Fantastic Four reboot

Exodus

I was wondering if any of you had seen it yet? I was thinking about downloading a cam torrent, but I didn't want to spend my neighbor's bandwidth.

Normally I would go off on my bootlegging/torrenting is stealing rant, but this movie is so bad, it doesn't deserve any money.

My take, the TL;DR version: a couple of hints of good ideas survived the past two years' worth of development and production, but they're only about five minutes out of a 100-minute patchwork mess. Well-played Cronenberg body-horror doesn't mesh well with inept super-hero merchandising machine.

I'd bet anything that the FF will be like Punisher and Ghost Rider and it will quietly return to Marvel. spider-man is too iconic to not go big with. marvel's plans are so worked out for years I don't see room for a FF movie. They'd fight for the X-Men, but not the FF.

Meanwhile, Fox could easily put all their money into the x-men. There's enough characters and sub groups to build their own universe with.

They should fight for the FF. If a Marvel movie even moved within 30% of the best FF print stories, they would end up with the greatest superhero or any fantasy film ever made. That's how strong the FF was at its height, and frankly, few superhero movies are even a whisper of that.

There was a time when the FF was Marvel's flagship title, but even they can't keep interest in th FF going. They've been relaunched and cancelled over and over in the last 15 years. The era you're talking about is great to read as a sample of that era, but none of those stories would translate to the modern day. I know you hate all things new, it's a truth that everyone struggles with.

Fox, like any other studio, thinks to make it current they have to make it dark, which is silly. In print Marvel has tried several approaches, none of which really clicked. That's not to say it can't be done, but the core ideals of the original story, for whatever reason, don't seem to catch with modern audiences.

No, I do not hate all things new in the way you hate all things old (see how that worked? :) ), but any story can be translated to the modern day. How many old books that were very much a product of their decade-or in some cases, century--found updated success on screen over the decades? Especially fantasy stories? Superman the Movie, Raimi's Spider-Man, Captain America - The First Avenger and other films all dealt with stories published for generations (and their culture) that were/are long gone, but each easily found big screen success.

I do not see the FF as being a greater challenge. If--as you say--the story does not catch with present day audience, blame that on wrongheaded or inferior filmmakers, not the basic concept. The De Laurentis Flash Gordon was a perfect example of the wrong people screwing up what could have been a spectacular film--even coming in on the heels of (at that time) two Star Wars films.

What's an old school FF arc you think could make it? I am admittedly nowhere near s versed with them as say the X-Men. But most of the classic FF stories I recall are outlier scifi alien stories or super-science vs monsters. Or Namor's Sue-boner ruining their day.

There's a good number from the 60s/70s period worth adapting. I would say some of their arcs were full-on sci-fi driving down the same lanes as Star Trek adventures beyond Galactus (the go-to FF sci-fi reference), such as (for one example) the early Negative Zone plots; seeds of Kirby's DC sci-fi work were planted here, so you can guess how way out it was.

The FF was the groundbreaker on Marvel's side of the sci-hero sub-genre, and with that running so much through the MCU (Guardians, sentient "robot," alien invasion, or the tech which defines Iron & Ant Man), it all swims in that genre often. A proper FF adaptation would fit right in, and they would add the interesting idea of superheroes not tied to SHEILD or Stark in any way.

• 9 months later...

Well, recording it on HBO was the way to go. As Six said, there were some decent ideas in the movie, but that isn't saying much. The first half or so was alright enough as some sort of adaptation to Reed's origin in the Ultimate Universe, but it basically went horribly awry essentially right after they got their powers. As I have seen others say recently off of Nightly, the cast did an alright job with what they were given. Besides once again completely messing up Doom and the relationships between other characters, it's biggest crime is probably that it is just boring and completely non-interesting.

I was honestly hoping for something worse.

I keep falling asleep before they get their powers...

Then the second half will put you in a coma!

I agree that the movie got really bad after they got their powers and it leaped ahead a year. Don't get me started on garbage bag Doom!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.