Who is your political/ideological role model?

Pong Messiah

Guest El Chalupacabra
Bottom line is this Ev- it's not clear that Germany even goes to war with Poland in the first place if not for the UK security guarantee.

I disagree. War was inevitible between UK and Germany and also Germany would not have stopped until they gained Poland, at least part of it.

Even had it not been over Poland, it WOULD have been over France. You must remember Hitler's main goal at that point, in fact the reason for invading Poland, was to gain back the territory it lost in WWI. The loss of Eastern Prussia land-locked Germany, and the Germans were pissed about it. Not to mention, Germany wanted to expand into land it saw as traditionally belonging to "ethnic" Germans, IE the Anschluss movement. That would include not just into Austria, Sudetenland (Czechoslovakia), the rest of Bohemia and Moravia(Czechoslovakia), and the former territories ceded to Poland (pretty much the former eastern part of Prussia, especially for the need to have Danzig so that Germany had a port and wasn't land locked), but also it wanted the Alsace-Lorraine, territory that France and Germany fought over since the Franco-Prussian War. Germany was really itching to avenge itself over the way it was treated after WWI against the Allied Powers. War was coming for 20 years between France and Germany, regardless, which meant the UK and Germany would have eventually went to war, too. The UK wasn't going to just sit back while Europe was taken over, and essentially surrounded by Nazi German forces, especially when (not IF) France fell.

• 9 months later...

I almost always despise pundits from any part of an ideological spectrum, but some of what John Oliver is entertaining. This clip really grabbed me:

I research the effects of this, and I'm just not a gifted enough communicator to put it as eloquently as that. If I ever have to explain the current state of climate change, I would rather just pull my phone out and play that video.

Not saying "John Oliver is my guy", but I appreciate his moderate pissiness.

I greatly admire Theodore Roosevelt. That would probably be my guy. When I have intense nerve pain, when I'm in the middle of some natural hell-hole, I think, "Suck it up, get it done." Theodore Roosevelt had asthma, same as me, and he didn't let it hold him back.

I greatly admire Theodore Roosevelt. That would probably be my guy. When I have intense nerve pain, when I'm in the middle of some natural hell-hole, I think, "Suck it up, get it done." Theodore Roosevelt had asthma, same as me, and he didn't let it hold him back.

He was also almost surely bipolar, and had he been born the same year as you, would have had the exuberance regularly beaten out of him (figuratively) in school if it were not medicated away into zombiedom. And he would have definitely been medicated as an adult -- possibly committed for being a danger to himself or others at least once or twice... and definitely wouldn't be able to run for high office!

:eek:

About that John Oliver piece. I think it was the BBC that had an internal study showing how much a disservice to a subject was by thinking "fair and balanced" meant merely presenting a contradictory voice, no matter its real value (often minor or tangentially involved) to a topic. I think they've updated their criteria and presentation from that.

He was also almost surely bipolar, and had he been born the same year as you, would have had the exuberance regularly beaten out of him (figuratively) in school if it were not medicated away into zombiedom. And he would have definitely been medicated as an adult -- possibly committed for being a danger to himself or others at least once or twice... and definitely wouldn't be able to run for high office!

:eek:

What is your source for that? I've never heard anything that made me think he was unbalanced. My interest in Theodore Roosevelt is a passing interest, I really don't know much about his private life. He seems pretty typical of men of that era.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.