Fantastic Four reboot

Exodus

Closer to the Ultimate FF origin as opposed to the 616. Hey, If the X-Men movies can pick and choose who was a member of which cast, I'm fine with this.

My only reservation is that what was great about the FF originally, was they were a total nuclear 50s/60s family that had superpowers. The Ultimate version, and the movie, skewed younger, which I get, but I think loses a bit of the originality.

That said, if they make a good movie, I won't care.

What about the casting is off? The fact they are younger?

It's not my preference either, but like I said, when they did the FF for the Ultimate Universe they were teenagers. In some ways it was cool to see Reed and Sue to meet and fall in love.

Yeah. I'm used to an older Reed. I never got into any of the Ultimate Marvel comics. Instead, we're probably going to get some Shia LaBeouf-looking punk. Also, Johnny Storm is traditionally white. It bugs me when they change the race of a character. That would be like casting The Falcon as a white guy in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. People would be up-in-arms about that. Hell, I'd be one of them. I just don't picture Johnny Storm as a black guy, that's all. He's a blonde white dude. That's ingrained in my psyche. The only reason I accept Sam Jackson as Nick Fury is that he's Sam Jackson. I would've preferred the Fury I'm used to in the 616 universe, but I get that they wanted to go with the "cooler" version from the Ultimate universe... and that's fine. It's Sam Jackson, after all. I wasn't even bothered when they cast Laurence Fishburne as Perry White in Man of Steel. After all, the character doesn't come off as being any particular ethnicity in the comics, if that makes any sense. He could be Jewish, Italian, Irish, etc., etc. Johnny Storm, however, is so clearly whitebread. Always has been, always should be. Just as Luke Cage should always be a streetwise black dude.

The casting of Michael B. Jordan as Johnny just comes off as all wrong to me. Like they're forcing it, just to have some diversity. Why not bring in more characters who are actually black? For instance, The Black Panther ties in pretty heavily to the FF comics. Why not use him in the movie and keep Johnny the correct race? It'd be the perfect springboard for the long-overdue Black Panther movie! I mean, I don't want to come off as racist, but it's going to bother me when I watch the movie, seeing a black guy playing a character I've known as white my whole life. It isn't going to seem authentic to me. It's actually going to ruin the whole experience before I even view it.

Sorry to offend anyone. I'm just being honest.

I get it. If you oppose it, people scream racist. If you're for it, you're a PC apologist.

For me, on an even playing field, if an actor is good, and race isn't inherent to the role (like BLACK Panther HAS to be Black and Captain American pretty much has to be white I don't mind race swapping too much. Jessica Alba isn't white and she played Sue. I get what you say about Johnny-- like I said T'Challa has to be black, Steve white. The Storm family doesn't scream out o me that they have to be any particular race if this takes place in a modern era.

What I DON'T want though is a black Johnny Storm to be there for token reasons for the white director to have as a conversation piece about race. That would get in the way of the movie.

That said, if it was part of the story, I could accept it. Like I said, to me the FF is about family. If Sue was also black, I'd be okay with it. If Sue is white, and Johnny is adopted or they are a multi-racial family, I don't mind that as it's presenting the "modern American family" which is what the original FF were in the 60s....

You know, again, if the actors are good. It's going to be a house of cards situation for me. If it is good, and they sell it, I won't care. If the movie blows, it will be one more thing that causes friction for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah.

I was hoping for:

Jon Hamm as Reed.

Edward Burns as Ben.

The Rock as Namor.

I didn't have favorites for Johnny and Sue, but I liked the rumor of Michael B Jordan, so I thought for a bit about who'd be the right age and match up to Hamm and Jordan... I landed on a little known actress named Rose Rollins. I'd seen her in a couple shows here and there and dug her look/skillz.

Maybe they can get Snyder to direct, and then I can absolutely say that I'll never see it, instead of now where I might watch it on TV someday when I'm really bored and want to fall asleep watching a movie with explosions.

I'm O ... K ... with a young F4. I totally prefer an older F4*. However this project looks more like a Singer X-Men thing now than any sort of "inspired by" era of comics. Not because of MBJ as Johnny, mind you. It looks like they are going for a young F4, but they are all 30 (or thereabout), it's 90210 casting and that's one thing that annoys me. I also think the production has made this a statement about race now instead of anything else by casting Kate Mara opposite MBJ. I totally can dig it if they take the time to say something in the film about modern families being diverse, but if they don't say anything then it feels lazy and dishonest.

*My ideal F4 is older because of the rich archetypes presented in the characters at that age.

The Professor

The Soldier

The Matriarch

The Hero

Ages ago we had a discussion about The Last Airbender, the points are still valid even though the film was horrid, maybe in hindsight more valid as it can really be argued now that the production was not focused correctly from the start. I understood people being annoyed with the casting of the film not being straight inspired by the cartoon, it annoyed me too, some called it white-washing, I dunno if that was totally fair, but I could see the point. I was able to stomach the changes because it didn't necessarily have to be changes that were making statements or continuing a "Hollywood tradition of white-washing". We could argue it was, we could make it an issue, and that could be valid. But the casting was consistent across families and had the film not been total shit, perhaps the castings would be seen differently after the fact.

Day Dreaming Post:

I think Jon Hamm and Edward Burns as Reed and Ben is genius.

Hamm is seen as this macho guy and he does it well, but he does aloof awesomely too. Stick a pipe in his mouth and put on smart specs it's flawless. Burns is as New York as you can get without reaching into the Godfather cast. Casting him as the seasoned astronaut turned monstrous blue-eyed Thing is so on the nose it makes me giddy.

Anyone?! Bueller?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.