2014 NFL Season.

Ms. Spam

Another, even better example, is Bill Cowher. In the middle of his Steelers tenure they had 3 straight non playoff seasons including 6 and 7 win seasons. Did the Steelers panic and fire him? No, and this was a coach who through this point hadn't won a Super Bowl and had lost several home playoff games as big favorites. Was he being "sheltered" by his earlier success? No, he wasn't. The Steelers knew Cowher was a good coach, they knew good coaches are hard to win, so they kept him. What happened? They turned it around, had several more excellent seasons including a Super Bowl.

They had to retool the team from the 90s with guys like Woodson and Lloyd and Kevin Greene. They knew they needed younger talent and to make essentially a new team. They were smart enough to say "hey, we have a good coach. Lets allow this good coach to coach the team when we do rebuild it, rather than hire some new guy who we have no idea about."

Hey! I made Simmons' Mailbag!!! (I'm Garrison from Indianapolis)

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/divisional-playoffs-simmons-mailbag-patriots-ravens-colts-broncos-cowboys-packers-panthers-seahawks/

My question was kind of a tongue in cheek response to his "Did you know..." diatribe on Manning in last week's mailbag

My point isn't that Brady sucks, or even that he's worse than Manning... it's the same one I've always made. Manning is great, Brady is great, single elimination playoffs suck (but are awesome), and statistics go both ways.

The Cowboys made the playoffs less often during that span and have no rings. How "cute"

Aw ok. Missed this. You're right. I can miss these things sometimes. Blinded by the rings, I guess.

Tell me this, though, how bad does is suck to know that your team could only manage one SB with the "greatest" QB of all time? Get used to it buddy. That's probably all you're ever gonna get.

Brace yourself for a Dallas win and a Manning engineered Indy loss on Sunday. Breathe easy. I'm sure you don't live too far from a Taco Bell.

Substitute Golden Corral in there and even Dex wouldn't have disagreed.

Oh and for good measure: Lol at "only one Super Bowl" coming from a Cowboys fan that had, prior to last weekend, enjoyed a single solitary playoff win (say nothing of a Super Bowl) the last 17 seasons.

Cowboys fans are funny, biggest frontrunning fans there are. When they are down everyone has to go, Romo sucks, Garret has to be fired. Now I've heard some want Romo to be MVP and they act like going to Lambeau to win is a foregone conclusion. Hold your horses, you've won a wild card game. You've accomplished nothing.

The Packers are 8-0 at home this year, having outscored opponents 318 to 193.

Having said that, I do think Dallas has a decent chance to win tomorrow.

The Cowboys made the playoffs less often during that span and have no rings. How "cute"

Aw ok. Missed this. You're right. I can miss these things sometimes. Blinded by the rings, I guess.

"Blinded by the rings" literally negates everything you were just saying about the Giants. Way to defeat your own smack talk.

As for the Colts you're right. They should have won more than one ring. Lot of wasted opportunities there no question.

And Golden Corral is the ****ing BOMB. Watch yer mouth.

Cowboys fans are funny, biggest frontrunning fans there are. When they are down everyone has to go, Romo sucks, Garret has to be fired. Now I've heard some want Romo to be MVP and they act like going to Lambeau to win is a foregone conclusion. Hold your horses, you've won a wild card game. You've accomplished nothing.

The Packers are 8-0 at home this year, having outscored opponents 318 to 193.

Having said that, I do think Dallas has a decent chance to win tomorrow.

Thing about Giants fans is that they feel like they should be the center of the football universe, but they know they aren't and are quite bothered by it. They seem to have a Yankees complex. They've accomplished a lot, but they'll never be the Yankees and they know it. I think that's why you see so much Dallas hate. Yeah, it's been a long time since they did anything, but the arrogance of the Cowboys reminds the Giants of how little they are in the overall NFL spectrum.

I'm a Giants fan, obviously, and I think you couldn't be more wrong. Giants fans love nothing more than when no one pays attention to the Giants. We hate when they are a big national story. We'd like nothing more than to fly under the radar as much as possible. We love when the Jets get all the attention in NY.

As for the Dallas hate, we are in the same division. I can't speak for all Giants fans but I know that I hate the Eagles much more than I hate Dallas. The Cowboys are my 2nd least favorite NFL team.

There is nothing we'd like more than for no one to pay attention at all to us so that all of our games could be on Sunday at 1:00. We hate games that start at any other time

I'm a Giants fan, obviously, and I think you couldn't be more wrong. Giants fans love nothing more than when no one pays attention to the Giants. We hate when they are a big national story. We'd like nothing more than to fly under the radar as much as possible. We love when the Jets get all the attention in NY.

As for the Dallas hate, we are in the same division. I can't speak for all Giants fans but I know that I hate the Eagles much more than I hate Dallas. The Cowboys are my 2nd least favorite NFL team.

There is nothing we'd like more than for no one to pay attention at all to us so that all of our games could be on Sunday at 1:00. We hate games that start at any other time

Well you're wrong about Cowboys fans, too. Sure there are a lot of Romo and Garrett haters, but most of my Cowboy buddies are not like that.

And I can assure you that none of us feel like we've accomplished anything yet. It's been a great season, but winning the SB does not seem realistic.

Yet.

I'm prepared to say Dallas blew the game in the final 60 seconds.

Driving, up 14-7 with 2 timeouts, miss on 3rd and 1 and then pass up going for it on 4th and 1 (which is unconscionable in this situation in my opinion), missed (2) FG, now leading just 14-10 and Green Bay is getting the ball to start the second half.

Well you're wrong about Cowboys fans, too. Sure there are a lot of Romo and Garrett haters, but most of my Cowboy buddies are not like that.

And I can assure you that none of us feel like we've accomplished anything yet. It's been a great season, but winning the SB does not seem realistic.

Yet.

Maybe those fans are just the loudest? I dunno, I was talking in generalizations and not about any one person in particular. But I think to be fair a team that is a national team is going to have alot of fair weather type fans. It just makes sense. Most Cowboys fans are Cowboys fan because at some point in their lives (probably when young) the Cowboys were good and glamorous and all of that.I That was the attraction. So it stands to reason that when that is taken away alot of the fans are going to fade away a bit.

But that's emblematic of all the "national" teams like the Cowboys, the Lakers, Notre Dame. Cowboys fans just get mouthy very quickly in alot of cases. I listened to WFAN a bunch this week and many Cowboys fans called up saying Romo was MVP this year and then acting indignant when told he wasn't.

I did too because NFL officiating is largely a sham (did you see some of the spots today?) - and Steratore is the joker who called the Calvin Johnson pass incomplete a couple years ago.

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass, he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

Tell me where Bryant lost control of the ball. He didn't. He had such control of the ball that he extended for the end zone. It was a bad overturn, because of an unbelievably bad rule.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.