UNCONFIRMED Star Wars news

Driver

From Joseph Gordon Levitt's AMA:

Rian has become one of my dearest friends, so I'm biased, but I feel enormously privileged to have worked on the first movie of a filmmaker who, I feel, is as great as any of our generation. PS – Episode 8 & 9 are going to be… I can't even say how good I think they're gonna be…

Rumor: Max von Cyborg is a post-Sarlaac Boba Fett.

Discuss.

While I don't think that there will be many references or acknowledgements to the PT, I also don't think that they would do any major retconning like that. Even though it would retcon a retcon, we know Boba was a clone of Jango, who is not white.

But it's a cool idea.

I want to head the lightsaber rumor that's going around off at the pass. The tiny quiet lightsaber sound at the end of the teaser is now considered a hint that the stupid rumor about Luke's saber floating in space is true.

This is a MSM scoop. This is like some tool on Fox news thinking he has some big scoop because he just discovered Han and Leia had kids in a book.

Maybe it's cause I am a sound nerd— but this bugs me. But that saber sound is not unique to Luke. In the OT, Anakin's (Luke's) and Obi-Wan's saber made this noise, Vader's had a different one. Luke's green saber had a different noise. In TPM and AOTC the convention was the same— Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's sabers had the classic turn on sound, and Maul's was the same as Vader's. In ROTS, (coincidentally when Ben Burt was less involved) the saber sounds started varying in consistency and amongst themselves. The DVD special editions made the problem worse in the sound remixes by replacing the saber sounds somewhat randomly. The Anakin/Luke saber sounds different in the duel with Vader on Bespin than it does earlier in the Wampa cave. There was no longer any consistency forcing the fanspalanation about how fast it is turned on, how much energy it has etc.
TL;DR version: Ben Burt made a sonic universe where things were consistent and in his absence things went to crap.
All THAT said— the saber noise in the trailer being a clue seems silly to me. It's a classic SW sound. It was also used in a similar fashion for the subtitles in at least a couple of the prequel trailers. Also, in the TPM trailer we got Darth Vader quietly breathing in the end, and he wasn't even in the movie.
I'M MAD OBVIOUSLY

Guest El Chalupacabra

I won't be satisfied until we get light-bucklers, light-shields, light-morning stars, light-battle axes, and light-tridents.

I'm okay with Luke's Bespin lightsaber being a plot point, as something the scavengers come upon or whatever. It seems kind of hokey, but whatever, it's probably something I could live with.

Things that would make that not okay:

1. Luke's 30+ year old dismembered hand accompanying said lightsaber

2. Lightsaber floating through space and making it to a planet's surface without disintegrating without a really good explanation for how that happened.

2. Lightsaber floating through space and making it to a planet's surface without disintegrating without a really good explanation for how that happened.

#2 - does it need a good explanation? This is Star Wars, where you hear ships flying by in space, impossible gravity wells in the Falcon's laser turret section, and carbon freezing. At this point in SW history, plausibility is something for geeks to haggle over in SW tech manuals, not on film.

Yes. It would need a good explanation.

There are sounds in space because it would make for really weird and kinda boring space action sequences for the audience if everything was silent.

The Falcon turrets work the way they do because oopsie that doesn't make sense at all, but who cares.

Carbon freezing works because technology.

A tiny metal lightsaber surviving atmospheric re-entry intact (which, uh, how did it escape the gas planet of Bespin anyway?) would need a very good explanation.

If the reddit rumors are true I can see where the rumor becomes more realistic. When we first hear it, it was Luke's hand, hanging on to it, falling to another planet. Now it's that it is part of a collection of old Jedi shit watched over by Sydow's character. Both rumors say it inspires the young heroes to look for Luke. It's like whomever went with the first rumor only knew part of the story and made up (some really really stupid) stuff to fill in the gaps.

#2 - does it need a good explanation? This is Star Wars, where you hear ships flying by in space, impossible gravity wells in the Falcon's laser turret section, and carbon freezing. At this point in SW history, plausibility is something for geeks to haggle over in SW tech manuals, not on film.

Are you arguing in favor for something that stupid or just arguing because you like to? You tend to hate any and all new ideas. I'd be surprised if this one somehow passed your high standards.

Couldn't the light sabre just like you know be made of a metal that can't withstand re-entry? Not that I think the rumor is true. I think the opening scene will be of a Star Destroyer releasing a smaller vessel over Tatooine that Boyegas character is on, we then follow that vessel to the planet where we see that shot of the troopers getting ready to exit the vessel.

Pure speculation: van sydows character is Syfo-Dyas.

Makes sense, has some kind of connection to the Sith. Is a prequel era character, as the guy on 4chan said. Was thought dead by the Jedi and he seems to have serious injuries that make him part cyborg.

I think it would be a million times cooler than Boba Fett

Are you arguing in favor for something that stupid or just arguing because you like to? You tend to hate any and all new ideas. I'd be surprised if this one somehow passed your high standards.

Stop exaggerating as you tend to. The point is that if you are looking for even a hint of plausibility in a SW film, you are watching the wrong series. Seriously--you mean people can accept rapid cloning on demand, Jedi falling endless stories and safely landing on a flying vehicle, and a cyborg with a hacking cough (what the hell for), but a lightsaber hilt surviving re-entry is a problem?

This is not even the pseudo-science of Star Trek. It is SW.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.