Fantastic Four reboot

Exodus

And I adore jessica alba, but since when is Sue Storm ethnic?

:shrug:
I was actually looking for my original opinion about the last movie where I'm pretty sure I stated that I just don't see it because there's just something inherently blonde about Sue and Johnny, but I found that pretty funny.
Other than that I renew my opinion from 9 years ago.

Ok yeah...I agree with most of what was posted up there...but I'll still be driven to see it by the same loyalty that took me to see The Hulk, Daredevil, The Punisher and (possibly one day) Elektra.

I was either being ironic or I was way less tolerant about comic adaptions in 2005. Obviously that original FF would have been perfect if Alba was more white. Was that thread also full of comments to the fact that nightly user Crys/XD was a dead ringer for Alba?

Re: Alba. It's hard to categorize her casting as changing Sue's ethnicity. They had Alba go blonde (with a wig, I believe) and gave her blue-eyed contacts. Alba is part Dutch/French and half-Mexican IRL so it's not even unlikely for someone of that mix to be blonde/blue-eyed (as I noted about my niece, who is black/white but white, blonde and blue-eyed). Nothing about Alba's casting was out of line really with a traditional appearance. You could argue it wasn't the near perfect casting of Reeve to Superman, but it was outstandingly closer to the source than the Last Airbender casting.

The thing about Alba's casting that sticks out isn't her, it's Evans' Johnny. And that's not saying Evans' Johnny wasn't right, it's just they didn't look related and that's not an ethnicity thing either. Plus all the effort to blonde/blue-eye up Alba was not applied to Evans, which was strange if you think about it.

When you cast a multi-million dollar film hoping to make a kazillion dollar sustaining franchise and in that franchise there are siblings and you don't cast them to look like siblings then yes it is surprising and also it is the first thing I thought... and yes, right after I pondered why they blonded Alba but not Evans.

Source = CBR

Miles "Mr.Fantastic?!" Teller explains that this new film will be "very grounded" and feature "human people".

This is great because I've always thought the Fantastic Four should be less fantastic and I always pictured them as humans as opposed to apes.

Afterthought: Although, apes, hmm. Now that I'm thinking about that...

HAHAHAHA It's been done.

I was either being ironic or I was way less tolerant about comic adaptions in 2005. Obviously that original FF would have been perfect if Alba was more white. Was that thread also full of comments to the fact that nightly user Crys/XD was a dead ringer for Alba?

No. But that was the thread I was looking for when I found this one.

• 8 months later...

The Fantastic Grounded Average Four News gets worserer:

http://io9.com/the-fantastic-four-reboot-is-reinventing-doctor-doom-in-1657191173

I'm all for mixing things up from the source material, but its possible to do that without completely giving the finger to the source material. I've never been a big FF fan so I don't care THAT much-- but everything I hear about this movie just seems terrible.

Its amazing to me how they seem to have so much trouble with making Fantastic Four into a movie. I know the book's success in recent years, at least, has almost entirely depended on the writer, but it just seems like the type of book that could be easily adapted into a fun, family sci-fi movie. Don't worry about establishing an origin for the team and just have them get caught up in hijinks related to Reed's ideas, whether it is exploring something like the Negative Zone or accidentally causing something horrible, but also ridiculous, to happen in the Baxter Building.

Or maybe I'd like to see the Mole Man. It would be better than another horrible Doom.

Yes! I was sort of thinking about that earlier, at least in as much as that of all of the Marvel properties farmed out to other studios, this is almost the one I think that I would like to see under the Marvel Studio the most. They could then easily place it either an earlier decade or have Reed be inspired to explore space and/or alternate dimensions by events in Avengers and/or the Infinity War.

It would be great to see it as a period film, though, as its own separate property.

That would be great, too! I'm kind of surprised by how bummed I am about them seemingly misfiring on this since I have never been a huge fan by any means. I really got into Hickman's run on the book and FF, though, along with the Fraction(?) series that followed even though it definitely lost steam as it went.

F4 should ideally be in the MfilmU and exist in the period between WWII and Iron Man, probably along side Hank Pym and not seen by the public as SUPERHEROES! dun dun daaa! but instead as Intrepid Explorers... like powered versions of Jacques Cousteau. Most of their "battles" are top secret by shield, but their adventures are media white-washed and sensationalized for PR+Patriotism during the Cold War/Space Race era.

Instead of Heroic Destruction Pron you then formulate their scripts with classic adventure templates; Indiana Jones, Journey to the Center of the Earth etc. Mixing in some James Bond feeling thanks to Shield and Reed used, in addition to his F4 typical duties, as Q.

I think, if Dis/Marvel had control the F4 might actually be a TV series over Agents&Carter. It would rock in that format.

No proof of the validity of this-- but it lines up with all the terrible rumors. This has been creeping out about the internet, supposedly a leaked synopsis:
"Reed is a genius convenience store clerk with Ben. Reed's parents don't care about him, and Ben's dad is abusive. They're good friends and have each other's backs. Reed writes a paper for community college on teleportation that attracts the attention of Dr. Franklin Storm, CEO of the Baxter Building research center.

Storm has a son, Johnny, and an adoptive daughter, Sue, whose father, Storm's old partner, died in an experiment gone wrong. Johnny and Sue are party kids, and Sue is particularly disdainful of science. Reed and Sue don't get along at first.

Victor Domashev is a anti-social Eastern European computer programmer and hacktivist who calls himself "Doom". He hates the 1%, particularly Storm, whom he claims corrupts science for profit.

Storm uses Reed's paper to complete some equations on a machine to access another dimension, the N-Zone. Reed invites Ben to watch the machine being turned on. Sue and Johnny are also there. Doom manages to hack into the Baxter Building's servers and use a computer virus to damage the machine, which explodes. Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben are exposed to otherwordly energy and become mutants with powers that they can't control.

Storm takes them to the Baxter Building and creates containment suits for their powers. They begin to train. Reed and Storm also begin developing a way to revert the accident. Sue blames Reed for everything, but they eventually become friends and then a couple. Ben can switch off his powers when he's not in danger. Johnny changes colors based on heat intensity, and Sue has some borderline telekinetic thing. Reed is pretty much Reed.

Doom finds out that the four have acquired powers and becomes angry it's not him, so he comes up with a plan to break into the Baxter Building to access the N-Zone through the rebuild machine. As a distraction, he reprograms a bunch of stolen military drones, the "Doombots", to attack the building. The four come together as a team for the first time and save people.

Doom activates the machine and gets technopathy powers or something, basically energy blasts and making machines obey to him, and a fight ensues. The machine goes critical, and, in order to prevent it from exploding and destroying the city, the four push into it and Storm shuts it off.

There's a countdown before it reaches critical mass. Inside the N-Zone, the four battle Doom again, and manage to leave him trapped there after he disfigures himself soaking up too much power. The Four manage to escape, but Ben gets the blunt of it to protect Reed and can't switch back.

The machine is destroyed, Doom is gone, the four have learned to work as a team, and Reed vows to find a cure for Ben. And it ends there."
Not entirely terrible-- very much in line with the Ultimate FF comic, actually, nearly identical aside from Doom being a hacker. If this is accurate, it's not as terrible as I thought... but it's also pretty run of the mill origin story territory we've seen a billion times at this point.
In fact, if anything, I'd suspect this as being fake because it's so similar to the Ultimate FF comic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.