UNCONFIRMED Star Wars news

Driver

Didn't see the original post by whomever brought it up, but Kevin J. Anderson was a cancer on the EU that I'm glad was removed early on.

As for overpowered Force users, Starkiller was presented as a wild Force wrecking ball with no sense of discipline, which was his one big flaw in comparison to the more molded Jedi (and Sith). It brought him dangerously close to the dark side countless times, even after renouncing it initially.

Getting back to Luke's possible exile, maybe it's a political thing. I can see whoever comes into power after ROTJ, be it one person or several regional leaders, being wary of Luke because of his power. The attitude could be "hey thanks for saving the galaxy, but you've got the power to be the next Emperor so please go away." I can see the new leadership making things so uncomfortable for Luke that he decides to just remove himself from public life.

Didn't see the original post by whomever brought it up, but Kevin J. Anderson was a cancer on the EU that I'm glad was removed early on.

The EU was born with terminal stage-7 garbage cancer regardless; Anderson is just one of its easiest targets.

He really cancered up the Dune prequels, too. I feel bad saying it, cause by all accounts he's managed to be a super nice, normal guy and wildly successful at the same time, so he's the kind of author I'd like to root for. But damn. So bad. So, so bad.

You're so edgy, Pong.

Getting back to Luke's possible exile, maybe it's a political thing. I can see whoever comes into power after ROTJ, be it one person or several regional leaders, being wary of Luke because of his power. The attitude could be "hey thanks for saving the galaxy, but you've got the power to be the next Emperor so please go away." I can see the new leadership making things so uncomfortable for Luke that he decides to just remove himself from public life.

I think this was kinda sorta the storyline (with regards to Luke/jedi) in the most recent series of books.

I don't see how that absolves the Jedi. It was the Jedi who were too stupid to see that Palpatine was a Sith. It was the Jedi who helped turn one of their own into a monster.

Seems to me that by the end of ROTJ most people would be sick of anything Jedi related, especially when it comes to the son of Darth fkn Vader.

How much of the general public would've even been aware that the emperor was a Force user? All they know is that Darth Vader is some evil Jedi, if they even knew that. That might've just been known within the military and maybe the Senate.

Really, they can go in any direction they want with that one. It was never fleshed out in the movies.

Fair enough about the public, but I'm sure that whatever government comes to power is going to know all about the sins of the Jedi Council, Palpatine being a Sith, and Luke being Vader's boy. Consequently I can see them being incredibly wary of Luke.

Look at what happened to Hitler's surviving family after WW2. They changed their name, migrated to America, and have been living anonymously ever since.

As far as the EU went, I hated the angle of them distrusting the Jedi because it only popped up 25 years or so after RotJ, which was after Luke had already re-established the Jedi and saved the galaxy a bunch of times. It didn't make any sense.

But when it comes to the movies, it also doesn't really make sense for them not to trust the Jedi, considering how big a role Luke had in the Rebellion and how sympathetic the Rebellion's leaders were to the Jedi. (Also the fact that Leia is a Force user.) Now they can of course create conflict with this, where there are some factions of the New Republic or whatever they call it who like the Jedi and some who don't. I can see the revelations about Palpatine and Vader popping up and it freaking people out. But whatever way they decide to go, I just hope they're consistent.

What if Leia is the bad guy?

Think about it, Luke attempts to train Leia in the force, she learns some. However she is still a political leader. Now though she has powers, powers to see th future. So when rival politicians make decisions against Leia she knows they are wrong, because she can see th future. She starts using her powers to gain political power herself. She starts to see anyone who disagrees with her as an enemy. She starts a French Revolution style reign of terror.

I could see something like this being enough to force Luke away, I means he's already had to kill his dad. Maybe he just couldn't do it again with his sister. It also explains why Han seems to be out there to go on an adventure wih Daisy Ridleys character. It also explains why there seems to be little or no rumors/info about Leias role in the movie.

With all respect to Carrie Fisher (who rocks), Leia was never that interesting to me. But suddenly, through emergency Choc Treatment, her character seems so, so... alive.

I'm intrigued.

On a gut level, I wouldn't want her to go full-on Dark Side, cuz despite her idealism, she's smarter and more mature than Anakin. I also don't think she'd lose herself like that -- too strong a sense of self (and we already saw that kind of consumption in Dune with Paul's little sis Alia).

But seeing her make "Dark Choices" for the good of the peeps, and break with Luke would definitely be fascinating.

I don't want to see Leia with any force powers.

It also explains why Han seems to be out there to go on an adventure wih Daisy Ridleys character. It also explains why there seems to be little or no rumors/info about Leias role in the movie.

I'm pretty sure Han is on an adventure because he doesn't want to be with Leia the Hutt.

I'd love it if Han and Leia split a long time ago, actually. I can't think of anything more boring than Han being a politician's wife.

Well partly based my post on the rumor that I never believed that the very end of the movie is the bad guy revealing himself to be Luke. Thought maybe the rumor is in the right church but the wrong pew and it was actually Leia. Then when I went with that thought certain things fell into place.

I'd kinda like if Leia excelled at the part of the force dealing with reading thoughts and seeing the future. This would make sense considering as a politician they would be more useful. Then maybe her and Hans son (adam drivers character) is more of the fighter, who Luke trained for a while from a very young age but eventually Leia co-opted his training and used him for her own purposes.

I don't want to see Leia with any force powers.

It also explains why Han seems to be out there to go on an adventure wih Daisy Ridleys character. It also explains why there seems to be little or no rumors/info about Leias role in the movie.

I'm pretty sure Han is on an adventure because he doesn't want to be with Leia the Hutt.

I'd love it if Han and Leia split a long time ago, actually. I can't think of anything more boring than Han being a politician's wife.

This. The only way this relationship has ever worked was with tension.

Also, loving this old timey discussion.

Like I said before, when I was a kid, Anderson's craziness had a wow factor that was appealing to me for a bit. The Jedi Academy books were also probably my first SW books after jumping from the far more horrid Glove of Darth Vader kids books. I'm not going to defend them at all, though. They aren't good books, but at least I was able to finish reading them, unlike anything written by Hambly or the Black Fleet Crisis.

I do miss the joking Jacen of the YJK series, though. :(

That said, we're pretty sure the villain is Roboty McMetalface as seen in leaked concept art.

UNLESS THAT'S LEIA HOLY CRAP

No we're not :p

*plugs fingers in ears*

I'd buy Leia turning dark before Luke (because she's way more like Anakin than Luke is), but she needs a specific moment to make her snap. If Alderaan didn't do it to her, I don't know what would.

I don't think it would need to be a snap moment, in fact it would be better if it wasn't. She learns the force but stays a politician. She can read minds, she can see the future consequences of present actions. She begins using this to her advantage, first in small ways to facilitate treaties and settle disputes between systems. Over time she uses it more and more and in more sinister ways. By the time Luke confronts her over it, it's too late.

Having said that, I really don't think it will be the case. However the more I roll it over in my head, the more I kinda wish it would be.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.