UNCONFIRMED Star Wars news

Driver

Agreed, Odine.

With a few notable exceptions, the EU was written by dummies, targeted to dummies. I don't care if the new movie does something that's already been seen in the EU, because the chances of it being done better are virtually guaranteed.

But honestly, Luke as a male stripper would be OK with me. As long as it is done well.

That was Choc, dude not me. But I agree with him too so, sure I'll take the credit.

I'd go so far to say I'd enjoy seeing Luke as a grumpy old man, almost cantankerous in disposition. So we're like "what happened to you man? You've changed!" He doesn't want nothin to do with no one or anything. Now get off his front lawn/patch of desert.

I guess I'm the only person who doesn't abide by the "anything is okay as long as it's done well" idea.

No, you are not alone. Lots of SW fans are dogmatic about how the films/television shows/books/toys/websites/etc. should be, sometimes to the point of sad hilarity. I don't think there is any other series of films as nit-picked. There is nothing unique about your position.

Any story can be well written. That still doesn't make it good.

Yes, there are plenty of stories that are well-written without being being in any way compelling or "good." If writing were simply a mechanical exercise, there'd be fewer frustrated writers out there begging people to read their stuff. Not every struggling author is a refresher creative writing course and/or understanding editor away from a big book deal -- there are plenty of people with chops who simply have nothing interesting to say.

But that's not the point.

I do not think it is realistic to expect Male Stripper Luke to be anything but ridiculous. After all, it is a ridiculous idea. But it is possible, however unlikely, that somebody, somewhere could manage to pull it off and make it work. If you are dogmatic about how things should be ("No organic web-shooters!" "Starbuck/Thor is a dude!" "Brienne and the Hound never fought!"), you're going to have problems regardless of the quality of the final product. If you are not dogmatic, you might enjoy it despite your expectation.

There are lots of film ideas I have considered ridiculous and stupid on paper; the vast majority retained their ridiculous and stupid nature when translated to film, but not always. I am always pleased to be proven wrong when that happens.

Theory for me would be that Luke is hiding from his Dark Side and that something happened to cause him to go into hiding. This may be why he is staying away from others. Someone must go looking for him for a reason. I am going to go out on a limb and say it's THE DARKSIDE of the FORCE that Awakens. Since the darkside died with Vader and the Palpatine that means Luke is the last Jedi with the darkside still inside him. Hence AWAKENS!!

It's going to be crazy Forcing all over the place. Like instead of "These are not the droids you're looking for" handwaving there'll be Force Mindswitch where Luke's mind temporarily goes into the target's brain and the target's mind is trapped in Luke's brain. There'll be Force Hyperspacetravel where Luke flies across star systems unassisted in under twelve parsecs. Force fire and force ice and lots of force lightning but also force thunder too. Instead of using the Force to jump high or whatever he'll just use the Force to move the entire planet down to where he is. And the Force will work on Hutts too now, Luke is going to use Force Shrink on so many hutts. Just shrink them down to nothing with the Force. Make em all small. Tearing blaster bolts from the air using Force Pull and and then using Force Timepush on the bolts so they hit the guys before they even pull the triggers. Force Bilocation, too, where Luke will be on two different planets at the same time. Form VIIIIIII of Lightsaber Combat where you manifest a half-dozen ghostly blue limbs and beat aliens to death. A lot of Force Resurrect too on those aliens once you beat them to death. Just a whole lotta Force all over everywhere all the time a hundred years.

ALL OF THIS IS CONFIRMED

I think it means that all the Force we've seen so far was just the Force taking a nap so once it wakes up properly that's an excuse for them to have any new kind of superpowers they want in the new trilogy.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true, for Luke at least.

It has to be, right? They need some sort of in-narrative excuse for the extra-narrative demand for a huge level of SFX display - kind of like how The Force Unleashed videogames deliberately created a near-psychopathic out-of-control protagonist to justify the huge differences in what he/we could do with the force versus what the movies showed characters doing with the Force because everyone just wants to have fun and let loose with all sorts of crazy Force powers rather than just emulating what happens in the movies absent the in-narrative couching of meaning that made those relatively low-key SFX so impactful.

ALSO THERE WILL BE WHILLS LIKE LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF WHILLS

It's going to be crazy Forcing all over the place. Like instead of "These are not the droids you're looking for" handwaving there'll be Force Mindswitch where Luke's mind temporarily goes into the target's brain and the target's mind is trapped in Luke's brain. There'll be Force Hyperspacetravel where Luke flies across star systems unassisted in under twelve parsecs. Force fire and force ice and lots of force lightning but also force thunder too. Instead of using the Force to jump high or whatever he'll just use the Force to move the entire planet down to where he is. And the Force will work on Hutts too now, Luke is going to use Force Shrink on so many hutts. Just shrink them down to nothing with the Force. Make em all small. Tearing blaster bolts from the air using Force Pull and and then using Force Timepush on the bolts so they hit the guys before they even pull the triggers. Force Bilocation, too, where Luke will be on two different planets at the same time. Form VIIIIIII of Lightsaber Combat where you manifest a half-dozen ghostly blue limbs and beat aliens to death. A lot of Force Resurrect too on those aliens once you beat them to death. Just a whole lotta Force all over everywhere all the time a hundred years.

ALL OF THIS IS CONFIRMED

I didn't realize that Kevin J. Anderson was writing the movie.

It has to be, right? They need some sort of in-narrative excuse for the extra-narrative demand for a huge level of SFX display - kind of like how The Force Unleashed videogames deliberately created a near-psychopathic out-of-control protagonist to justify the huge differences in what he/we could do with the force versus what the movies showed characters doing with the Force because everyone just wants to have fun and let loose with all sorts of crazy Force powers rather than just emulating what happens in the movies absent the in-narrative couching of meaning that made those relatively low-key SFX so impactful.

ALSO THERE WILL BE WHILLS LIKE LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF WHILLS

I totally see that. In 1999 there was a part of me that was watching The Matrix and TPM within months of each other and seeing Agents and Neo do stuff I wished Jedi would. TFU delivered on some of that.

That would not only give them some crazy new fx that are original to the ST, and still in keeping with the universe, but if Luke was the first total into that power it makes him a different kind of Jedi. Nothing in Jedi lore would explain it, and if it was a beast to control that would be a reason to go into hiding.

whatever man you can bag on KJA all you want a variable-length lightsaber showed up in the new animated show so we all know now what REALLY matters

I'm not entirely ripping him. His books were some of the first I read as a kid, so I got into the crazy displays of Force abilities and weapons outclassing the Death Star. Of course, I later realized how absurdly ridiculous it all was (even for the EU), but I still enjoyed those books more than those written by many authors.

If you think about it, if he's sad and alone he pretty much followed Yoda's path. (Ben at least was checking in on Luke every now and then) The would be an interesting full circle.

Exactly.

And if he'll go bad, I could already see Han or Leia in the trailer saying 'Luke Skywalker has turned to the dark side.' But really I don't think it's gonna happen.

I'm not that staunch about it either way. As long as it doesn't start with a fully functional Jedi academy with teachers and students practicing saber techniques and force push all over machu picchu. I just never thought that would be plausible. luke had very little training himself, and he's going to start an academy? He'd be terrible at it. If this were the premise of the movie, the rest of it would probably be about one of the students falling to the dark side because the academy failed, and someone would have to go take him out. This is all very meh to me.

Forcing-pushing in Machu Picchu. That's exactly what I saw myself, but then again I think we were both traumatized by the Jango clone academy in the PT. We tend to use everything we know from before to predict the future of the saga. That's why the PT is legendary for horribly wrong predictions. I say, forget the EU, forget the games. Get ready for something new. The concept art completely through me off. I dunno what to expect anymore. Embrace the chaos and fear with me.

Luke is an idealist. Luke is the one who really brought balance to the Force. Luke, Luke, he's our man. If he can't do it, no one can.

Yeah but remember Luke is a baby-boomer though. Baby-boomers were really idealistic in the days of the OT but then they got middle-aged and even though the baby-boomers still accomplish a lot, they turned into some real cry-babies. I wouldn't be surprised if Luke is wearing a Hawaiian shirt in this one.

another doom-and-gloom movie with a reluctant/anti-hero would be boring.

I AGREE!

Turning Luke into an anti-Luke would be boring.

I disagree! We need a little craziness. It doesn't have to be another Anakin thing. The Juniors always go eccentric and crazy. Look at Carnage, Scott Evil, Glenn from Seed of Chucky.

But still don't mean I prefer to see that.

Also, you guys should consider that stormtroopers are still around. They fight for a mega-power. Not all on their own. That' for those of you who think a brand new Republic should already be established.

Enjoying all the speculation above - its great to have the buzz about a new Star Wars film!

There has been next to no info on this film so far, but we are led to believe that only Han has a significant role through the film compared to Luke and Leia, with the younger cast being more prominent. So that (if accurate) gives credibility to Luke bring in seclusion and being drawn out in the course of the film.

Enjoying the comments on the EU - I was very happy when the Heir to the Empire series came out. A chance for new adventures for the first time properly since ROTJ! Read a number more, but lost track for a variety of reasons. So it's funny to hear about how the new characters evolved.

Oh, and talking of Machu Pichu - a year ago yesterday, I was up there following a 3 day trek through the mountains!! Amazing place!

I don't see them getting too crazy with the force powers. Doing so would cheapen the whole thing. I've never read EU, but I've seen this happen in the video games. If you make force users too powerful it makes non force users less relevant.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.