UNCONFIRMED Star Wars news

Driver

Latest rumors regarding Finn

1-In reality he has no name, just a number in the First Order which starts with FN. Which is where Finn comes from.

2-Finn can use a lightsabre because the FO trains all of the stormtroopers to use a lightsaber.

3-Finn is somewhat of a protege to Captain Phasma.

I kind of like all three of these rumors. The idea of Finn going from basically having no identity of his own to developing as an indivudual with self worth throughout the movie and trilogy is interesting. The saber training is in line some of McQuarries old concept drawings which they clearly are using in these movies. Lastly him being Phasma's protege opens up some possibilities. Maybe Finn refuses to give an order early in the movie. Also it could mean Finn is somewhat of an officer in the FO and why he could have good info on the FO base. Lastly it opens up the possibility of a one on one fight between Phasma and Finn.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I can buy into the last two.

Considering the new movies borrow a lot from other McQuarrie art, it's not that much of a stretch to see stormtroopers being trained to use lightsabers:

As for the Finn-Phasma connection, I don't know about actually being a protoge, but maybe someone under her command. I see Phasma more as the new Boba Fett, and she is chasing Finn sort of like how Fett chased Solo.

Training them in lightsaber combat to what purpose? There still aren't a substantial amount of "good guys" with lightsabers running around, and it cheapens the idea of the lightsaber being a rite of passage; something difficult/needing the force to construct.

Training them in lightsaber combat to what purpose? There still aren't a substantial amount of "good guys" with lightsabers running around, and it cheapens the idea of the lightsaber being a rite of passage; something difficult/needing the force to construct.

Yeah I've got a few hangups with this - including these. Along with pav's comment. What good does some training with a lightsaber, or vibrosword, or whatever do against a Jedi who is ostensibly not only proficient in lightsaber combat but also, ya know, a Jedi?

I'm thinking it won't really come up in the movies. My guess is that Finn when he does face Kylo will be good enough with the saber to hold his own shortly before being beaten badly. Then when certain fans go "hey how did Finn even last that long if he's never used a saber!!!" it will be brought up in a book that the FO trained their troopers with sabers.

I'm saying logically, most everyone sees a light saber and knows they are not something anyone can pick up.

George Lucas losing his mind doesn't change that.

Light sabers are iconic, no way do they make them a common tool. Especially not when there's clearly weight and gravitas attached to the Skywalker saber and it's been noted Kylo Ren had to figure out how to make his own and it's janky as a result.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the theory that at least one of the new cast members is related to the old cast, I found it Rey's interaction with Han interesting. The fact that she merely "heard stories " implies that she's not tied to the family. Poe could be tied to it, but I doubt it. Finn? No.

That leaves Kylo Ren. As much as I would prefer that none of them are tied to the fam, I'd be shocked of this guy isn't Han's kid. I think Han's comments on the dark side being very real are quite telling. He knows he lost his son to it, and by the end of the film he'll probably have lost his life to it.

Back to the theory that at least one of the new cast members is related to the old cast, I found it Rey's interaction with Han interesting. The fact that she merely "heard stories " implies that she's not tied to the family. Poe could be tied to it, but I doubt it. Finn? No.

That leaves Kylo Ren. As much as I would prefer that none of them are tied to the fam, I'd be shocked of this guy isn't Han's kid. I think Han's comments on the dark side being very real are quite telling. He knows he lost his son to it, and by the end of the film he'll probably have lost his life to it.

Yeah I'm getting the impression that will be the case as well. Leia crying could be in some way related to Kylo. Maybe Han is convinced he can turn him back the same way Luke turned Vader back.

I think we're gonna see some cringe worthy scenes of Harrison Ford trying to play an old Han Solo. He's a crusty old bastard in real life and I can totally see him treating Han the same way Bruce Willis treats John MacLaine. He's just there for a paycheck, in a very Indy 4 kind of way.

I also think this is why Luke is mysteriously absent. In real life he's a short fat guy that looks more like a Gungan than a Jedi Knight. Anybody else see that story of him fishing out cig butts a few years ago? Voice acting can be hard, apparently. Trying to sell him as the end all be all of Jedi goodness might have to wait a while.

And what is drunk Carrie Fisher really gonna bring to this? Can't do coke anymore (I hope).

My bet is that they minimize Luke's role so that he can get into reasonable shape for the sequel, Han dies, and Leia sleepwalks through the whole thing while she's moaning about the whole thing.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think we're gonna see some cringe worthy scenes of Harrison Ford trying to play an old Han Solo. He's a crusty old bastard in real life and I can totally see him treating Han the same way Bruce Willis treats John MacLaine. He's just there for a paycheck, in a very Indy 4 kind of way.

I hope you are wrong. I want you to be wrong. But there is a good chance you are right. The last movie Ford was in that I think can be said he did some good acting in, was K19. And that wasn't Shakespeare to be sure. I think it comes down to the director with Ford. He's kind of turned into WIlliam Shatner to an extent.

And what is drunk Carrie Fisher really gonna bring to this? Can't do coke anymore (I hope).

Nostalgia, mostly.

I also think this is why Luke is mysteriously absent. In real life he's a short fat guy that looks more like a Gungan than a Jedi Knight. Anybody else see that story of him fishing out cig butts a few years ago? Voice acting can be hard, apparently. Trying to sell him as the end all be all of Jedi goodness might have to wait a while.

My bet is that they minimize Luke's role so that he can get into reasonable shape for the sequel, Han dies, and Leia sleepwalks through the whole thing while she's moaning about the whole thing.

I agree less can be more. To be fair, Hammil has slimmed down considerably, and I think he looks like Obi Wan. My guess, Luke's character will resemble the General Luke Skywalker of "THE Star Wars."

You're trolling obviously so most of what you said is irrelevant. But I do think Ford will kinda phone it in. Its been obvious for a while his heart isn't in acting anymore. But that's okay because Han was kinda that laid back guy anyway. Its not like he'd have to nail a layered emotionally complex scene. It'll be fine.

I hope I'm wrong, too, but the whole thing reminds me of Van Halen getting back together. At first I thought it was awesome, but then when I saw them together i thought it was.......something far short of awesome.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.