Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Recommend me some comics

30 replies to this topic

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,736 posts

I used to be good at this stuff, as I used to collect. This is for my niece's 7 year old girl. Thanks Tank. I will pass those on.

If you're cool with indie publishers, we have a niece who utterly adored APE Entertainment's recent Strawberry Shortcake comics, a few issues of which we bought her at a con from one of its writers.

It's my understanding that IDW's My Little Pony line has a pretty healthy following, too.

And I second Tank's recommendation of Roger Langridge's Muppets comics.  Marvel will be reprinting all of those in a single omnibus soon, but the individual trades should still be out there.

If it has to be super-heroes, though...well, outside of back issues and old digests (which are largely fine, mind you), in terms of ongoing comics the dwindling kiddie market is one of the few areas in which DC currently beats Marvel for variety.

Edited by NumberSix, 09 March 2014 - 10:47 AM.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
I enjoyed Scratch9 from Hermes Press. (They also have great collections of the early comic strips. There's an article somewhere about kids responding more to detailed artwork, than the stereotypical "kiddie" style.)

Of course, you can't miss with Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Blanked on Power Pack, in any incarnation.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,390 posts

Totally gave her all the Calvin and Hobbes I had in the house. She's a reader!

• NumberSix and Ryn +1 this

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,384 posts

I'm 3 issues into Saga. It's brilliant!

• Ryn and Driver +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Yeah its one of the most original concepts I've seen in a while. And stays interesting.

Reply to this topic