Hannibal: Season 2

Pong Messiah

Agreed. The best show on TV just dropped an awesome trailer.

You serious?

I've suspected this since the middle of the first season... and after a jumbled, kinda ho-hum season 3 of Homeland it was confirmed that this is the best (at least for me), but I didn't know anybody else felt that way.

I am genuinely concerned that this show doesn't last through its second season. This is a storyline that NEEDS to be played out. The last time I was worried about a show being cancelled was like... never?

Also: Hannibal as a character is way better here than in the books, where he just got ridiculous, and Will Graham is wonderfully skewed as well (though I also liked him as a character in Red Dragon).

Oh I'm serious as Hell now that Breaking Bad is over.

I hope Fuller gets his 7 seasons. Seasons 1-3 are planned out as before Red Dragon. Season 4 is Red Dragon. Season 5 is Silence of The Lambs. Season 6 is Hannibal. And Season would tell what happened after. this I hope this gets realized!

Oh wow, that would be sweet.

Question: I have never -- and I mean never -- been so disturbed by violence and gore in anything I've seen in real life, film, or text as I have by some of the scenes in Hannibal. There have even been a few times I felt borderline nauseous.

As a viewer, I can only attribute this to the skewed angles, colors (black and red against metallic tones), and accompanying sound effects/musical choices -- it's utterly disorienting, yet simultaneously very "wet" and organic. But I'm not a filmmaker, so I don't know why it works so well here. Do you have any idea what buttons are being pushed here/specific techniques/etc...?

I think it's everything you just listed, actually. Especially the overall sound design as well as the music. Listening to the season one commentaries they spend a Hell of a lot of time on sound design. Far more than any other TV show. So I'll bet that's a lot of it. Also the performances of the two leads can't be underestimated. Those two are awesome. So I think you hit the nail on the head.

Have you watched the DVDs? Did you know there was a full episode that the network (not just one station, the whole network) refused to air and can only be found on the DVDs? It's excellent. I won't spoil it in case you haven't seen it.

Had no idea about the missing episode. Considering that I've been shocked by what they've allowed on the air, I can only imagine the kind of horror that awaits me lol.

Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely check out the commentary. One of the things that drew me into the series before the larger story arc became rewarding was the level of craftsmanship that had obviously gone into making it. Usually discussions about that sort of thing bore me, but in this case it would be fascinating to get some background.

Had no idea about the missing episode. Considering that I've been shocked by what they've allowed on the air, I can only imagine the kind of horror that awaits me lol.

Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely check out the commentary. One of the things that drew me into the series before the larger story arc became rewarding was the level of craftsmanship that had obviously gone into making it. Usually discussions about that sort of thing bore me, but in this case it would be fascinating to get some background.

They didn't play an episode because it was out right after the Boston Bombing and they didn't want to disturb delicate sensibilities. So we missed one of the earller eps.

That's good news. I actually like that actress because she caught my eye in great guest appearances in both Supernatural and Stargate SG-1. She's got fire too. She once told a reporter that "It sucks that to make a living as an actor you have to take roles on crappy shows." I'm assuming that Supernatural was one of those shows she was referring to back then. LOL

Anyway, she's hot and a good actress so should make a good addition.

Guest El Chalupacabra

OK, I haven't seen Hannibal season 1, mainly because these days I wait until season 2 to invest my time in shows anymore. Especially regular network TV shows. I am considering this one, based on that preview.

So, give it to me straight... using it as a measuring stick, how does Hannibal stack up against Dexter (pre-season 5...back when it was good)?

OK, I haven't seen Hannibal season 1, mainly because these days I wait until season 2 to invest my time in shows anymore. Especially regular network TV shows. I am considering this one, based on that preview.

So, give it to me straight... using it as a measuring stick, how does Hannibal stack up against Dexter (pre-season 5...back when it was good)?

Dexter was a ton of fun when it started, and worth (reluctantly) finishing, IMO.

Hannibal is a lot less fun (seriously), but stylistically and intellectually and viscerally just miles ahead of Dexter. There's just no comparison.

Also, the game/set/match of Hannibal is just amazing.

I don't know if this is because it played with my expectations as a Red Dragon reader and viewer, or if it was just that well done, but virtually everything leading to the final scene of scene season one means something and it is fabulous.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.