Ant-Man

Exodus

Guest Indymion

Came across this interesting tidbit from the writer of the issue himself, Mr. Shooter! Looks like he didn't even intend for it to be intentional.

http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/03/hank-pym-was-not-wife-beater.html

In that story (issue 213, I think), there is a scene in which Hank is supposed to have accidentally struck Jan while throwing his hands up in despair and frustration—making a sort of “get away from me” gesture while not looking at her. Bob Hall, who had been taught by John Buscema to always go for the most extreme action, turned that into a right cross! There was no time to have it redrawn, which, to this day has caused the tragic story of Hank Pym to be known as the “wife-beater” story.

Little peculiar that he describes it as a right cross since it was a back hand slap he gave her! I guess it could stil be seen as accidental. It would be like when Peter Parker struck MJ while tussling with Ben Reilly.

Well, depending on the drug, they can sure do a hell of a lot more than just lower inhibitions, Dex. However, it's moot, since as I said, Pym was not just drunk or high, but mentally ill and quite literally not himself. From the Marvel Database:

Pym accidentally dropped and smashed some vials containing various unknown gases. The released gases wreaked a radical temporary personality change in Pym, what could be seen as a severe case of schizophrenia.

This entry calls it a lab accident. I seem to remember (and have read other accounts) that say that it was intentionally done to him by someone else. My guess is the exact details have probably been told different or retconned over the years. Either way, it amounts to Pym being seriously f'd up in the head at that time as a result of outside forces. I'm not saying he should get a free pass, necessarily, but in light of the circumstances, I find it hard to lay it all at his feet, either.

And that is a very interesting quote, Indymion! :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where the hell you go on the internet--I haven't seen anything like that.

Definitely interested in this casting, it's totally out of the blue. They're attracting more and more A listers and I love it.

It probably won't be this movie, but I hope at some point one of these characters become Giant Man.

I don't know where the hell you go on the internet--I haven't seen anything like that.

Facebook versions of Cinemablend, Cosmic Book News, and a couple others. It's like they're reading the headline and not bothering to click the link.

Hoping they cast a young Pym and don't do what X-Men Origins did with the Professor.

That's kind of awesome. That would make Lang a contemporary to Howard Stark instead of Tony. They could do a lot with that, and they can dodge the wife beatery.

Plenty of fertile ground. Those guys had to do something waiting for Cap to thaw.

• 4 weeks later...

Curious as to who she would play. Seems they're going to continue to change things if she's Wasp. Unless they only have her in the rumored young Hank Pym portions, which seems unlikely, as that would probably be just a short portion of the film. Wasp isn't absolutely necessary for the film, of course, but there sure is plenty of room for more female heroes in the cinematic MU and Wasp is one of the more popular ones.

I doubt we'd see that. I would guess Jessica Jones is being reserved for the Netflix series since they seem to be tapping into the street/Max side of Marvel. Lang cameoed in in Alias, she was never in any of his top-line stories.

And I think she was Jewel. Power Woman didn't happen until she married Luke Cage.

Just have her be Tauriel. No explanation whatsoever. It's long past time the Marvel movies embraced the Extra-Canonical Crossover aspect of the Marvel U (Conan! Godzilla! 2001 : A Space Odyssey!) with a character from another franchise dropped into their own.

Torch-- what Jessica Jones are you familiar with? As of late they've superheroed her up a bit, as part of cleaning up and being sanitized for NOT Max books. Her powers have always been pretty weak, and she was most defined as an alcoholic detective that had a fetish for boning superhoroes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.