11 Artoo-Detoo is Imprisoned by the Jawas

53 Battle in Outer Space!

67 See-Threepio and Luke

74 Luke Skywalker on Tatooine

76 Artoo-Detoo on the Rebel Starship!

81 Weapons of the Death Star

88 Stormtroopers Guard Solo's Ship

96 The Droids on Tatooine

Worth pointing out, Ren doesn't have a Darth honorific...

It wouldn't make sense for Driver going bad to be a surprise if he shows up with the name Kylo Ren early in the film (in the Rebel pilot gear). So either, that's a "bad guy name," or it's pretty clear that he's "bad" from the get-go (and he goes undercover with the Rebels for some nefarious purpose). Or I suppose a third option: He isn't bad at all he just has a red lightsaber and looks really villainous.

Or it's someone else entirely, why are you/we chumps so convinced Driver is a bad guy again?

I think it's Domhnall Gleeson.

Ren and Rey trained with Luke for a short while. Luke and Ren go on a trip/mission whatever and go missing. Rey starts the search at their last know location, Tatooine. Later Luke is found injured, Ren is presumed dead, Luke regains sense enough to say even he thinks Ren is dead but it's hard see. Leia wisely suggests alive or dead Ren is a loose end that must be unraveled. Immediately thereafter Ren reveals himself anyway, Luke goes into denial for a moment while mumbling how blind he was, Leia picks injured Luke up with the force then with one hand flick sends him floating into the rescue ship, with the other hand she sends out a force lightning bolt at Ren. Rey stands and ignites her lightsaber to help but is conflicted... as she is now facing down her own family.

Also Max will be Jek-14.

:-D

It wouldn't make sense for Driver going bad to be a surprise if he shows up with the name Kylo Ren early in the film (in the Rebel pilot gear). So either, that's a "bad guy name," or it's pretty clear that he's "bad" from the get-go (and he goes undercover with the Rebels for some nefarious purpose). Or I suppose a third option: He isn't bad at all he just has a red lightsaber and looks really villainous.

Or it's someone else entirely, why are you/we chumps so convinced Driver is a bad guy again?

Pisses me off! I wanted to be the one bring up that the new villain might not even be a Darth. I've been thinking about I all day.

But Lucas1138, has it occurred to you maybe Kylo Ren (if it's Driver) is his real name, when he was good and even when he turned bad. It was just Kylo Ren, good then bad?

EDIT: Oh, okay. I see where I read your post wrong. I don't think it needs to be a surprise that he turns bad, though.

For the record, when the probe droid went through re-entry it was in a pod and it caught aflame. PROOF SCIENCE EXISTS IN STAR WARS.

I was going to post that too, but I think he was referring to the X- and Y-Wing plug-ins.

But I'm pretty sure they deploy a sun bonnet from one of their top compartments upon re-entry.

• 2 weeks later...

What if the lines are blurred. Maybe th Alliance isn't exactly good or exactly evil. Maybe they've gone too far in their tactics with defeating the Empire. Maybe this is why Luke left?

Could Ren and possibly Andy Serkisc character be antagonists but not really bad guys?

Could the Empire be a one off villain? In that they need an enemy for this movie while they establish the new antagonists. So why not make it the last remnants of the Empire.

Lucas always told stories as fairy tales, simple good-vs-evil stories. Will JJ retain the same policy? We know that Episode VII will be a straight-forward adventure prompted by the search for Spock Luke. But Episodes VIII and IX will probably build off what is set up in TFA. So new antagonists seem unlikely to me. If the Empire hasn't fallen in the thirty years since ROTJ, then falling in the next movie isn't likely.

Fantasy. No scientific ground / explanation required.

No, but once the story establishes rules, it needs to stick to those rules. Fantasy can't add elements randomly without consequences. If people need ships in SW to get from planet to planet, then there are implications for that need. One of those implications is that people can't teleport from one planet to another. If that started to happen, the storytellers can't just say "Hey, it's a fantasy. Let's say the force did it!" Another implication is that travel through an atmosphere requires technology to safely land. Without a hull designed to protect against destructive atmospheric reentry, or shields of some sort, it follows that lightsabers must be destroyed by reentry.

Bottom line, I'm saying that if the lightsaber-falling-to-Tatooine rumor is true, I'll be kicked out of the story experience momentarily, and therefore take less enjoyment from the story overall. However, I'll grant that weird things survive reentry in real life. Lots of lightsaber-sized debris was found after Columbia was destroyed on reentry in 2003. But that debris was shielded by other parts of the craft during reentry. I don't need an out-and-out explanation in dialogue for the survival, but some kind of hint or clue that the lightsaber was inside something before it crashed would be welcome.

Then the takeaway is that you are setting yourself up to not immerse yourself in the unabashedly fairy tale nature of the film, as you will sit there with the expectation of a problem generated--of all places--on a message board.

Yeah you are way overthinking and overanalyzing this. You don't need to explain what star wars is, we know it's sci-fantasy. Anyone posting here is pretty versed in the lore.

Your pathological need to argue into the ground anyone who disagrees with you has lost sight of the fact you are arguing in favor of something so absurd that no one would buy it, physics or not.

• 3 months later...

Read 2 rumors today thought could be ripe for discussion.

First is some backstory on Max Von Sydow's character. It seems that possibly Jakku was a completely deserted planet until that Star Destroyer crash and then first inhabitants were the crew of that Star Destroyer. Von Sydow was the captain of the ship. The Empire never sent help so the crew was completely stranded there. This ofcourse made Von Sydow pissed at the Empire and why he is working against them now.

I think this could certainly be true, although I don't know if they will spend much time discussing it in the movie. Could be something brought up in outside media and in the movie he is just some guy living on Jakku helping the Resistance.

Secondly and probably more interesting is something on Kylo Ren. The rumor says that Ren is actually claiming to be Darth Vader, the actual guy who survived the destruction of the Death Star. He isn't Darth Vader, just claiming to be. You'd have to wonder why anyone would believe him, but I suppose if he shows up and says he is Vader and the guy next to you disputes this and then Ren chokes him to death with the Force, you may be inclined to stop dissenting and just believe he is Vader.

This would answer one question I had which is "how did Kylo Ren become involved with The First Order?". Well if people believe he is Vader, then that makes sense. Other questions though are did he just show up years later claiming to be Vader? I'm guessing that would be the case.

Either way, take it with a grain of salt but I think both rumors are at least somehow interesting and plausible.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.