Ant-Man

Exodus

Obviously I'm a huge geek, but to be honest I only know Jessica Jones via her bio on a wikia. I am not even that familiar with Scott Lang. Except for reading modern trades I find at the library all my main 1st-hand comics experience is classic stuff mixed with a smattering of issues from the 90s X-Men #1 era (spanning Marvel, DC and Image). I was a teen then, but I met my wife so quick that my cash in hand went to dates and getting laid over comics. I have a great memory for geeky things however so picked up a bunch just by listening to buddies talk about stuff and reading Wizard.

For the longest time however my comics exposure was thanks to boxes and boxes of 50s to the late 60s comics. All sorts. They were my Pops comics, they've all be sold now unfortunately, but yeah that undoubtably explains a lot about my POV on a lot of characters.

I know rite?!

I've read tons in the last decade of being here though. All sorts. Still way behind people that buy monthly. eg. just finished DC52's first year of batman, hit that quick just to feel current. A year or so ago I finally read the initial runs of the Ultimate Universe.

As much as I'm a classic tights/capes geek, I like Madman and Hellboy style stuff the most. Atomic Robo is neat too. Big big fan of Elseworlds, probably the only thing I bought with any regularity my whole geekhood.

• 2 weeks later...

Marvel's track record is enough for me to give them the benefit of the doubt for both this and guardians of the galaxy.

I was really skeptical about the Iron Man movie. Iron Man was at best a second-rate hero in the Marvel Universe...right along with Thor and Captain America. Spider-man, X-men....those were the interesting storylines and cool titles. Of course, Iron Man was awesome. Thor was awesome. Captain America was awesome. While I am incredulous of an Ant-Man movie....hey, they did right by the others. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as well.

Ant-Man is better than DC Comics superhero called Matter Eater Lad, who has the power to digest anything. Or Marvel superhero called Squirrel Girl, who (you guessed it) can talk to and control squirrels. Afterthought: But at least those two powers are better than DC Comics superhero Color Kid, who (thankfully was not also Black) could change the color of anything he wanted.

The Human Torch (the one from the FF, I'm pretty sure, not ours) once fought some guy called Paste Pot Pete. The Legion of Superheroes once encountered something called the Super-Moby Dick of Space (trademarked, of course, 'cause that right there, that's pure gold) and at one point they considered adding one member named Fruit Boy and another named Arm Fall Off Boy.

I'm with Torch, when you look at the history of comic book names, Ant-Man really isn't so bad.

The best thing about Arm Fall Off Boy is how he tried to impress the Legion of Superheroes. Basically; "What power do I have? Check this out!" [rips off his arm] "And then I hit villains with it."

DC Comics tried to improve Color Kid at one point however. Color Kid got infected by... I just brain farted her name, but it was a character who's power was to infect people with diseases. Anyway, Contigious Girl infects Color Kid with a space-disease that changed his sex. So Color Kid turns into The Color Queen. Same powers, different sex, DC Comics was like bam! Improved!

Ant-Man is better than DC Comics superhero called Matter Eater Lad, who has the power to digest anything. Or Marvel superhero called Squirrel Girl, who (you guessed it) can talk to and control squirrels. Afterthought: But at least those two powers are better than DC Comics superhero Color Kid, who (thankfully was not also Black) could change the color of anything he wanted.

Do not mock the Legion.

• 3 months later...

Welp... Edgar Wright has bailed out. Marvel Studios says "a difference in creative vision." I translate that to mean the Wright's signature whip-pan, zoom, comedic visual style isn't in line with the look of the MCU and they said our way or the highway. No word if they are still using his script-- if they are staying on schedule I would assume so.

I guess Edgar wasn't the Wright man for the job huh? I'm antsy to see who the new director will be...

This thing on?

I was looking forward to an Edgar Wright super-hero movie, not an Ant-Man movie in and of itself. If they can bring in someone half as idiosyncratic as Wright, I suppose it could still work. But how many other directors would care that much about Ant-Man? How many years has Wright been working on this now? Like, three or four?

If he bailed because Marvel insisted it ape the style of the other films...to be honest, I'll be surprised if this survives past the storyboard stage and doesn't get shelved.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.