How do you tolerate friends your wife has that you cannot stand

RelentlessMalice

Why can't you just TELL your wife that you don't like her friends? No need to be nasty ("Your friends are all idiots! I can't stand being around them!"), just say you don't care for their company, would rather not spend any more time than is strictly necessary, and would not enjoy being on a cruise with them. If she wants to hang out with them on a ship, fine, but you'd rather stay home and watch sumo wrestling. You probably have friends that she doesn't like, either, so she should understand. If you can't be honest with each other, then why are you married?

I know exactly what you mean about people who always have a story that's better than yours. A former boss was like that. If you had an injury, she had the same one, only worse. If you had a cold, she had the 'flu, and it lasted for two months. I've known other people like that, too, and it's impossible to hold a conversation with them, because it feels like a game of my-life-is-crappier-than-yours. Everything you say is a challenge for them to one-up you. If that's what her friends are like, then I feel for you.

• 6 months later...

Update: So its been several months since I started this topic so here is a update.

1. Refused for them to pay for us to go on a cruise.

2. Went to the fsu spring game and these people are fsu fans to and when they found out my wife and I were up there and we didnt tell them they got a bit sour.

3. My wife slowly but surely started getting a bit annoyed because they would just pop out of no where and tag along for things.

4. The husband went to far one day when he saw me and during the exchange he called himself my wifes second husband and I told "oh no you are not and dont you everyone say that again joking or otherwise and walked away" told my wife and it grossed her out that he said that.

5.Their child had a breakdown when she overheard my wife and I discussing the possibility of moving. These people live in our neighborhood because of us. The whole damn family is clingy.

6. Now tonight out of no where my wife was on facebook and said "I amgetting pissed!" I thought I was in trouble and then she says "I am so tired of her friending everyone I know that they have never met." All I said was I told you they are stalkers. She decided to block them or whatever.

These people are so nosey and try to invite themselves to stuff. When my wife goes to church,they will only go when she does and will not if she does. I literally have a radar for both of their cars at all times. I changed my walking route to avoid them. Now their oldest kid is starting at my school and I already told the GC and principal to not put him in my class.

Other than that everything is great!

I can enjoy passive aggressive behavior; if my neighbors obnoxiously party all night on a weekday with a weekday non-vacation day following then the next morning I will enjoy my superior sound system while they're trying to sleep it off.

However in a situation like you detail then the gloves have to come off, but first run your plan of action by your wife. No need to rock that boat by being an Angry Honest Abe if your wife has it handled or really disagrees with your plan of action. Also don't have this confrontation in front of, thru or around the couple's kids as that's a douche move.

Take the couple aside and just be Christian Bale. Some people are too dense to understand polite suggestion or requests.

No way Pong. I am a one woman man.

I love my wife to death and she is my soulmate but......

My wife finally has gotten the hint that these people are weird. It only took a year.

I am hoping these people take the hint but if not then I will go Christian Bale or actually I prefer going all Joe Peschi from goodfellas.

It's ah me! THT.

Take the couple aside and just be Christian Bale. Some people are too dense to understand polite suggestion or requests.

Is that a saying? Be Christian Bale? As in, scream at people? Educate me please. :)

I dunno if it is a saying, but I say it. Sometimes I add 'batman growl optional'. I've never had to add a caveat about not going 'American Psycho', but now that I think about it perhaps I should.

It's ah me! THT.

Is that a saying? Be Christian Bale? As in, scream at people? Educate me please. :)

I dunno if it is a saying, but I say it. Sometimes I add 'batman growl optional'. I've never had to add a caveat about not going 'American Psycho', but now that I think about it perhaps I should.

SWEAR TO ME!

batman1_400x400.jpg

The best thing you can possibly do is find another couple close to your age who are into the same kind of things you are.

This Summer has been one of the best ever, since my wife and I have been doing stuff practically every weekend with a couple a little younger than us. They also like doing stupid adventurous stuff, going to eat at new places, etc. Even when the other guy and me are doing boy stuff like playing video games or whatever, the girls go do something else on their own too.

I hate the 'burbs. I made the mistake of befriending a couple at an apartment complex when I was 20, and they were like this to a lesser extent. I have since perfected having cordial, but distant, neighborly relations. I don't even remember half their names.

• 5 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.