UNCONFIRMED Star Wars news

Driver

Yeah, that's the part I don't really get. His "origin" was already seen. We've seen that he's been raised (and that he's been trained) by his bounty hunter daddy. We've seen his "turning point" when said daddy lost his head in front of him. I'm fully on board for a Boba Fett movie in general, but the devil's in the details.

I thought the same thing. We know pretty much everything about how Boba Fett came to be the badass in the original Trilogy, and much of it comes from the prequels and The Clone Wars, which are considered canon by Disney. What more do we need to know about his past? Unless Disney is simply capitalizing on prequel hate despite their canon rules, which I wouldn't put passed them. It's already been confirmed that Abrams is showing a dead Jar Jar in the new movie.

This is why I think a film about what Fett did after escaping the Sarlacc would be more interesting.

If Fett and Solo have any kind of history, I wouldn't mind seeing a story about that. Or maybe just some random bounty mission.

But the main appeal of Fett is the mystery. A Fett film would take some of that away. Why can't we just get a Hammerhead film?!

Here's what I want:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly remade in the Star Wars universe, fully set on Tattooine. Obi-Wan is the good, Fett is the bad, Cad Bane is the ugly.

I would watch the fuck out of that. SOMBODY GIVE THIS MAN THE JOB

There was a rumour that Lawrence Kasdan had pitched the Boba Fett movie that changes his origin (while still inline with continuity). Might not be true since apparently the source was Latino Review, but it did make the idea of a Fett spin off a bit more appealing.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/01/21/boba-fett-spin-off-to-alter-his-character

If it's true and they went that route, wouldn't be too far off a Star Wars version of the Good, Bad & Ugly.

And sorry for posting an IGN link....first one that came up

I don't get what makes Boba Fett a badass in the OT. I mean when he finally fights in ROTJ he is essentially useless and pathetic.

Nothing really makes him a badass in the actual films. Before ESB's release, LFL pumped out much material to build the character, but in ESB, its Vader who runs the entire show, including Solo's capture. He does not take one step without Vader's approval. When it was time for him to shine on his own in ROTJ, I will not go into the Solo accident, but Luke makes short work of Fett's rifle without so mauch as a blink--pretty much disrespecting Fett's reputation.

So yeah, aside from being a single purpose character in ESB, he was not the badass of action figure backing card descriptions, comics and novels.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, Boba Fett's rep of badassery was largely built on spring-loaded rocket action figures.

Even Jango Fett was sort of a punk. He was a good pilot, but AOTC didn't display him as being much of a badass, either. Obi Wan kicked his ass, and Mace beheaded him.

And he used a dart that could only be traced to his hideout to kill somebody he sublet his own job to. He's an idiot.

I'll admit to being a Boba Fett fan-- though I do maintain he was killed in the Sarlaac end of story. I just always thought he was cool as a kid-- especially since before the Eu his backstory kept changing, he was totally a man of mystery. Add that to cool space armor, jet pack-- he was just bad ass when I was a kid so I always liked him.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Boba is cool as a background character. But he doesn't need a movie. That said, I would still see it.

I didn't feel like starting a new thread for this but it's something I've been wondering about and that is "whose story is this?"

We know that when Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney he sold them stories for the sequel trilogy. I was under the impression that Arndt was hired to write a script from these treatments and in fact did so. We know obviously that Arndt was relieved of his duties and Abrams and Kasdan took over writing. Now did they take Arndt's script and throw it in the trashbin and start all over? Did they tweak what he wrote? If they got rid of everything Lucas did does that mean Abrams and/or Kasdan have plotted out the rest of the trilogy? It seems impossible to me that they got rid of Lucas/Arndt's story in totality and then just wrote TFA without knowing in a basic way at least was going to happen in Episodes 8 and 9? We also know that Lucas has stated that they aren't using his story? Does this mean they aren't using it any form or have changed it some?

What made me decide to bring this up now is the following excerpts from the Vanity Fair article:http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/05/star-wars-vanity-fair-the-force-awakens/392669/

All it really says is that Lucas planned on making the sequels focus on teenagers and that Disney was worried about that. But I mean was he planning on making it about 13 year olds? 18 year olds? There is a big difference. In fact Ridley and Boyega could both pass for their late teens easily. Would it really be a big change to the movie if Lucas intended on 16 year old leads and Abrams changed them to Ridley and Boyega? Not really.

My basic questions are this:

1-How much, if any, of Lucas ideas are in these movies?

2-If the answer to that is "little or none" then whose story are they using for the trilogy as a whole, including 8 and 9?

Anyone with any actual answers or any guesses please respond.

Every indication from the teasers and more solid rumors seem to be that the OT cast is here, but in supporting roles, and that the story belongs to Daisy, John and Oscar with Adam Driver being the villain. Much like the PT leads became supporting roles for the OT cast.

I think this makes most sense as it's the best of both worlds. I don't think a movie just starring the OT would be the right feel, at worst it would feel forced. A movie with an all-new cast and no connection to the OT might work, but Star Wars without the OT cast was the PT, and after that I don't know if people would trust it.

They are very smart to mix old and new because it makes most everyone happy across their key demos.

As for who wrote what-- there were all sorts of rumors, but we aren't going to know for awhile.

Lucas has said they aren't using any of his ideas. (which is probably good)

The specifically shit-canned the EU so they aren't using any of that material.

Arndt has publicly said that he got the ball rolling for them and had to move on to other things. Lucasfilm backed this up saying he laid the groundwork. This is actually pretty standard Hollywood-- Marvel does it for all their movies. You get somebody not super famous who knows the lore to do a solid first draft, then bring in an auteur writer/director and his people to revise and develop it.

But there are also rumors that Arndt's draft was mired in EU stuff and no one liked it. Also, Josh Trank publicly said IT WAS SO FUN DEVELOPING THIS BUT I EED TO DO X when everyone pretty much says he was fired for being a douche-cannon.

The only way we'll know for sure is if Arndt's version of the script ends up online like other early drafts have.

How he's credited will also be a clue.

If Arndt gets a story credit and Abrams and Kasdan share a written by credit, then it's likely Arndt is being paid a kindness and hardly anything is left of his script. If it looks like this:

Written By:

Michael Arndt

and

JJ Abrams

&

Lawrence Kasdan

...that means a lot of his material is there. An "and" credit means you were the first writer on a project, but rewritten, an ampersand between two names indicates a writing team. So if it is this:

Written By:

Michael Arndt

&

JJ Abrams

&

Lawrence Kasdan

That means they are using significant material from his version to the point that he is considered an equal writer. If his name isn't there at all then they aren't using a thing and they don't like him. The WGA favors first writers, so my prediction is a story by credit.

I'm kinda more thinking about the trilogy as a whole. I mean I can't believe that TFA is being made in a vacuum without some idea of where the entire trilogy goes. So I guess my question is whose story is the trilogy?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Very interesting read in #495 Driver.

The more and more I read about who is involved, I am now if the opinion that Episodes 7-9 are going to be well executed (well done, well acted, awesome FX) movies, and the only question for me at this point is the target audience (IE is a fan like me targeted at all, is the focus on younger generations only, is it a mix?). And having the OT cast in the background, rather than as the focus, is the right move. With Lucas saying they aren't using any of his ideas makes me wonder what Lucas had in mind. I know he gets dinged a lot for the PT, and really IMHO the PT had a good overall story, it's just I think it tried to do too much and had to wide a focus: basically I think GL is a good idea man, but should leave the more specific writing to others. Also, I am hoping Kasden did more than touch up writing, because I like the idea of the writer of TESB doing the newer movies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.