Hannibal: Season 2

Pong Messiah

I just realized that most of this season has been Will Long Conning Hannibal. Obviously Freddie isn't dead, so he folded her into the Long Con. He's totally playing Hannibal to catch him in the act or to gather irrefutable evidence. THIS IS WILL'S DESIGN.

It took me a little to make the Verger connection. I'm kind of slow. This is kind of better than the novels I have to say. I like this Will Graham. I rewatched Manhunter the other day and even though I have a love of William Peterson I still feel this stuff is much much better.

I have not seen tonight's episode but I am looking forward to it.

It took me a little to make the Verger connection. I'm kind of slow. This is kind of better than the novels I have to say. I like this Will Graham. I rewatched Manhunter the other day and even though I have a love of William Peterson I still feel this stuff is much much better.

In Red Dragon, Will is a very well-drawn character. Not as hyper-intelligent and able to make connections like in Hannibal, but he's definitely the smartest guy in the room, and he definitely "feels" his cases perhaps too deeply. These two traits carry over into the TV show. But at the end of the day, Book-Will is just a man whose need to "do his job" is causing him to push away/lose his family. And he's aware but can't help himself. It was well done, and probably didn't feel stale to people when they first read the story -- but I'm a little tired of that particular character now, and glad he was redrawn with more edge and quirk for the series.

I won't say that either book-Will or TV-Will are "better" than the other, just different. But TV-Will is (not surprisingly?) far better suited to television generally and the aesthetic of this show specifically.

Whoa... just caught last night's episode.

I might have to take it back. I have a *feeling* Freddie is still alive and working with Will and the "fear" Hannibal is tasting is from mecha-furry getting his ass beat to death by Will.

If he actually killed Freddie, that just... well, he's just looked too far into the abyss for me. Really hope it's a feint.

You're totally right about the con, and I think you're right about Freddie. It's just that TV-Will gets so into character and he hates Freddie so much, ya gotta wonder a little!

Can't wait for next week!

Actually, come to think of it, his truly deep and violent hatred of Freddie came after he (she) did something to him in the books that hasn't happened in the show, so I take it back.

Ya know, if you step back and look at the big picture ... The only reason Hannibal gets caught is because Will made one of those intuitive leaps only he is capable of. Hannibal didn't fuck up. Will just made a leap. How careful and smart Hannibal was is why its taking so long since that leap to actually get Hannibal in cuffs.

This is the biggest difference between the series and the books.

Yeah. I don't wanna give too much away but there are few shows that I look forward to and this one of them. I recommended this show during Mothers Day BBQ over succulent beef and chicken and other yummy foods. I love the actors chosen to portray these characters.

If you think about it Darcy as Will is doing most of the terrible things that Hannibal does through his imagination as he reproduces the murder scenes as a visualization so he has the gruesome-r scenes that Mads Mikkelson. Hannibal, you see prepping to do something bad but cooks the most exquisite meals. I find that interesting to the characters too.

I'm not sure how much longer the show can go but it is doing a great job doing it. The giant Elk creature is interesting and I keep meaning to see what lore there is concerning this theme. Last season was cooking references for the titles and this season it's still cooking but in Japanese!

And what did you think, Pong?

Amazing, ugly, absurd, gonzo disgusting, and surprisingly funny. A+ unsettling, and can't wait until the finale!

While the color was there, much of the presentation lacked the horrific grace and beauty of earlier episodes. Even the blood spray was only in one direction ("out"), with a mere hint of crimson brush strokes atop the piggy platform.

This wasn't a mistake -- obviously a consistent choice throughout the episode, and it worked brilliantly as a lead-in as everything goes bonkers in the finale. Even the Chopin prelude chosen was one of the few "ugly ones" he ever wrote. Brilliant.

Favorite line: "He shouldn't have done that."

I was cringing every time Mason did something rude. The feet on the table, the stabbing the chair armrest, etc. It's like, dude ... could you have PICKED a worse mofo to intentionally antagonize. LOL

This show is so good that I realized I was twenty minutes in and there'd been nothing but endless talking ... and that was okay.

Btw, this just in ... holy CRAP Hannibal can fight. He came close to taking out three professional thugs.

Bryan Fuller tweeted they have to "rent characters that were in books other than Red Dragon on a per Episode basis." Which means they paid a lot for Verger being in that many episodes. Makes me wonder how they're gonna pull off doing seasons of later books. They'll probably just make all inclusive deals per book.

So great.

I can honestly say I've never been so upset by a television show before, though. This episode literally hurt to watch at times.

Despite everything being so stylized and surreal, I really like these characters as well and fully-realized beings, and when each of them figures out -- all a step too late -- that they've been outmaneuvered by the devil, I could feel their disappointment, fear, horror.

And poor ****ing Abigail. Tool of her dad, tool of Hannibal. Dead.

Is Scully an accomplish? Hostage? Stockholm syndrome? She can't look at Hannibal without fear and revulsion, so my guess is it's a combination of all three.

Before season 3, I need to watch this series from the start again.

This is by far the best show on TV.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.