Marvel and Netflix Team on Four Series Leading Up to The Defenders

Darth Krawlie

Guest El Chalupacabra

Since when is Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage, "four of Marvel's most popular characters?"

Other than Daredevil, I am barely aware of the other three. And Daredevil was sort of always a Batman rip-off to me, and I never got into him.

So, their "Defenders" is really going to be more "Heroes For Hire", then? There obviously won't be Hulk, Dr. Strange, Silver Surfer, Ant Man, Spider-Man, or Namor. If these other individual shows are all "leading" to it, then it sounds like that's who will be making up the team. I guess Cage and Iron Fist have both members, so that's something.

Plus, it sucks that I don't have Netflix.

Daredevil

Jessica Jones

Iron Fist

Luke Cage

Okay, I tried to put a YouTube video of the classic Sesame Street song "One of These Things" in here and it didn't work oh well

I'm thinking this cribs from Marvel's MAX line (especially with the inclusion of Jones) like the MCU is closer to its Ultimates than MU Proper.

Why do I feel so "Meh" about Jessica Jones? it's not like she's a bad character or anything but I don't feel like I'm going to like it.

I'm right there with you. She's a Bendis created and almost entirely Bendis written character --- it's difficult for me to imagine anyone else in the driver's seat even in an adaptation. That, plus the appeal of her original series was in a mature (well, mature for comic books, anyway) take on the Marvel Universe and while the Netflix platform should allow for all the cussing and nekkidness that would entail it presumably won't be happening in the presence of the mainstream characters which was a lot of what made the concept fun.

The comic she originated in is one of the best things Marvel has ever put out. It pretty much was the starting point of what Marvel has become in the last decade.

What? No. The starting point of the current ongoing Age of Marvel really began on September 9 1998 with the publication of the very first issue of Kevin Smith's Daredevil run from the Marvel Knights imprint.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is hardly a serious rant. Not even a pet peeve, really. Probably not even worth mentioning to be honest.

But this is the internet.

I'm sometimes bothered when an adaptation changes some of the minor details from its source material. I mean the really minor details that mean nothing to the story, but add a certain..I don't know..poetry to the work. Here's a lame example: in Nick Hornby's About a Boy, "cool guy" Will gives nerdy kid Marcus a Nirvana CD to help him with his taste in music. It has little to do with the story, but someone paying attention will realize that Nirvana recorded the song About a Girl...so, funny connection to the title. In the big screen adaptation, because it needs to update for the times, Hugh Grant's Will gives Marcus a Mystikal CD. Fine. But it loses that tiny poetic touch.

There are similar things with Daredevil that get missed, I think. I honestly can't remember much of the Ben Affleck version, thankfully, but I don't think it touched on Matt Murdock's catholic upbringing. It's a minor thing in that it's not integral to the character, and I can see why they might want to leave it out of a major motion picture and a Netflix TV series, but it adds that poetic touch -- a man in a devil suit who's a Christian. Like I said, small touch, but it adds a little...colour and shading, if you will. Similarly, I thought it was a nice touch that Matt was a redhead, so when other characters called him "Red" it had kind of a double meaning. But they cast another brown-haired guy to play him. Oh well. I guess art is dead.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.