2013 Nightly Time Capsule

Cerina

Dear Spam,

Stay focused to get your Masters so you can get a raise and actually start having a vacation again.

Also, please keep squashing the urge to go out and get a new car. Even though there are a lot of cool cars out there a paid off car is unique because you don't have to pay a car payment every month. I know you can do it. The cars in great shape and still smells new that you have now. Stay the course!

XOXO

Dear 2014 Nanci,

You made it. *high five*

You better have finished writing your current book and be in the process of finishing another one. If that one's done, too, more power to you! I also hope you snagged a literary agent. If you didn't, I hope you didn't get too depressed and instead focused on making your writing better. I hope you sold some more short stories. Keep writing them, they're good practice.

Keep traveling. This year you crossed Alaska off the list. If all goes well, you'll cross California off the list during Celebration VII.

Speaking of Star Wars, dear God I hope you know more about Episode VII and the future of the EU than I do right now.

It's been a spendy year, but I hope you saved some money.

Most of all, I hope you're still happy.

Love,

2013 Nanci

dear David 2014,

you better have at least lost 50 lbs and back to loving yourself. not just the people around you. that may sound really corny, but you have to stop wallowing in your self pity. you've given yourself plenty of time to feel sorry for yourself, now is the time to better your mental state and be the best possible dad you can be for keilan. remember, it was a rough, hot summer, being fat and sweaty, hating yourself while you would play with keilan outside, go to the park or zoo.

quit being a vagina, i say that with love,

David 2013

Dear end-of-2014 Conley,

I seriously hope this was a better year for you than 2013! That was garbage, let's try not to think about that. But man, this was probably a crazy year too! You're married now, holy crap. At least, I should hope so. Did it go alright? Hopefully the families didn't completely tear each other apart.

Your first game will have come out this year! I hope all that work you put in was worth it, and you'd better be working on something else awesome right now. I hope at least one of those coloring gigs came through, and we can try to do another convention next year after this year off.

I hope that new job worked out alright, and that it was worth it to leave the chocolate shop. But maybe you'll be a little healthier now without all that free chocolate.

Keep working hard, and let's make next year great too!

Love,

end-of-2013 Conley

• 2 weeks later...

Dear 2014 Kathleen,

You did it. You made it to Japan and, by the time you read this, you will have been here for over a year. Keep on loving your students. Remember their excitement at the Christmas party and how amazing it felt to be a part of that. You recently started branching out and finding Japanese friends--good! You also recently started speaking more Japanese--keep on that!

On a less positive note, you recently experienced some disappointment about Tom. Get over yourself. Going on a bender because of a guy is not you.

You better have gotten your ass in shape this year. You're an embarrassment compared to Japanese women. (Sidebar: you had just finished a pizza when you wrote that)

You haven't written at all since you got to Japan. It has been three months, dude. Get back on that horse.

More than anything, though, take moments to be thankful for what you have. You're happy. You're living your dreams. This is an amazing experience, and I hope you've been making the best of it.

Lots of love,

2013 Kathleen

End of 2014 Jacob. Twenty Fourteen is such a stupid sounding year. I hope it wasn't as stupid as it sounds, especially since Twenty Thirteen was pretty great.

Ten days into 2013, Lyra came home. She was four pounds fourteen ounces then. I mean, come on... and that's exactly double her birth weight. But you know that. Teething since May, first two teeth in August, and a bunch more finally started cutting just like a week or two ago. She realized she knew how to crawl after Thanksgiving, and sprint crawled immediately after. She won't let me sit down cuz she wants to grab my fingers to walk her around the house nonstop. I know she'll be walking on her own any second now, so I really hope you've kept up the treadmilling and exercising. You've done a great job with it the last few months of this year, so don't stop! Keep it up!

Buenos Aires. Remember that? Yeah.

I know you've probably talked about another kid by now. I hope whatever decision you and Katie have made (IF you've made a decision, and if you haven't that's totally fine!) is one you've both agreed on and decided for sure it's what you want. I don't want either of you being unsure or coaxed onto the other side for any reason. It's a big, serious decision. Whatever you guys agree on is the right decision--of that I have no doubt.

Do you have another job yet? I know I've written about that a lot in these time capsules before--if you don't have a new one, it's not the end of the world, but come on buddy. Your time is up. ESPECIALLY if another kid is on the way. You're a college graduate. You deserve to make more. You can figure it out. There's a way to maintain/upgrade your lifestyle and outlook without being a workaholic or spend decades more in school. You know how you and Katie work, you just gotta find the right place to plug yourself in. And you can. OR YOU ALREADY HAVE. IN WHICH CASE DON'T READ THIS PARAGRAPH YOU'VE ALREADY READ.

I hope you three have had an awesome year. I hope Lyra continues her retarded cuteness and fast growth. I hope Katie--you don't need to hope anything for her. You know how immensely lucky you are to have her. You're more likely to change than she is. Just don't forget to appreciate her and let her know it. You probably didn't take a trip this year, but that's okay, you're probably planning of the WrestleMania 31/Bay area trip by now. Also, I really hope Michael made it back to Arizona for a visit. Miss that kid. And you need him to give you a new tattoo. If you got it, I hope it's as awesome as you're planning.

Back to serious for a second... I hope you made some serious headway on your debt plans this year. You've made it a plan to put some serious dents into Katie's credit card bills and onto your own loans. You better have kept that plan. If not, I'mma kick your ass.

I ALSO HOPE NOAH AND CAPTAIN AMERICA AND GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY AND GODZILLA AND THE HOBBIT AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS AWESOME AND OH GOD YOU'RE SO CLOSE TO AVENGERS 2 NOW I CAN'T

Too many Christmas drinks. You're the man. Your family is amazing. Everything else can go **** itself.

Dear future Reese,

Hey girl! I know we've been thinking a lot lately about setting goals and resolutions that are more realistic, so I hope you've actually stuck to a few of them.

First off, we've got to start being more honest about our strengths and weaknesses. You know that you're better at things than you let yourself believe. Own it girl! And don't forget to stop lying about those things you're really not all that good at.

I hope your job is still going well, and has started to pay better. Did you finally get licensed? I also hope your marriage continues to be publicly "boring". Noah should be reading up a storm by now. Please keep encouraging him. He needs to be a reader; there are so few of them these days.

Husband said no vacation this year. So hopefully you replaced the AC system and the sliding glass doors instead. Actually, scratch that, I hope you replaced the AC and the doors AND took a vacation anyway. ;) Go back to Disney. Take another cruise. Sneak the boys up to Boston or DC. Or just head to the NW and visit people.

Love ya!

Past Reese

Guest El Chalupacabra

To 2014 me,

You conquered your personal BEAR that was the year 2013: thirteen being the hard luck number, indeed! It was a year of pain and loss and change. An auto accident that could have been much worse, the loss of your mother, helplessly watching the deterioration of your father and grandfather, watching your brother grow more distant and make choices that are sure to ruin him without being able to stop it, friends and coworkers leaving to move out of state or to other jobs, and so many other changes and unexpected bumps in the road in your life. Some were a long time coming, others were surprises. But you got through it, and there is good that happened in 2013, as well. You realized you have a good woman to stand beside you, at long last. You finally pulled the trigger and decided to go after a graduate degree, something that has been eating at you for 10 years, now. Hopefully, 2014 will be less turbulent, you won't suffer more loss, and you will be half way through your graduate program.

2013 me

Kurgan,

So you've FINALLY realized you're not exactly a spring chicken any more and that the (so far) good genetic hand you've been delt otherwise isn't good enough any more, if it ever was. If that bloated carcass of yours is any heavier by the time you read this, it had better be because of the muscle you've spent the last year building and not fat from the ****ty food you've wisely cut down on.

You've made some contingency plans in 2013, and those plans have more or less come to fruition, at least from a legal and financial stand point. I hope like hell that you haven't had to carry those plans out by the time you read this, but I do hope you're finally and fully prepared should the need ever arise. 'Cause you learned the hard way back in 2012 that it can.

There can be only one!

K

• 11 months later...

Dear future Reese,

Hey girl! I know we've been thinking a lot lately about setting goals and resolutions that are more realistic, so I hope you've actually stuck to a few of them.

First off, we've got to start being more honest about our strengths and weaknesses. You know that you're better at things than you let yourself believe. Own it girl! And don't forget to stop lying about those things you're really not all that good at.

I hope your job is still going well, and has started to pay better. Did you finally get licensed? I also hope your marriage continues to be publicly "boring". Noah should be reading up a storm by now. Please keep encouraging him. He needs to be a reader; there are so few of them these days.

Husband said no vacation this year. So hopefully you replaced the AC system and the sliding glass doors instead. Actually, scratch that, I hope you replaced the AC and the doors AND took a vacation anyway. ;) Go back to Disney. Take another cruise. Sneak the boys up to Boston or DC. Or just head to the NW and visit people.

Love ya!

Past Reese

Wow. Judging by this I had a huge failure of a year. ;)

Got fired from the job. Still no real estate license. Noah won't read to save his life! Did NOT replace the AC; took a vacation instead. :)

Kurgan,

So you've FINALLY realized you're not exactly a spring chicken any more and that the (so far) good genetic hand you've been delt otherwise isn't good enough any more, if it ever was. If that bloated carcass of yours is any heavier by the time you read this, it had better be because of the muscle you've spent the last year building and not fat from the ****ty food you've wisely cut down on.

<sigh>

I can't start an exercise program without getting violently ill or there being some catastrophe in my family. Once my mom is out of the hospital, in the new year ...

You've made some contingency plans in 2013, and those plans have more or less come to fruition, at least from a legal and financial stand point. I hope like hell that you haven't had to carry those plans out by the time you read this, but I do hope you're finally and fully prepared should the need ever arise. 'Cause you learned the hard way back in 2012 that it can.

Those plans still exist, but things have deescalated a LOT since then. I've since come to have a new respect for those who can own up to their mistakes and make good on trying to set things right. I know from experience how hard that is. There's no need for rash action now, and I'd be a bloody fool to have flown the coop, so to speak. The other side of it all, I guess, is not to lose faith in people too quickly. Change doesn't happen overnight.

Book? It's ALMOST done. I got sidetracked. It should be ready to query it by springtime. And I have the basics for my next book plotted out. (Don't punish me too much, okay?)

I did indeed go to Alaska, and it was totally awesome. I have a trip booked to California for Celebration Anaheim in April!

I DO know more about Episode VII! It's called The Force Awakens and I saw a teaser and I know some character names! The EU is now "Legends" but let's not dwell on that, okay?

I have the start of an emergency fund, and I didn't go into any debt!

Still happy.

*high five*

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.