UNCONFIRMED Star Wars news

Driver

I'm not down with soccer ball droid effectively replacing r2d2. Hopefully the details on that are just shady, but if this report it to be believed, then it's not a background droid like I thought.

Also nicely explains the stupid crossbar on the lightsaber.

If I've learned anything from Star Wars Message boards in the last 15 years, it's that you can't trust a single damn report until you either see it on screen or have it spelled out for you in soundtrack titles.

What's the consensus on the "Making Star Wars" site? Is there one? I've just spent the last 20 minutes reading through various reports on there (while still trying to avoid things labeled like "Episode VII's I am Your Father Type Moment," which omg I want to read that so bad).

I've seen all the concept art at one point or another, a lot of the speculation weaves a pretty convincing tale.

I call bullshit.

Han is around but Darklighter owns the Falcon? Leia's and Han's daughter is around and she doesn't inherit the Falcon?! Leia is around and her daughter is just homeless or whatever? Luke isn't around and has abandoned the thing that meant most to him... family... including a force sens niece?! Luke trained others but ignored his own blood?! Luke is scared of his growing power? Who is he Elsa?! A thirty year war of attrition is longer than the Emperor's coup of the Republic by more than a decade!

As for that "I am your father." Spoiler... Infinite Bullshit.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Imperial Remnant

alien Sith exempt from the Rule of Two.

All you need to see to be sure this is fan wank material.

Imperial Remnant is an EU term.

Rule of Two? The last two sith were killed off in ROTJ. Why would any new sith follow a model that obviously didn't work?

That's a tenuous non-connection at best, imo. My dad used the term imperial remnant the other day when he saw the stormtroopers in the trailer, he's never picked up a star wars book in his life.

Plus, if some star wars nerd is describing basic plot points to other Star wars nerds, I'd imagine it's pretty likely he'd use terms everyone is familiar with, regardless of if they were in the EU or not.

I've always found it damning. Chalupa hit exactly what I'm talking about-- somebody combines all the bits and pieces we've seen logically and could be mostly right-- but they fill the gaps with EU details and that is always the downfall of it for me. ESPECIALLY when the EU was obliterated for the very reason that they didn't want it in their way.

I promise you, movies are not made for uberfans. They are made for general audiences and potential new fans. Uberfans are a given to buy a ticket. Abrams, like vintage Lucas, makes movies where everything you need to know is onscreen, not buried in a book or video game. I promise you, the people making this don't give a damn about the finer points of what makes a SITH.

Especially after The PT did such a terrible job of over-explaining its lore.

I agree, unless it's a couple of throw away lines intended to try to retcon some of the PT junk. I could see that as an attempt to placate uberfans without going into too much detail. I don't know how it would work, but I'm sure it could.

I've always found it damning. Chalupa hit exactly what I'm talking about-- somebody combines all the bits and pieces we've seen logically and could be mostly right-- but they fill the gaps with EU details and that is always the downfall of it for me. ESPECIALLY when the EU was obliterated for the very reason that they didn't want it in their way.

I promise you, the people making this don't give a damn about the finer points of what makes a SITH.

:shrug: If it's a "fill in the gaps" thing, who cares? I guess that's how I feel. If this person calls it the imperial remnant and that's not the name J.J. et al uses, then so what? I don't see what was so "EU" about the stuff above.

Given that the term (imperial remnant) appeared once, and wasn't given any great import, I don't really see how it can be chalked up in the same category as "Luke's clone wife Grand Admiral Thraaaaawn," or if it had included any other details from the EU. Remnants of the empire. Imperial remnant.

As far as the "finer points of what makes a sith," I don't get where that comes from either. It mentioned that the character wasn't included in the "rule of two," which to me all that means is that he wasn't involved in the Plageuis/Palpatine/Maul/Dooku/Vader line.

I think this is a case where being a supernerdfan leads to overthinking. They were throwaway lines. No sense ascribing more importance to them than necessary. And I'm not even vouching for the veracity of the leak, it's just going to take more than that to convince me it's definitely fake (and even more to convince me it's definitely real).

If there's a damning part above, to me, it's the explicit mention of "99.9% of the EU is disregarded." Cool, neat, we already knew that. But again, if this is a supernerdfan talking to other supernerdfans, that's probably a thing that would be explicitly stated, so whatever.

Quasi-Related:

How stupid did the "Rule of Two" become? Best I can tell that comes from Yoda's "Always two, there are. A master, and an apprentice," right? Even as a freakin' 9 year old the simplest explanation for that was simply "where there's one sith, there's two," not "THERE ARE ONLY EVER TWO SITH!" God star wars is dumb sometimes.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I agree, unless it's a couple of throw away lines intended to try to retcon some of the PT junk. I could see that as an attempt to placate uberfans without going into too much detail. I don't know how it would work, but I'm sure it could.

Maybe, however, I have a feeling Ep 7 will just do a huge blanket retcon in saying the Force changed somehow, rendering the "PT rules" about the Force, jedi, and sith, irrelevant.

If buy that simply because Luke was the only one left and he broke the rules. He started training as an adult, he grew in skill and power on his own, he tapped into the dark side but turned away--

I'm pretty sure the PT will be ignored by and large. We may see some details from the era, and it's not invalidated, but I'm sure any references to the PT will be similar to the OT.

In fact, casting rumors from Twitter today use the term Padawan, which makes me doubt their legitimacy.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Like maybe it was.... awakened?

Eh, I guess. I was meaning more a fundamental way, at its core. Something that brings back the mystery and mystic nature of the force, more in line with the OT, I am guessing (or hoping). But I am sure whatever the explanation is, it won't involve midichlorians.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.