Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

ShadowDog

I see. Well, yes, it would be a shock if Simmons were Hydra. And yet, the actress has done such a good job of portraying a technobabbly geek with the complete inability to lie effectively (witness her lie-babbling at Sitwell many episodes back) that it would be incredibly difficult to buy her as a mole. I guess that speaks more to the Ms. Henstridge's acting than the character, though. It would be a shock for Fitz, but then we wouldn't have our FitzSimmons fixes anymore. Fitz would probably just die of a broken heart if Simmons betrayed him.

I kinda wish the episode had been more than just a lot of panicky chatting, and that 95% of the action wasn't implied offscreen because TV budget. I mean, I get that we need to see reactions to the major events, and they need to move puzzle pieces around and such, and they only have so much time, but it's like popping in a movie and fast-forwarding through all the good parts. I expect the DVD set or Netflix marathon will play better, but this is the kind of corner-cutting that hurts ratings and renders future seasons stillborn.

(It's cool that the ratings upticked over last week, but only very slightly.)

Favorite bits:

* Throwaway reference to the Griffin (actual Marvel villain)

* Coulson's breakdown. Any emotional reactions besides polite gasps or stern soldiering are a welcome change of pace.

* Ward stealing the "I'm everybody's type" line from an issue of Gail Simone's Red Sonja that just came out a couple weeks ago.

* Lanyards!

So, now that we've seen the metal plate in Garrett's side, and Koenig mentioned how the cannon shoots at anything airborne and metal, what are the odds of the season finale ending with someone tussling with Garrett, throwing him in the air, and SURPRISE AUTO-CANNON FATALITY.

...and good things from tonight:

* The "orientation".

* Yay Amy Acker!

* May's mom needs to be a regular. Now.

* Blackout! Sure, he's D-list, but he's actually from the comics. Wise choice not to use his real costume.

...and now I'm off to mourn the death of the Most Interesting Man in the Episode. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Best Twitter remark about this episode: "May's Mama: Agent of G.U.I.L.T." LMFAO

I dunno, Driver can hate all he wants but this shit has picked up since Captain America and it actually makes the rest of the season rewatchable ... something I wouldn't have believed a month ago I'd ever do.

Shows sometimes grow into their own. The X-Files, Star Trek Next Gen, and Supernatural were all slow as fuck their first seasons as they found their legs.

Having said that, I think its a little forced to turn 20 seconds of background chatter in Avengers into a whole Coulson backstory and now centering an episode around it. It was a joke about how Tony Stark didn't know anything personal about Coulson, we really didn't need to meet the Cellist. At least they made their savings throw by casting Amy Acker.

Like I said before-- I don't buy the "giving shows time to grow into themselves" line anymore. YES, great shows in the past had crap first seasons-- but that was in an era when shows were given the chance to grow.

Networks and audiences these days are far less patient, AND we are in a new golden age of television where a multitude of shows have proven that you can come out of the gate swinging and be amazing from the start.

SHIELD could be getting better, but it's because they've had to kick their own asses. Don't buy for a second this was the plan all along. They may have had ideas ahead of time, but the set-up of the show on episode one was closer to what the original plan was to be-- and it was a flawed plan. I'm a big fan of breaking things to fix them right, so if the new paradigm makes it a better show-- awesome. But for me, there's still just one time many tired trope in the mix.

Is there a reason why they keep name-checking Black Widow in these last two or three episodes? And, just to make sure everyone knows it's related to the film, they tossed in at least four references to Tony Stark. And let's add a conversation with Pepper Potts just for good measure.

Oh, and Skye's grand plan? Killing time in a cafe and tipping off the local cops. Really? Has she never seen Ward in action? Stick to computer stuff and leave the strategizing to someone smarter.

Coulson infiltrates the Bus while May runs around on a pointless errand? And the flying car does not have bullet-proof glass!

I was just glad to finally see three things I've long been looking forward to :

1) the flying car flying again (a sight somewhat ruined by product placement for hotel chains)

2) the creators of a modern day reluctantly violent African-American Deathlok credited alongside the creators of the OG future soldier Deathlok

3) an overdue revelation of how Coulson is sorta-kinda responsible for the mess he's been in all along

It seems I'll forgive any amount of plotholes, awkward interjections of Marvellanea (seriously, Man-Thing???), and lazy writing so long as flying car go fast zoom in sky.

Lola goes a long way toward making things cool, even though I was briefly reminded of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and I had no idea that, for someone who can jump high and punch hard, Deathlok sure takes his sweet time chasing a guy through a plane.

Second half of the season is still a welcome improvement over the first half. And I unblinked juuust long enough to catch the names of Rich Buckler and Dwayne McDuffie in the end credits, but missed anyone else. Nicely done, Marvel. :thumbsup:

Oh, and Skye's grand plan? Killing time in a cafe and tipping off the local cops. Really? Has she never seen Ward in action? Stick to computer stuff and leave the strategizing to someone smarter.

But her plan worked flawlessly. Nobody could predict that Deathlok would show up. Had he not, she would have gotten away Scot free. So I don't think this is fair criticism.

Her plan was good, I think, but it didn't go off flawlessly. The cops couldn't hold Ward (she should've expected that), and Skye couldn't get herself arrested without assaulting another cop. Then she still had to get away from Ward in a cop car, rather than be taken into protective custody, which was her goal!

Well maybe it wasn't a completely flawless plan but the results were there. She was racing away in the car. So her plan worked good enough. Nobody could have predicted meddling assed Deathlok showing up.

Given that, I just think what JC said was overly harsh.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.