UNCONFIRMED Star Wars news

Driver

What if Leia is the bad guy?

Think about it, Luke attempts to train Leia in the force, she learns some. However she is still a political leader. Now though she has powers, powers to see th future. So when rival politicians make decisions against Leia she knows they are wrong, because she can see th future. She starts using her powers to gain political power herself. She starts to see anyone who disagrees with her as an enemy. She starts a French Revolution style reign of terror.

I could see something like this being enough to force Luke away, I means he's already had to kill his dad. Maybe he just couldn't do it again with his sister. It also explains why Han seems to be out there to go on an adventure wih Daisy Ridleys character. It also explains why there seems to be little or no rumors/info about Leias role in the movie.

That could work. Leia, being trained in the force by Luke, becomes increasingly Machiavellian, misusing her powers either for political maneuvering or to neutralize some outside threat, justified by what she sees as the greater good, but gains dark side points. Luke, being the paragon of morality, tries to straighten her out, winning light side points. Their opposing viewpoints clash, thus setting up the struggle.

Getting back to Luke's possible exile, maybe it's a political thing. I can see whoever comes into power after ROTJ, be it one person or several regional leaders, being wary of Luke because of his power. The attitude could be "hey thanks for saving the galaxy, but you've got the power to be the next Emperor so please go away." I can see the new leadership making things so uncomfortable for Luke that he decides to just remove himself from public life.

It could certainly be like this, but when thinking about this some more right now, I could also see them potentially pulling the exact opposite of this, too, with the various governing factions all trying their damndest to recruit Luke to their cause. This could possibly even lead to some terrible, casualty-causing accidents (or non-accidents), leading Luke to realize that he was best off removing himself from the conversation. Maybe he would keep in touch with one or two people, but otherwise nobody else. This would make his exile very Ender-like, of course, but they could go down this type of route, too.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Is it me, or does there seem to be a deafening lack of rumors, let alone confirmed info, compared to TPM 399 days prior to release?

I don't remember what was out there at that time- I was pretty much avoiding all spoilers. I've been better lately, but I've read my fair share from the rumor mill. I don't find (most of) that stuff to be particularly likely anyway.

Re: Rumors and such, MJS made a good point on the tweeter. Lucasfilm waited until the day of the title release to buy a domain so that it wouldn't leak. That doesn't really sound like a company that is leaking production spoilers like a sieve.

Getting back to Luke's possible exile, maybe it's a political thing. I can see whoever comes into power after ROTJ, be it one person or several regional leaders, being wary of Luke because of his power. The attitude could be "hey thanks for saving the galaxy, but you've got the power to be the next Emperor so please go away." I can see the new leadership making things so uncomfortable for Luke that he decides to just remove himself from public life.

It could certainly be like this, but when thinking about this some more right now, I could also see them potentially pulling the exact opposite of this, too, with the various governing factions all trying their damndest to recruit Luke to their cause. This could possibly even lead to some terrible, casualty-causing accidents (or non-accidents), leading Luke to realize that he was best off removing himself from the conversation. Maybe he would keep in touch with one or two people, but otherwise nobody else. This would make his exile very Ender-like, of course, but they could go down this type of route, too.

I can see that. Could be that one of the rival factions that helped force him into exile is on the verge of total power at the start of TFA. The head of this faction would obviously have a bad history with Luke, thus making him an interesting antagonist.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't remember what was out there at that time- I was pretty much avoiding all spoilers. I've been better lately, but I've read my fair share from the rumor mill. I don't find (most of) that stuff to be particularly likely anyway.

Re: Rumors and such, MJS made a good point on the tweeter. Lucasfilm waited until the day of the title release to buy a domain so that it wouldn't leak. That doesn't really sound like a company that is leaking production spoilers like a sieve.

Maybe it's just my faulty memory, but I seem to remember a LOT more rumors going on, prior to TPM, but then again I wasn't at nightly back then and I just browsing the web more. I was just curious to see if it seemed like less rumors were out there to anyone else.

Nightly came into existence when TPM was released, but the entire plot was out there on theforce.net and the like prior. Hell, weird al knew the plot and wrote his song based on spoilers, then paid to get into a charity screening to make sure it was accurate.

There are absolutely fewer rumors going on for TFA now then there ever was at any point during prequel production. I like it better and hate it so much more.

I can see that. Could be that one of the rival factions that helped force him into exile is on the verge of total power at the start of TFA. The head of this faction would obviously have a bad history with Luke, thus making him an interesting antagonist.

Oh yes, that could certainly be a nice way to go with it.

That said, we're pretty sure the villain is Roboty McMetalface as seen in leaked concept art.

UNLESS THAT'S LEIA HOLY CRAP

No we're not :p

*plugs fingers in ears*

I'd buy Leia turning dark before Luke (because she's way more like Anakin than Luke is), but she needs a specific moment to make her snap. If Alderaan didn't do it to her, I don't know what would.

I'd never seen that Leia is more like Anakin than Luke is comparison before. That's brilliant. And I think dead on.

That said, we're pretty sure the villain is Roboty McMetalface as seen in leaked concept art.

UNLESS THAT'S LEIA HOLY CRAP

No we're not :p

*plugs fingers in ears*

I'd buy Leia turning dark before Luke (because she's way more like Anakin than Luke is), but she needs a specific moment to make her snap. If Alderaan didn't do it to her, I don't know what would.

I'd never seen that Leia is more like Anakin than Luke is comparison before. That's brilliant. And I think dead on.

It's true! And Luke is like Padme; they both believed there was still good in Anakin until the very end.

Stating something that is ridiculous or a rumor from the past that was ridiculous then and looks even more so now has run its course, it's no longer funny and hasn't been for some time.

Actually it's quite relevant seeing as similar discussions prior to the release of TPM bore out those rumours.

Man, imagine if we had the community we had then.... but now. There would be a new thread every five minutes proclaiming the lastest rumour to be true!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.