Ant-Man

Exodus

My wife and I were bored so we watched the sitcom Rules of Engagement. If Dis/Marvel ever wants to do anything with Young Hank Pym (as based on Michael Douglas) then they need to cast Oliver Hudson... eyes, general face shape, mannerisms, he's totally Romancing the Stone.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/554676183707967488/-gOyZE5U.jpeg

I was not excited for Iron Man, and got the sense that they were trying too hard to convince people it was fun: "Look at us, guys! This movie is FUN. There are quips. Robert Downey Jr. makes fun faces!" Alas, that kind of mugging is never much fun for me to watch -- but the buzz was so strong, I gave it a chance and ended up really enjoying it.

With Ant-Man, it feels like they aren't even trying for "Look at us, this is fun!" which is super odd, since it's supposedly got some great one-liners. And Paul Rudd.

The lack of buzz sure is bugging me.

Its Ant Man. He's more obscure a character to the general audience than the former B-lister who became a film A-lister (Iron Man). To comic fans, no matter what storylines have been created for any version of the Pym character in recent years, the very nature of a Great or Small comic book character reached the height of popularity in the 60s, but quickly lost its appeal in the decades to follow. Even other B / C characters (ex. Hawkeye) ended up with a stronger profile than Pym.

If Ant Man cannot replicate the Iron Man formula (troubled character turned into a tongue in cheek bad boy), then do not expect much in the way of another franchise character with several stand alone movies.

He was making a bee pun.

I got the pun, but I commentd b/c the point is real: no one is really talking about Ant Man. I hear more about a possible Black Widow solo film (lord, nooooooo) than Ant Man.

How much buzz was there about Guardians leading up to Winter Soldier? Or even Days of Future Past? Not much, if any. At that time, people were talking about those movies and were wondering how the hell a movie about a tree and a racoon was ever going to work. Right now, people are jazzed about Age of Ultron. Why would people be talking about a movie starring a likely unfamiliar character that comes out in four months, when in two months the sequel comes out to the most successful movie in the history of the genre?

I'm sure that after Ultron comes out, Marvel will crank up the publicity for Ant-Man and there will be plenty of buzz. Trust me, there will be buzzing - after all, it's supposed to have Yellowjacket! ;)

A lot of phase 3 seems like a big risk: finishing off the Thor and Cap trilogies, thrice rebooted Spider-Man, and a bunch of characters new to casual film goers. Ant-Man, to me, seems the most likely to flop.

Well, the Thor and Cap movies, themselves, are not risks. It may not be the end of those individual franchises, anyway, particularly Cap. Obviously, two more Avengers movies and another Guardians film are low risk. The only way a Marvel Spidey is a risk is if somehow the ridiculous speculation of them not using Peter Parker comes true. I believe Ant-Man is actually the end of Phase Two, but in general, of the upcoming lesser-knowns, I'd say Doctor Strange is probably the biggest risk - though I don't think any of them will flop.

Strange and Ant-Man will both likely do fine, Panther should do well, Ms. Marvel (as she'll always be to be) will likely get some buzz for being one of the first female solo films, and the Inhumans should do very well, with the seeds already being sown on TV and a built-in similarity to the X-Men and the track records of team movies in general making it at least a little more familiar territory.

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I think they'll all do well too, particularly Cap, Thor, and Guardians. Im not convinced about Spider-Man yet and I think all the new solo (and Inhumans) movies are risks. But yeah, Marvel has a great track record and I'm not worried--I just feel Ant-Man is the biggest question mark of them all. If Edgar wright hadn't been attached from the get go and strung it along for years and years before quitting because he didn't get his way, this never would've been made.

A lot of phase 3 seems like a big risk: finishing off the Thor and Cap trilogies, thrice rebooted Spider-Man, and a bunch of characters new to casual film goers. Ant-Man, to me, seems the most likely to flop.

Well, the Thor and Cap movies, themselves, are not risks. It may not be the end of those individual franchises, anyway, particularly Cap. Obviously, two more Avengers movies and another Guardians film are low risk. The only way a Marvel Spidey is a risk is if somehow the ridiculous speculation of them not using Peter Parker comes true. I believe Ant-Man is actually the end of Phase Two, but in general, of the upcoming lesser-knowns, I'd say Doctor Strange is probably the biggest risk - though I don't think any of them will flop.

Strange and Ant-Man will both likely do fine, Panther should do well, Ms. Marvel (as she'll always be to be) will likely get some buzz for being one of the first female solo films, and the Inhumans should do very well, with the seeds already being sown on TV and a built-in similarity to the X-Men and the track records of team movies in general making it at least a little more familiar territory.

i don't know. As individual superheroes go, Ant Man and Dr. Strange are so far down the ladder of cultural interest. I read silver/bronze age Strange comics, but in all of my years, I could not count a good three people who ever cared to even know the character. He does not have that legacy of lone character juice like Captain America or the Hulk (or decades of stories and merchandising geared for children--for early exposure).

Strange as an occasional guest in a group film is okay, but as a solo film headliner? Look, something has to give (read: fail) with the Marvel movies, and I don't think its much of a stretch to think Strange would be that concept that just does not work. I hope i'm wrong, since I like the character.

Like I said, I think he's the biggest risk. However, in a post-LOTR/Harry Potter, etc. world, magic is not an unfamiliar (or unpopular) story device. Guardians has also shown us that both lesser known and non-traditional superhero characters can work well, if done right. Marvel has the track record to suggest that they can and will do it right. So, the biggest risk on the schedule, yes - but by then, I think it'll be a fairly minor risk. Especially since it stars an actor who has already been connected to such high profile film franchises like The Hobbit and Star Trek, as well as an Academy Award's Best Picture.

I'm happy that they're willing to explore the variety that exists within the Marvel library. It may have inherent risks, but I think it's actually essential for long term success.

Again, Iron Man had none of that. Outside of a few random cartoon series throughout the decades, he never had cross over into pop culture outside of the comics. I think that when the proved you could take a comic A-lister, but a pop culture c-lister and make a successful movie they've proved that if the story is good and the actor carrying it pulls it off, people are okay with it.

They proved it again last year by giving us a talking raccoon with a machine gun to the tune of one of the top box office draws of the year based on a property that even comic fans didn't have a major vested interest in.

Yeah, I really can't believe that after the success of Guardians - a series that even many longtime Marvel fans weren't that familiar with and that featured main characters that were about as non-traditional as it gets - we're still getting doubts about what people will accept.

Again, Iron Man had none of that. Outside of a few random cartoon series throughout the decades, he never had cross over into pop culture outside of the comics. I think that when the proved you could take a comic A-lister, but a pop culture c-lister and make a successful movie they've proved that if the story is good and the actor carrying it pulls it off, people are okay with it.

They proved it again last year by giving us a talking raccoon with a machine gun to the tune of one of the top box office draws of the year based on a property that even comic fans didn't have a major vested interest in.

Still, the fact Iron Man had cartoons meant he was a bigger character to the studios who agreed to adapt him--and that dates back to the Marvel Super Heroes series from 1966. Strange--despite appearing in just about every other characters' titles-- just seems (as much as I hate to say it) sort of blah. Yes, I know the film will be tied to the other Marvel films, and be stuffed with Easter eggs to grab the loyalists, but he--unlike Guardians (which--at least--had a group of colorful characters in a bigger setting) just seems out of place.

Maybe he will be sufficiently updated to work in the current landscape (sort of like Dr. Fate or Zatanna in the WB Justice League cartoons), but for now, I just see him as a big anachronism.

Still, the fact Iron Man had cartoons meant he was a bigger character to the studios who agreed to adapt him--and that dates back to the Marvel Super Heroes series from 1966. Strange--despite appearing in just about every other characters' titles-- just seems (as much as I hate to say it) sort of blah. Yes, I know the film will be tied to the other Marvel films, and be stuffed with Easter eggs to grab the loyalists, but he--unlike Guardians (which--at least--had a group of colorful characters in a bigger setting) just seems out of place.

Maybe he will be sufficiently updated to work in the current landscape (sort of like Dr. Fate or Zatanna in the WB Justice League cartoons), but for now, I just see him as a big anachronism.

Ultimately, though, he has a cool name and a distinctive costume. That's still a big part of the game.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.