, and they have no power
    • yes, and they are complicit with it
    • no
  5. 5. crazy lights in the sky

• seen them, with holding judgment on what it was
    • seen them, totally aliens
    • seen them, it's the government
    • never seen them
  6. 6. If aliens are real, what do you think the end game is?

• Eventually, it will be public knowledge, and they'll be friendly
    • Eventually, it will be public knowledge, and we're screwed
    • They just need help with our genes to rebuild their population
    • God = aliens, we're an ant farm
  7. 7. If aliens are not real, how do you explain lights in the sky?

• IT'S THE GOVERNMENT
    • natural phenomena that we simply don't understand yet
    • magical faeries, not aliens
  8. 8. If aliens are not real, how do you abductee evidence?

• sleep paralysis fueled by a cultural knowing of what an alien abduction entails
    • THE GOIVERNMENT
    • some sort of existential/transcendent experience that human science cannot yet define
  9. 9. Fire In The Sky

• scariest movie ever
    • I can't watch it it gives me nightmares
    • LALALLALALALLA THERE'S NO SUCH MOVIE

even then, your position doesn't really make a lot of sense. In the thread I was quoting from, you spent damn near 3 pages going on and on about how religious people have no evidence at all in what they believe, and it's basically just rooted in emotion or delusions or whatever. And sure, you might have been right, but it's pretty much the height of assholery to then turn around, and say that you think something is more likely than not, based on personal feelings. If that's how you feel, then OK, but then I don't think you have the right to criticize the religious anymore.

Ashholery? Really? I can understand you thinking me inconsistent, dumb, contrary or flippant, but can't figure out how this makes me an ***hole. And I really don't feel like outlining the differences between a person who believes there may be life in the universe somewhere other than Earth and a person who insists I believe in and submit to his supernatural being or I'll be burning in hell, beyond this, so, label me if you have to, no big.

I still get to though. Because I don't believe in God, and I don't believe in aliens either. I believe in things I have physical evidence of, period.

mkay.

Damn right I do. If I'm being hypocritical about something, I fully expect to be called out on it. I'm not exactly sure who "did this to me." And besides, why are you talking about me like I have an affliction?

I'm not talking about you, I'm directly asking you a couple questions. And don't get so defensive, I'm merely curious, as stated. It's something etched pretty darn deeply on your psyche and I was just curious as to from where it came.

even then, your position doesn't really make a lot of sense. In the thread I was quoting from, you spent damn near 3 pages going on and on about how religious people have no evidence at all in what they believe, and it's basically just rooted in emotion or delusions or whatever. And sure, you might have been right, but it's pretty much the height of assholery to then turn around, and say that you think something is more likely than not, based on personal feelings. If that's how you feel, then OK, but then I don't think you have the right to criticize the religious anymore.

Ashholery? Really? I can understand you thinking me inconsistent, dumb, contrary or flippant, but can't figure out how this makes me an ***hole. And I really don't feel like outlining the differences between a person who believes there may be life in the universe somewhere other than Earth and a person who insists I believe in and submit to his supernatural being or I'll be burning in hell, beyond this, so, label me if you have to, no big.

I'll explain. You spent almost 3 pages in that other thread criticizing the religious, and it wasn't just that you said "I don't believe in God," and went along your merry way, but you created the thread so you could go on lengthy, smug rants that badgered the religious, screaming in ALL CAPS about how none of them have any evidence, and how only idiots could believe in something without evidence, and so on and so forth, and even for an atheist like me, it was just freaking tiresome to read. And then after all that, you now turn around and say that you believe something may exist, even with NO physical evidence, in fact, you admit it's entirely based on personal feelings.. well, that makes you an a$shole, there's no other word for it. It'd be one thing, like I said, if you just meekly said you don't believe in God and went on with your life.. then later, you said you believed in aliens. That would make you a hypocrite and probably stupid, but it wouldn't make you an a$shole. The difference here is you went on the freaking warpath against the religious, a thread you created for what appears to be the sole purpose of belittling them and badgering them to present evidence like you were some sort of inquisitor or something. You can't do that and then say you believe in something based wholly on personal feelings with no evidence. Sorry. That makes you an a$shole.

well, okay, then I'm an ***hole.

So, is it the 3 page rant that makes me an ***hole in your estimation, the ALL CAPS, or my personal feeling that it's more likely than not that there probably is life in the universe outside of Earth? I'm still unclear on precisely which of these is the ***hole determiner.

Also, I CAN do that. You may not like it, it may lead to you calling me names but you can't stop me from doing it or tell me I can't because I clearly can.

So, is it the 3 page rant that makes me an ***hole in your estimation, the ALL CAPS, or my personal feeling that it's more likely than not that there probably is life in the universe outside of Earth? I'm still unclear on precisely which of these is the ***hole determiner.

How was I not clear? It has nothing to do with you having a personal feeling. It's the fact that you were so recalcitrant in how you talked towards the religious, and then you go on to do the same thing they were doing. It's not simply that you're being hypocritical, but that you were so obstinate towards people that had an irrational faith-based belief, and then do the exact same thing by having an irrational belief with no evidence. What this tells me is that you think it's ok to have beliefs rooted solely in personal feelings, but only if they are things you like, and not if they are things you don't like. I've seen you exhibit this same type of behavior in other threads, like take that thread where you thought it was OK to shame people, but only if it was for things you agreed with, and not for things you didn't.

The reason why that makes you an as$shole, is because in my experience, people that say things like this (i.e it's OK for me to do something, but not you) tend to have a "my way or the highway" attitude with others and can be really difficult to interact with.

Also, I CAN do that. You may not like it, it may lead to you calling me names but you can't stop me from doing it or tell me I can't because I clearly can.

LOL.

Do you have any idea how ridiculously childish this makes you sound?

Guest El Chalupacabra

The question I have is if Monkeygirl is an as$hole, considering your crazy 3 pages of tl:dr insult-fest posts in this thread, exactly what does that make you, CM?

Pot meet kettle?

Not sure why you're throwing your hat in the ring chalup. I didn't direct anything towards you in this thread, in fact, I think you've had some of the better posts in this thread, along with pavonis. In fact, I particularly enjoyed your post #39. So what's up man?

But in response, I don't think any of my posts in this thread have either been too long (the longest in this thread was actually pavonis) or insulting. The only name I called anyone is MG, and that's because I think she deserves it. I didn't insult THT, I didn't insult RC, I didn't insult you, I didn't insult Lucas. Sure, I think THT and Lucas are being a little silly, but that's just because I think "belief" in aliens is one of those irrational things like the horoscope, that a lot of people strangely believe in, although they have no physical evidence nor any logical or rational way to describe how they calculated the probability of alien life on any planet. Pavonis was completely right that at this point at our understanding in the universe, we have basically have no numbers to crunch, so the question is almost unanswerable. I think this is a fair point to bring up, but I certainly didn't personally attack THT, Lucas, and so on.

As far as your pot meets kettle comment, I don't think anything I have said in this thread has been particularly childish. Socratic maybe, and by virtue of that, possibly annoying, but that's different than being childish. I mean, reading over MG's last comment, you can almost see her stomping her feet. What's next, is she gonna gonna put her fingers in her ears and say "lalalala I can't hear you!" or perhaps some variation of "I know you are, but what am I?"

How was I not clear?

In this particular case, it's because you typed so much. In detailing what makes me an ***hole, you mentioned all the things I pointed out and more. I want to be clear on precisely what it is that brought that specific insult to mind.

It has nothing to do with you having a personal feeling.

Okay-so I don't need evidence of alien life elsewhere; that part doesn't concern you.

It's the fact that you were so recalcitrant in how you talked towards the religious, and then you go on to do the same thing they were doing.

I did correct myself in the initial statement I made in this thread. I do not,as I initially said, BELIEVE in alien life, that was much too strong a conviction, so you really can't legitimately make a comparison.

It's not simply that you're being hypocritical

Right...THAT subtlety, I get

but that you were so obstinate towards people that had an irrational faith-based belief, and then do the exact same thing by having an irrational belief with no evidence.

So, it's the obstinance?

What this tells me is that you think it's ok to have beliefs rooted solely in personal feelings, but only if they are things you like, and not if they are things you don't like. I've seen you exhibit this same type of behavior in other threads, like take that thread where you thought it was OK to shame people, but only if it was for things you agreed with, and not for things you didn't.

I can see where you might come to this conclusion, but it's not quite this for me. My biggest problem with the religious is with those who insist *I* have to do something in order to make them and their God happy or that everyone around them has to change. They seem to want to mold everyone else to their beliefs Those who simply believe in a god and go about their owns lives while staying out of others, I have little problem with. It's not the belief that gets to me-it's when they insist it's knowledge, not belief, and thinks entitles them to tell others how to live their lives.

And in the latest shaming thread, you got me to re-think and re-assess my stance. Don't you remember that?

The reason why that makes you an as$shole, is because in my experience, people that say things like this (i.e it's OK for me to do something, but not you) tend to have a "my way or the highway" attitude with others and can be really difficult to interact with.

While I appreciate the thread of your thoughts, this is getting to be like a Comcast commercial comically creating conjecture. I don't have a 'my way or the highway' attitude about most anything, certainly least of all crap like this.

Well, at least you grasped one thing I typed. It *was*, after all, in response to this adult declaration;

If that's how you feel, then OK, but then I don't think you have the right to criticize the religious anymore.

I still get to though. Because I don't believe in God, and I don't believe in aliens either. I believe in things I have physical evidence of, period.

It was either that or the tongue-sticking emoticon.

Not sure why you're throwing your hat in the ring chalup. I didn't direct anything towards you in this thread, in fact, I think you've had some of the better posts in this thread, along with pavonis. In fact, I particularly enjoyed your post #39. So what's up man?

Mebbe it's because even though you sometimes contribute interesting, insightful posts, your seemingly pathological need to browbeat people with yer words rather than engage in anything resembling human conversation makes everybody kind of hate you?

I don't think any of my posts in this thread have...been...insulting. The only name I called anyone is MG, and that's because I think she deserves it.

I take exception to both these theories: Calling a person an asshole IS insulting (No big, I don't care, but that doesn't make it less insulting, either) and how did I DESERVE to be called an asshole? I didn't hurt you or anyone here. THAT would be deserving. I think you have the RIGHT to call me an asshole, you certainly have the right to your *opinion* that I am an asshole, but, please, at least know the difference between an insult and an observation.

Not sure why you're throwing your hat in the ring chalup.

Maybe he thinks you're an asshole?

Guest El Chalupacabra

All I am saying is there is a better way of getting your point across, than calling MG an as$hole, is all. I don't necessarily disagree with pointing out the hypocrisy of an atheist or anti-religious person, who believes there are aliens. But come on, why do you have to call MG an As$hole?

As far as your pot meets kettle comment, I don't think anything I have said in this thread has been particularly childish.

Well, if spending 3+ pages railing against MG and derailing this thread isn't childish, I don't know what is. Especially when I can't think of an instance where MG was ever unkind to you.

Mebbe it's because even though you sometimes contribute interesting, insightful posts, your seemingly pathological need to browbeat people with yer words rather than engage in anything resembling human conversation makes everybody kind of hate you?

Hmm, yeah I guess you're right. I have a problem.

Guest El Chalupacabra

For the record CM, I am not saying I dislike you. I like you and enjoy reading many of your posts. All I am saying is you went a little too far on this one.

For the record, I am an atheist AND believe in aliens. It is aliens that have performed all the "miracles" and provided the "divine insight" which has caused our race to evolve. God...Got zero proof for. Aliens...Sort of in the same ballpark. The difference is, believing in aliens is sort of geeky and loveable, while a belief in God leads to automatic association with Jerry Falwell.

I can say it. "No one has been touched by an alien". See, easy.

Getting back on track - let's say there were aliens who could travel the stars and visit us. Why go all the way here to swirl some patterns in crops, mutilate some cattle, and anally interrogate some hicks? Seems like an outrageously expensive trip for so little return on the investment.

If aliens are here, and supposedly in bed with the governments of the world, why the secrecy? What's the gain?

I'm willing to admit that truly alien psychologies would have very different agendas, goals, and interests from us, but they'd still be bound by the laws of physics, so a lot of what these aliens purportedly do is just impossible.

I read a lot of these alien encounter stories when I was a kid. It's remarkable how the aliens described went from all radically different - giant lizard people from Venus (?!) to little green men from Mars - to a standard "grey alien" with big black eyes, no noses, slits for mouths, and little or no clothing. What happened - did these greys manage to chase off all the other aliens and corner the market on anal probe data?

Doesn't help that some people are so convinced aliens are here that even when you tell them the truth about an incident - Roswell, Area 51, etc - they still won't believe you. Completely irrational. Hard to believe such individuals can function in society.

Since the definition of "alien" is that it is contrary to what we think is normal, if they exist they could be doing things very logically, we just don't get it. Or maybe they are like galactic Jehova Witnesses and crop circles are their version of the Watchtower.

Dude. There are people here who enjoy reading some of these posts and are able to separate the feelings of people and get to gist of the post. I know that some of you have a different level of education than the rest us. However, I enjoy reading Destiny Skywalker's posts more than say Brando's or CMs because there is a certain way she writes that does not come off as "smug prick". And I am not trying to start anything (although this weekend I was kind of pointed and jerky). I realize this is a personality thing.

Not everyone is taught to argue or think in a way that is expected by others. I think Tami presents here well enough that someone who has been a long time moderator and sometimes troll can understand and move on with then perhaps we should take a lesson from Pong. There's being funny and mean like Krawlie and Pong arch-nemesis nature and then there is a certain point when its something more.

I actually can write and make cognizant paragraphs that make sense. I sometimes am not able to do it here because this is not my job and it is just a message board so I kind of dismiss it as a sounding board for my thoughts when there is time for a break at work or at home and I am actually multi-tasking so it is not receiving my full attention. For CM to write out her thoughts on the 2016 campaign or for pavonis to write about his thoughts on global warming is great. I applaud the effort on their part and enjoy reading it. However, the assholishness really starts to get tiring or the tooting your own horn.

I am just kind of stating my complaint. I am more thick skinned and it doesn't really bother me but to drop comments and be a jerk makes you just as childish as the person you are trying to attack or provoke.

I can say it. "No one has been touched by an alien". See, easy.

Getting back on track - let's say there were aliens who could travel the stars and visit us. Why go all the way here to swirl some patterns in crops, mutilate some cattle, and anally interrogate some hicks? Seems like an outrageously expensive trip for so little return on the investment.

If aliens are here, and supposedly in bed with the governments of the world, why the secrecy? What's the gain?

I'm willing to admit that truly alien psychologies would have very different agendas, goals, and interests from us, but they'd still be bound by the laws of physics, so a lot of what these aliens purportedly do is just impossible.

I read a lot of these alien encounter stories when I was a kid. It's remarkable how the aliens described went from all radically different - giant lizard people from Venus (?!) to little green men from Mars - to a standard "grey alien" with big black eyes, no noses, slits for mouths, and little or no clothing. What happened - did these greys manage to chase off all the other aliens and corner the market on anal probe data?

Doesn't help that some people are so convinced aliens are here that even when you tell them the truth about an incident - Roswell, Area 51, etc - they still won't believe you. Completely irrational. Hard to believe such individuals can function in society.

Why does anybody do what they do?

Regarding Greys: they first appeared in popular culture in the late 19th century as "evolved humans" or something. I think the post-Hills standardization has to do with the psychological and physiological their appearance invokes in so many people. Reptilians and Venusials just don't pack nearly as much oomph, so they have fallen out of favor.

I actually can write and make cognizant paragraphs that make sense. I sometimes am not able to do it here because this is not my job and it is just a message board so I kind of dismiss it as a sounding board for my thoughts when there is time for a break at work or at home and I am actually multi-tasking so it is not receiving my full attention.

Nor is this my job, but I figure if my thoughts are worth presenting, they're worth presenting well.

Why does anybody do what they do?

Regarding Greys: they first appeared in popular culture in the late 19th century as "evolved humans" or something. I think the post-Hills standardization has to do with the psychological and physiological their appearance invokes in so many people. Reptilians and Venusials just don't pack nearly as much oomph, so they have fallen out of favor.

I didn't know that the grey archetype was appearing as early as the 19th century, Pong. Interesting. Or is it just that they've been visiting that long? There's definitely something creepy about the grey alien form. I wonder if anyone has done studies of primate reactions to a grey alien form.

Amanda attacking me means nothing to me so don't anybody defend me on that account. I still...enjoy...reading everything she posts. Let's back up and say I always find what she posts valuable, even if it's long-winded. I also think this kind of back-and-forth doesn't really need to be moderated. I'm an adult, I waded into this shit and I know Amanda well enough to know what I was asking for. And again, there are only 5 of us left-let her swing at me-it makes the debate portion of this SO much easier if we can just be ourselves and that IS Amanda's wolverine-like, cunty self. Let her be.

Amanda, still love you :) and I get what you're saying now. Can you link me to that 3-page rants on the religious you keep referring to? I can't remember why I started the thing sand would like to re-read.

so, back to everyone else and the point of this thread-maybe I should also clarify what I mean by 'believing in aliens'. I think knowing what little we know about this planet and those we can reach, it would be surprising to me that we are the only life forms ever, anywhere. It just seems much more likely there is more. And by aliens, I don't mean ET. I mean life-even if it's what we were before we were recognizable as mammals. I really don't think intelligent beings who have built civilizations and with whom we could communicate exist now anywhere else. It's as romantic and desirable a notion to me as ghosts, gods, fairies, unicorns, the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot and soul mates.

I don't ever want to know who makes crop circles and why. I like the level of knowledge of those pieces of art exactly where it is. LOVE crop circles and LOVE the debate about them. I want to someday create the urban art version of crop circles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.