UNCONFIRMED Star Wars news

Driver

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm almost positive that rumor is from a game of telephone.

The saber ends up on Jakku and kicks things off-- but it bing on a ship that crashes versus falling from space with a hand attached? Somebody who is an idiot without an imagination filled in some gaps somewhere along the way.

Here's what I am thinking:

The movie opens with a flashback to TESB, as the saber falls, and someone finds it. Then fast forward to "present day."

Nope. Not gonna happen. Opening with a flashback? What kind of storyteller can't tell a simple self-contained story?

TFA will stand on its own. It'll be more like A New Hope than any other of the films so far. It's not going to be an EU remix.

Basically, Choc, your theory for the plot is definitely wrong. It doesn't even mesh with the bits of plot revealed in the trailers and ads.

Nope. Not gonna happen. Opening with a flashback? What kind of storyteller can't tell a simple self-contained story?

I agree with you that there won't be flashbacks but this is a very odd rationale. Some of the best movies ever made invoked flashbacks. What kind storyteller can't tell a story without flashbacks? Um the mofo who made Godfather 2? I could list more but come on.

Not disagreeing on the main point, but does Godfather really even count as flashbacks or just two concurrently told stories in different times? Or is there a difference?

Godfather had parallel plots running in different time periods. Unless TFA is going to be recut to intersperse ESB story into it to "explain" the lost lightsaber of Anakin Skywalker, having a flashback is just telling the audience that they should've seen a movie from 35 years ago before seeing this one. Who does that?

Logistically flashbacks make no sense. Every Star Wars movie stars with a crawl. The crawl sets the scene for what's JUST happened. You can't do that, give us ten minutes, then flash forward 30+ years.

I'd argue the framing and point of view of Star Wars is such that flashbacks in general won't work-- but I also used to say that about dream sequences and subjective camera work-- but those rules were tossed.

The people arguing about Godfather 2 had flashbacks, did you guys ever watch the movie to the end??

Also, the movie won't start with a flashback but I do think there will be one. I don't think it is that much of a departure from stuff we saw in the OT. I mean we have the scene were Obi Wan tells Luke about his father, is it that much different if they have something similar but show what is being told rather than just have a character say it?

Basically I think Han will take them to Maz because he is going to recognize Luke's saber and think "why is someone trying to give this to Rey?" They see Maz and she basically tells the backstory of how Rey ended up on Jakku. Now maybe they won't actually flash back and they will just have Maz tell the story, but I think they may actually flashback to it instead. In reality it doesn't really make a huge difference in the story.

• 4 weeks later...

This is just total speculation based on one line from a tv spot but here goes:

In one of the tv spots we hear Snoke say something like "this will be your greatest challenge". Now he could be talking to anyone, but for this purpose let's assume it's Kylo. It seems odd that he would say this when talking about like Han, Finn and Rey. An old pilot, a deserter and a scavenger. So what I'm getting at is could Luke be coming into the story a bit earlier than most expect and this is the challenge Snoke is talking about?

Ofcourse it could mean anything or it could mean Luke but be said in one of the last few scenes after the climax when setting up the next movie.

I think it speaks to a more general point-- in that Kyo isn't exactly Darth Vader. I get the impression that he's sloppy, reckless, and still learning to control the dark side. It's a fun progression if he grows along with Rey/Finn over the next couple of movies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.