Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Fantasy Movies Lord of the Rings Hobbit Tolkien Cumberbatch Freeman

50 replies to this topic

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,400 posts

i am going to see this in IMAX this weekend. IF IT KILLS ME. Second viewing. FYI.

• The Kurgan +1 this

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

There can be only one

• 2,099 posts
It would rock on IMAX. Outside of my price range though.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,400 posts

Our IMAX theater is $12.50. I am not sure what the cost would be in Canadian dollars but i still think its cheaper to see a movie in my town that other areas. We have a brand new theater that still charges $7.50 for regular movies.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• 19,360 posts

Haha Kurgan is poor!

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,838 posts
Converting Texan to Canadian is almost impossible. Due to the complexity involved, and the need to add more nudity for Canadian audiences (increasing cost of the film), movie tickets are roughly C$500.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

There can be only one

• 2,099 posts
Not really poor so much as a lot of mouths to feed.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,400 posts
I didn't mean for my post to be mean. :(

Since I last saw a movie in an actual theater back in 2012 before the Hobbit, The Desolation of Smaug this holiday...

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

There can be only one

• 2,099 posts

Our IMAX theater is $12.50. I am not sure what the cost would be in Canadian dollars but i still think its cheaper to see a movie in my town that other areas. We have a brand new theater that still charges $7.50 for regular movies.

You're kidding????

Even allowing for exchange rates, that's a song compared to what it is up here. Thirteen bucks for a regular theater, sixteen for a 3D film like this one. Twenty for an Imax.

I'd do it - twenty bucks isn't much to me, but dragging the insistent wife and kids along, plus popcorn and all that. Different matter then.

Evolence

Evolence

Miss Nail Polish

• Members
  • 12,149 posts
I have not seen this film. I will probably buy the DVD (yes, DVD, we don't have a BluRay player) if/when it is released. I am sort of in the same camp as Odine. I watched The Hobbit and was just not generally impressed. It felt like a chore to make it through the film-- I tried several times. Admittedly, a few times I was tired so I won't fault the movie for that.

But watching the first one I found myself saying, "I don't remember that from the book." The book was not as long as this movie, yet they are making three of these? Driver would be a better one to talk about the art of writing screenplays, but I've read things to the effect of a well made movie having every scene propel along the story. My feeling is that for this trilogy, that is not happening. There are far too many "diversions" and attempts to work in secondary characters from the LOTR mythos. That may not be a bad thing per say, but it strikes me as an attempt to milk this cash cow rather than to make a compelling masterpiece of cinema.

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,213 posts
I really wanna see desolation of Smaug, just to see if it validates my opinion or not, plus I just really wanna see it. But not had the time to go yet. My brother said he enjoyed it a lot more than the first Hobbit outing, so I'm hopeful. But if there is the option, I'll definately be trying to find a screening NOT in 48fps, because I'm pretty sure (but not certain) they did multiple releases. And I won't be watching it in 3D. I'm over that novelty. Just get headaches from that stuff now.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts

I really wished I hadn't seen it in 3D. It rarely adds to my enjoyment and I usually find it distracting. This film was no exception. Unfortunately, the wife and (especially) the kids all love it, so...  :whip:

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,400 posts

I am wondering if 3D at home is better now that the technology is being sold to view it at home. I get head aches from 3D at the theater.

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,213 posts

I really wished I hadn't seen it in 3D. It rarely adds to my enjoyment and I usually find it distracting. This film was no exception. Unfortunately, the wife and (especially) the kids all love it, so...  :whip:

Balls.

Ever tried going to the cinema with them, then sneak out to the "loo" and duck into another room screening what you really wanted to see that happens to be playing at the same time? Or is that bad dad material. (Future reference and that).

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
I thought there was a barrel escape in the book. But, it's been so long since I've read it that a lot of the cinematic changes aren't glaring to me. I've rather enjoyed the Elf stuff, especially Thranduil being an insufferable prick.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts

Re-read it recently. There is a barrel escape.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,403 posts
Just not with Legolas and Orc gymnastics.
  • Ms. Spam +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,400 posts

And Turlien or whatever her name is.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,838 posts

The longer I go, the more I realize that I really WANT to like these movies, but I just don't.

• Darth Krawlie +1 this

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,835 posts

That's pretty spot-on. I LOVED the LotR trilogy. I can rewatch those any time, any day. But the Hobbit movies? Not so much. I'm pretty much one and done. 

• Darth Krawlie +1 this

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
I'm liking them enough. Any cinematic adaptation is welcome. Lost Tales next!
  • Brando +1 this

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,838 posts

I can definitely see a huge Tolkien fan being really into them, and I've certainly read The Hobbit and LotR a couple times each, and my wife loves the movies, but I don't think I ever cared as much as I wanted to think I did.  I didn't see Return of the King in theaters, and not for over a year after it was on DVD.  So, to each his own, and it's unfair for me to bring my negativity into a place where there are those huge fans.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,835 posts

You're allowed to have an opinion you know. 

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• 19,360 posts

I liked The Hobbit. Expectations were a lot lower than for LotR, which helped, but it was genuinely a lot of fun. Will see DoS this weekend!

Evolence

Evolence

Miss Nail Polish

• Members
  • 12,149 posts

Okay, as I predicted, I ultimately bailed on seeing this film in theaters (which I always do with every film).  But I DID buy the DVD at WalMart last night.  Despite it being a 2.5 hour film and starting at close to 11:00 PM, I made it through the whole thing (another rarity).  Awesome!

So, it has been years since I read the book, so honestly I don't remember a lot of the smaller details.  I imagine that what Tolkien might have explained in a few pages the filmmakers extended into a 15 minute scene.  There's still lots of stuff that I am certain wasn't in the book-- Legolas/Tauriel (was she even a real character, or invented?), the whole Gandalf/Sauron sequence, etc.  But at the end of the day, I don't really mind.  What was embellished felt alright and seemed to blend the Hobbit into a more cohesive piece of the LOTR mythos.

Ultimately, a great film that was fun to watch.  Probably far from perfect, but I found myself more engaged on this one than the last.  I'm looking forward to the last in the series.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,835 posts

We bought it so the kid could watch. Rewatching is torture until you meet the dragon. 

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fantasy, Movies, Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, Tolkien, Cumberbatch, Freeman