UNCONFIRMED Star Wars news

Driver

Maybe Driver wears a mask, but is not a cyborg. Maybe Andy Serkis' character is in no way a cyborg. Maybe the only part-cyborg character is MVS's character. I believe the cross-saber villain is Driver, but could be Serkis.

Maybe Serkis' character wears a black hood. That would leave us with 3 black hooded villains, which isn't so far-fetched.

MVS's character can't be Anakin because we all saw his neck get broken in Family Guy's It's A Trap!

I have a theory.

Anakin Skywalker.

JJ Abrams has already shown us he wants to bring back everything he can from the OT. No one would have questioned a new villain, but he has made sure to make the Empire still alive and kicking. He wants to celebrate the OT so is it really that out there to say that Luke burned the suit and Anakin went into hiding?

Again, I don't love the idea-- but I really think it is possible

All plausible, save for the Anakin force-ghost at the end of ROTJ. How would JJ wave that fact away?

Anakin's Ghost

If not for that then maybe I could see it, not like it even then but see it.

Maybe Max is Lobot. :-D

I keep wanting him to be a non-force user for some reason. Just have him be an academic of that "religion". If he has to be a force user maybe it would be neat to have him be that kid that looks like he dies while defending Bail Organa in Epi3. There would be a heck of a story path there, brutally wounded padawan forced into hiding no one to trust no one to teach him, just making his way in the galaxy.

Good theory driver! The more I think on it the more I like it. Particularly if Anakin is so uber wise now from being both light and dark he no longer feels a pull to either extremity. Kind of like Kriea in KOTOR2. Maybe he never went back to the light in ROTJ, maybe he just didn't want the emperor to kill his son and it was a sort of personal victory of his. I dunno.. Not articulating too well today.. But I like the idea of Sydow being a cyborg Anakin. Dunno how you'd explain the force ghost thing in ROTJ tho

Max is Cliegg Lars, the cyborg part is a replacement leg and other organs to keep living. He left the homestead to Owen after the events in Episode 2... deciding to live in a state of cyborged longevity / purgatory. He wanders the wastes of Tatooine hunting the hunters, forever protecting the settlers from the shadows of Two Suns, guilted with the memory of his cowardice. As time spawned an Empire he stopped being a man, he became a whisper, It's presence always felt but not seen. The youth of Toshi Station would speak in hushed tones about the grisly stalemated War of Three; The Raiders, the Crazy Old Wizard and the Thing With No Name. When decades reshape the dunes of Tatoonie It notices and is noticed by a young girl who reminds the long forgotten man of his shame, of his beloved Shmi.

The way things are going in Star wars canon, the mystery cyborg will probably turn out to be Count Dooku's head which, too evil to die, sprouted spider legs, crawled into an escape pod and lived on a junkyard planet for fifty years. Finally he cobbles together a robot body and sets out to get revenge, only to find out that everyone he hates is dead. So he goes to Tatooine and goes on a bender.

Let's look at the cyborg issue another way.

Who would need artificial help to live on a desert planet and no one would suspect of being in league with the Imperials?

:trap:

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't know, man. Ponda "Walrus-man" Baba has a pretty justifiable grudge, too. I'd like to see him come back with a robot arm and a score to settle with Luke.

You are talking about Star Wars, not an episode of Nova. Magic (the Force) is the drive of the entire series, so any real world plausibility goes out the window--sci-tech trappings in favor of fanciful, larger concepts. What else is SW about?

Really, If you can accept a two-foot frog using telekinesis while somersaulting with a laser sword...perfect rapid-growth clone soldiers...the Falcon banking like the F-15E Strike Eagle and/or performing barrel rolls in space, then you can accept a magic sword surviving reentry.

I'm just going to let SW7 unfold as whatever it has to be to successfully tell the fantasy story. Aside from that, i'm hoping the leads play into their age and not behave like they're trying to remember how they last played the characters in 1982.

We all have limits to our suspension of disbelief. Even you, Justus, would balk eventually at something. Don't get haughty and brag how you'll just "let SW7 unfold as whatever it has to be." Storytellers can't add elements endlessly and unreasonably and just expect the audience to accept everything. Eventually our suspension of disbelief fails. Yes, I can accept the existence of the mystical "force" in Star Wars, and the advanced technologies like lightsabers and clones, and even the unnecessary barrel rolls of spaceships and sound in space. But just because we accept those elements, it does not follow that any and all elements must be accepted. Personally, my suspension of disbelief ends at the idea of a lightsaber surviving reentry into a planetary atmosphere. Unless somehow the ability of lightsabers to survive multi-thousand degree temperatures is a plot point, I see no reason for the inclusion of such an incident in the story. Frankly, I don't think the lightsaber surviving reentry is a real detail from the film, anyway, making the discussion moot until the film is released. The larger point raised, though, is that just because I accepted five impossible things already doesn't mean that I must accept a sixth.

It is not haughty to let it go, as SW is just a fantasy. When watching this in 1977, not for a moment did I expect the film--or its sequels to be 2001, Star Trek, or anything remotely playing in the sandbox of scientific plausibility, just as I did not expect films to justify why a human-looking alien can gain superpowers from the influence of our sun, or why Thor exists at all.

Fantasy. No scientific ground / explanation required.

Funny thing is, those complaling about the lightsaber issue should be the first to want the film to avoid real world explanations, as SW screws up royally when attempted. How can anyone forget how the moment SW tried to shoehorn a science-based explanaton into the Prequels--namely midichlorians--that the notion was blasted by many for not only making no sense, but robbing the fantasy--literally--of its magic, by trying to apply a half assed biological reason for Force sensitivity. It was unnecessary in a story about a virgin birth of a boy who will fulfill a prophecy.

You say:

Personally, my suspension of disbelief ends at the idea of a lightsaber surviving reentry into a planetary atmosphere. Unless somehow the ability of lightsabers to survive multi-thousand degree temperatures is a plot point

I assume you accept the idea of a droid also surviving reentry into a planetary atmosphere without any sort of marks, yet the ships all show such reentry markings? Or the many outright design flaws / abiliities of a TIE fighter?

I find it odd to accept so much of the implausible--save for one, which is not the greatest offender in the SW films.

Bottom line: are you saying the lightsaber reentry issue--without any explanation--will be the deal breaker for you?

Fantasy. No scientific ground / explanation required.

No, but once the story establishes rules, it needs to stick to those rules. Fantasy can't add elements randomly without consequences. If people need ships in SW to get from planet to planet, then there are implications for that need. One of those implications is that people can't teleport from one planet to another. If that started to happen, the storytellers can't just say "Hey, it's a fantasy. Let's say the force did it!" Another implication is that travel through an atmosphere requires technology to safely land. Without a hull designed to protect against destructive atmospheric reentry, or shields of some sort, it follows that lightsabers must be destroyed by reentry.

Bottom line, I'm saying that if the lightsaber-falling-to-Tatooine rumor is true, I'll be kicked out of the story experience momentarily, and therefore take less enjoyment from the story overall. However, I'll grant that weird things survive reentry in real life. Lots of lightsaber-sized debris was found after Columbia was destroyed on reentry in 2003. But that debris was shielded by other parts of the craft during reentry. I don't need an out-and-out explanation in dialogue for the survival, but some kind of hint or clue that the lightsaber was inside something before it crashed would be welcome.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.