UNCONFIRMED Star Wars news

Driver

Shooting somehow will start in 3 months. Rumor mill is prob about to explode, soya as we'll start talking about it!

This weekend there was a big supposed insider scoop saying:

1. Jesse Plemons (bastard Todd from Breaking Bad) is being considered for a lead part.

2. Another lead is a multiracial female that happens to be Ovi-Wan's granddaughter

3. Ardnt's draft supposedly focused on the Skywalker/Solo kids and JJ passed it up because he wanted a bigger role for Han, Luke and Leia.

My feelings...

1. Eh. Everyone under the sun has auditioned, and since the script has changed we don't even have an idea of the characters-- yet people are assuming he's Luke's son cause he "resembles" Mark Hamil... Cause apparently, if you're blonde you have to be Luke's kid.

2. I actually love the idea of Obi-WANs granddaughter. One, no one has thought of that before. Two, that may actually skirt interfering with the EU to focus on her instead of the solo twins. There's a twenty year gap in Obi-wan's story, safe to say he didn't spend all of it alone in the desert and messing with Tuskens.

3. I feel like this is total supposition. This thing is so tightly guarded I find it hard to believe anyone outside of the inner circle has seen the script. I'd expect more leaks of the script to actually happen once preproduction starts.. Which really, if shooting starts in April had better be ASAP if they plan to do things like build sets and fabricate props and costumes.

I love the idea of OB1 having a granddaughter because it completely blows up the EU. LOL

How's that?

It doesn't. His granddaughter can be easily written into it.

I don't know why he delights in the idea of the EU being destroyed anyway. So he doesn't like it. Fair enough, but I guess just because he doesn't like it means it has to be ruined for everyone. That's kind of a jackass thing to hope for.

Also, I hate when people say "OB1".

That's why I think the character idea is good-- it doesn't make the solo twins not exist and invalidate the EU by making them apocryphal. At the same time it makes a character that can be retconned into the EU if need be without too much hassle.

I don't love the EU, and I'd prefer characters from it NOT be in the movie, but I don't need to take it away from the people who do love it. This approach could keep all fans happy.

Question is, does Lucasfilm see the money made by the EU and think they can't alienate those fans by undoing it all? Or do they just assume that anyone who'd buy a Star Wars book is automatically going to buy a movie ticket regardless?

Zerimar-- would you? As somebody who likes the EU more than the movies would you not to see Episode 7 if you knew it was breaking EU continuity?

Zerimar-- would you? As somebody who likes the EU more than the movies would you not to see Episode 7 if you knew it was breaking EU continuity?

Oh, I plan on seeing it. Whether it wrecks continuity or not, I'll still watch it, and maybe even enjoy it. Whether I enjoy it as an alternate universe or not is irrelevant.

I think most EU lovers would roll with it. They put up with The Crystal Star ... they can put up with this.

I actually would kind of hate the idea of Obi-Wan having a daughter. Obi-Wan's had relationships in the EU (Satine in The Clone Wars, Siri in the books), and he's always been considered a "player" in fanfic circles because Ewan McGregor is hot.

But Obi-Wan is the quintessential Jedi. He might have been in love with women before, but he didn't let it get in the way of his being a Jedi. He would never have left the Order, and he certainly wouldn't have actually consummated a relationship or any romantic feelings he might have had.

That's why he was different from Anakin.

Meh, I can see it. The Order didn't exist, he abandoned the name Obi-Wan (but not Kenobi). Accepting that I don't know anything about anything set between the trilogies, it seems like he pretty much gave up being a Jedi until R2 brought him out of retirement.

I don't know why he delights in the idea of the EU being destroyed anyway. So he doesn't like it. Fair enough, but I guess just because he doesn't like it means it has to be ruined for everyone. That's kind of a jackass thing to hope for.

Sports fans root for another team to lose just out of spite and despite that team's fans being diehard and the fact those fans will be miserable if their team loses. And sports fans are just as fanatical about their teams are EU fans are about their EU, if not more. So it's no more or no less jackassery than that scenario and that happens all the time. All the time.

But Obi-Wan is the quintessential Jedi...He would never have left the Order...

He didn't have to leave the Order. It left him!

(OK, it was destroyed around him, but same difference.)

Is a priest still a priest if the religion he was a part of no longer exists?

Besides, from a purely practical standpoint, Kenobi would be irresponsible to keep his Force-sensitive genes to himself. If the Jedi Order was ever to be re-established, he'd be smart to start sowing some of those oats of his. Did he really have anything better to do while on Tatooine?

Didn't Ki Adi Mundi have a family? And wasn't that established during the TPM follow up, then have to be retconned after the "no attachment" rule was established?

Honestly, I'm fuzzy on the love is good, attachment is bad concept. Also, obviously the Jedi know that Force sensitivity can be passed on through family lines-- why wouldn't they take advantage of that?

Personally, I always thought being a Jedi would be the perfect set up for one night stands.

her: Are you staying for breakfast?

him: Oh-- no, sorry I thought you knew. I'm a Jedi. Not allowed, baby.

her: But you said you loved me!

him: last night is very hazy, you barely remember it

her: lastnightishazyIbarelyrmemberit

I just still don't see it. And story-wise, it doesn't work. Obi-Wan and Anakin are polar opposites for reasons. Obi-Wan is extremely by-the-book. And yes, I think he'd be that way even after the Order was destroyed. That's just the way he is. And I can't see him forming a romantic attachment with someone even after coming to the conclusion that attachments are okay.

Of course, my viewpoint has been tainted by the EU on this matter. :p

Especially since he was a lying liar from Liartown for the entire OT.

"I only have kids from a certain point of view, the view that avoids paying child support."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.