Boba Fett solo film "in pre-production"

Exodus

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/boba-fett-star-wars-spinoff-reportedly-in-pre/328751

Okay haters, sound off! Tell us why this is a mistake, or the appeasement of fanboys, or something like that.

I'm personally kind of happy to see this - especially if they can make it cool in spite of the haters who like to play the "useless throwaway character card."

Kasdan is said to be the writer.

I really, really want to be excited about this! I'm just a little scared to get my hopes up too high. He's one of my absolute favorite characters, but a large part of that has to do with the EU. So, it's very hard for me to know how I feel, given that we can't know exactly what they have in mind. If they stick to the EU for personality, feel, and maybe even history of the character, I'll almost certainly love it. I know the story will be totally knew, but that's fine as long as Fett is still Fett.

And I'm happy with who is attached to it and the time frame. Now, it'll be interesting to see if Temuera Morrison will play him. I hope so. If they went with the time just prior to Ep VI, Fett would be about 36. Morrison is currently 53, but given the hard life of a bounty hunter, the mystery surrounding Fett, and modern makeup & effects, I'm sure it would work fine.

What I love is there is this idea that we (fans) will burn out on Star Wars if they give us anything right now but when you look down the road, at least in rumorville, it is almost over the top what they will be bringing to the table with the many movies, game, TV, cartoon, theam park and books. I only have so much money I can/will spend on things and to think I will be spending that much only on Star Wars is... just not going to happen. Don't get me wrong but I like a slower, don't show me all your tricks, way the things came out in the past.

I'm a mixed bag.

On the one hand, I do think Boba Fett is overrated, and firmly maintain he died in the Sarlacc.

But... On the other hand, I always thought he was badass. With the coolest ship and armor.

I did NOT like what the PT made his origin story be, and I didn't like Morrisons voice being overdubbed Boba's original voice on the DVDs.

BUT if you take Boba Fett and Darth Maul as a pair in any Star Wats Lego game you can hit every minikit.

Also not sure how I feel about the fact that Star Wars is very cut and dry good vs evil, and Fett is technically a bad guy. If it takes place between trilogies and they make him an antihero it complicates his fate in the OT.

I'll put this in the wait and see category.

Even if I weren't already a huge fan of Fett, I would welcome the chance to have a non-cut & dry, B&W SW movie. He's as neutral as you get, really. Even without any EU info, all you know is that he's a feared bounty hunter. It stands to reason that such a character has taken out his share of nasty folks (unless they annoyingly go the cardboard route & make him someone who only takes bounties on nice old grannies or something). So, like Tank said, he's seen as a villain in the OT, but only because he happens to be after Han, a "good guy" (who is, himself, a criminal, though that also gets glossed over in the cut/dry effort - after all, I'm sure Han only smuggled medical supplies to needy worlds, right? That sounds like the sort of wholesome shipment that Jabba would hire somebody for).

Here's to hoping the new SW movies have more character depth than Lucas ever allowed.

Guest El Chalupacabra

IMHO, this Boba Fett movie could basically be the remnants of the rumored Star Wars Underworld TV series (about 6-7 years ago) that never materialized, and simply just made into a feature film. I actually think it could be fun, if done well. Boba Fett was one of my favorite Star Wars characters from childhood, so the kid in me hopes the movie is done right. The adult in me wants Fett to remain mysterious, and hopes this isn't an origin film, but more a Star Wars meets Spaghetti Western.

As far as a Han Solo movie, though, I'm not interested. After TPM, I am done with pint sized 10 year old heroes saving the universe.

Also not sure how I feel about the fact that Star Wars is very cut and dry good vs evil, and Fett is technically a bad guy. If it takes place between trilogies and they make him an antihero it complicates his fate in the OT.

I sort of disagree with that. Maybe that is true in the OT, but The PT , TCW, and video games, there are all kinds of examples of blurred lines, where good guys become bad guys, bad guys become good guys, and there are a lot of characters in between. The closest example I can cite is the game Bounty Hunter where Jango Fett is basically a protag in the game, yet was technically a bad guy in AOTC. Basically, Jango's fate would be echoed in Boba's fate, and a Boba Fett movie might just highlight it if done well.

That said, if there is a Boba Fett movie and it does well, there will probably be a sequel depicting him rocketing out of the sarlac's mouth!

I don't think they'd do an origin movie considering we've got all the pertinent information from AOTC and TCW.

And yeah, you're right about the TCW going to into grey areas. I supposed it wouldn't be much different from the fact that they present a lot of the clones in TCW with stand out personalities. Cody is as big of a hero as any of the Jedi and yet there's zero pathos shown in ROTS when he flips and tries to kill Obi-Wan.

Of course, that's because Lucas might be that cut and dry black and white guy, and Dave Filoni told a more nuanced story. If the new movies went in that direction I wouldn't be sad.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't think they'd do an origin movie considering we've got all the pertinent information from AOTC and TCW.

Of course we know he is a clone, but I meant the first time he wears the classic Boba Fett armor as an adult bounty hunter. TCW did touch on what happened to him after Jango died quite a bit.

Of course, that's because Lucas might be that cut and dry black and white guy, and Dave Filoni told a more nuanced story. If the new movies went in that direction I wouldn't be sad.

Another way to maybe look at it is that Lucas is a more simplistic story teller, too.

If Dave Filoni was a consultant or even writer of the new movies, I would be ecstatic.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as they throw out everything we learned about Boba Face from the Prequel Trilogy, I'm cool with it.

They can make this thing.

WELP, according to Latino Review you might get your way! The scoop they have says Kasdan was no fan of the PT and that his script starts with Boba Fett the Jango clone being killed. His killer isn't seen and he takes over the Fett identity, establishing that the Fett in the OT is still mister mysterious!

Somebody else repost this for Pong to see since has me blocked.

As long as they throw out everything we learned about Boba Face from the Prequel Trilogy, I'm cool with it.

They can make this thing.

WELP, according to Latino Review you might get your way! The scoop they have says Kasdan was no fan of the PT and that his script starts with Boba Fett the Jango clone being killed. His killer isn't seen and he takes over the Fett identity, establishing that the Fett in the OT is still mister mysterious!

Somebody else repost this for Pong to see since has me blocked.

I would, but I'd rather see Abrams just New52 the entire Star Wars universe than support Kasdan's fanboy idea. So forget it.

I just realized-- they can do this, then give us a Good Guy Boba Fett... Then at the end somebody else (or the original Boba that survived) does the same thing to him and we go back to bad guy boba fett for The OT!

Actually, didn't this happen in the EU? Haven't they had to retconning his original more than once? I know with AOTC they retconneda. Lot of boba back stories to being Jango back stories... But I feel like prior to that they gave some back story a bump and said it was some other dude in a copy set of armor.

It's the Spider-Man clone saga all over again!

If that happens, it makes me question why anyone would want to take on the Fett name. If Boba and Jango are both just going to go out like chumps, why would a mystery man want to be that guy? Unless his name is Chicken McFly, then I can understand wanting an upgrade.

I would rather see a Terminator-esque movie where Boba is a main character, but without having to be anything but a villain.

And yeah, you're right about the TCW going to into grey areas. I supposed it wouldn't be much different from the fact that they present a lot of the clones in TCW with stand out personalities. Cody is as big of a hero as any of the Jedi and yet there's zero pathos shown in ROTS when he flips and tries to kill Obi-Wan.

This sounds like the worst idea I've ever heard.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.